Wanting to eat

Options
jamielslater
jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
So I am only 14 weeks out from surgery and all this week all I have wanted to do is eat. I am very strict about what I eat and I know I'm not really hungry, but I just feel like eating. Does anyone have any hints for me to battle the mental game of this? Any tricks would be greatly appriciated. I try to stay under 80 grams of carbs and over 60 grams of protein. I have been eating between 800 and 900 calories. I just feel like eating!

Replies

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree! Sip sip sip vs snack snack snack!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is just eat more. But make sure it's healthy food. At 14 weeks out i was probably eating 1500 calories or more a day. Drinking plenty of water will help satiate those feelings too.
  • jamielslater
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I could definitely use more fluids in my day.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Jamie, at 14 weeks post opt you are in a perfect place. Your calories are right where mine were at between 800/900 per day. At 14 weeks I think there is a certain amount of relief that you're past any complications and you're fully back on solid foods. That relief for some reason makes your brain say ok, now eat something. If you're truly hungry you need more protein. I'm not sure if you've set aside a few calories for snacks but you can add an ounce of chicken or turkey for a snack and still stay within your allowed calories. I had to push my evening meal to a later time because when I ate early I felt like I was hungry before bedtime. I try to put at least two hours between dinner and bed time. The other thing you can do is to exercise when you know you truly aren't hungry but your brain is saying eat something. Walk in place for 5 minutes, sit in a chair do leg lifts, lift a couple of 5 pound weights, anything you can do for 5 minutes followed by a few sips of water. The exercise will help you with the weight loss and the water will improve your hydration. You're doing good, stick with it.
  • jamielslater
    Options
    @loveshoe thank you so much for the encouragement. Today has definitly been better. When did you have surgery?
  • jamielslater
    Options
    @loveshoe do you mind if I ask your age and heighth? I really appriciate the feedback. I've been losing 1-2 lbs per week, which I'm happy about. I just wish I could get my head to catch up with my stomach.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Aztec4Life and @loveshoe - it is OK to eat a little more at this stage if you are truly hungry. At 14 weeks your body is in transition and some days you will need more fuel than others. It is almost impossible to overeat at this point, so don't sweat the extra snack or 100-200 calories. Just keep listening to your body, find your full signals and stop when your body tells you to. Some days you may need 1000 - 1100 to feel satisfied and that is OK. I know at some point around 3-4 months I had to increase my calorie intake in order to keep losing weight weight. I know it sounds counterproductive but for me, it worked. I tried going back to 800-900 and every time I did, I stalled. The guidelines are just that - guidelines because they work for most (but not all). It is not an exact science. So don't beat yourself up if some days you need a little extra. An extra string cheese or two is not going to derail you.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone else here. If you need an extra cheese stick, yogurt or whatever else to get you over a "hungry hump" then by all means do it. Most days for me 5 months post-op, 1200-ish calories per day is good enough. Every so often, it's not. If I eat 1400 or 1500 calories on those days to feel satisfied, it's still less than the 2274 daily I need to maintain my weight. Though, I usually feel guilty for eating more so will walk to burn some extra calories.

So even on days when I eat more, I'm still eating at an over 700 calorie deficit. I'm going to lose either way.
  • leahjhess
    leahjhess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I know that I am NOT physically hungry but my brain is telling me to eat something I will use cinnamon gum.
    It make my mouth happy and takes my focus off of food!
  • cepiotrowski3
    cepiotrowski3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I want to eat cause I want to eat!!....
    I drink cups of tea. I have found though I'm snacking again.
    I'm not hungry just want to bloody eat!!!!!
  • jamielslater
    Options
    I find some days are better than others. I know my problem is head hunger. I am going to have to get past that. Can anyone recommend a good book to read regarding this?
  • loveshoe
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Jamiee - I read 'The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition' I think it had an entire chapter about head hunger. I purchased from Amazon but you may be able to find at your local library. I also read 'The BIG Book on the Gastric Sleeve: Everything You Need To Know To Lose Weight and Live Well with the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, 2nd edition'. I can't remember which one was suggested/required reading before surgery.
  • jamielslater
    Options
    @loveshoe thank you for the input. Do you recommend one of the books over the other or are they both worth purchasing?
  • loveshoe
    Options
    Jamie, I can't remember if one book was better than the other. If you are a member of Amazon prime there are several bariatric books you can read for free on the Kindle or Kindle app. You can never have too much information. At my last bariatric support group meeting we were directed to this link for portion sizes and nutritional information. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/ It has nothing to do with WLS but does have good nutritional information. You can download it for free.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    @loveshoe Thanks for those book recommendations!