Fat Fast (~zero protein)

Options
VKetoV
VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-is-protein-fasting-bulletproof-diet/

I've done this several times with okay success. I'm curious as to what others think of this method...for myself, the reasoning is getting back to a low protein diet (~50grams/day) with the main bulk of energy from lipids (traditional keto). Also, feel that doing this long term would lead to lower blood urea nitrogen/better renal function (I don't think my body is cut out for high protein according to my lab results).

The trade off being less potential for growth (muscle) & less appetite suppression from higher protein intake; I would gladly trade these for better longevity though. I would also say, sleep quality has been improved as well as digestion from lowering protein.

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi there. My thoughts : I don't really like the term "fat fast, because those two words mean two opposite things. I'm also a bit hesitant in swallowing Asprey's argumentation. It has happened he interprets studies to support "his" protocols or products.

I think autophagy or mitophagy happens at energy deficit. The blog post from Asprey makes it sound like if you only restrict protein, then the benefits of fasting occurs. But that may not be very accurate. Because if the body has to metabolize energy intake, the self healing component will possibly be reduced or obliterated. I may be wrong about this. So if I understood things correctly: The body phases into autophagy AFTER PP is finished. Patrick talked a lot about mitophagy "hacking the mitochondria" in the latest ep. 601 on Joe Rogan now in January. If you're eating the meal plans Asprey suggests in the article, where is the deficit unless in teenytiny portions?

Look up Satchin Panda at Salk Institute or Valter Longo. They've both done studies on time restricted feeding and "fasting mimicking" protocols.

Good luck whichever method you choose!

Edit: If you look like your profile pic...maybe you're interested in the fascinating phenomenon they also talked about on JRE: myostatin inhibitor. They showed some incredible pics of bulky mice compared to the control.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well the main benefit from protein restriction to myself would be lowering Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (seen as dogma by bodybuilders...opposite of their goal). Yes, drastically lowering kcals is a must during "fat fasting". The whole myostatin inhibitor means as a drug has not quite panned out yet...despite bogus supplements claiming myostatin inhibition (all scams). His protocol is more like 5:2...being the 2, but failing to mention the importance of the deficit.

Anyways, back to traditional keto...quality/definition wise, not quite back at prime condition, but the struggle getting there is what re-motivates myself.

Yeah, I personally take everything Aspey says with a grain of salt...whether it be BPC or Nicotine (this idiot thinks it's okay to cut nicotine patches).
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Why are you worrying over "lower blood urea nitrogen/better renal function" Do you have abnormal numbers?

Re IGF-1. As you probably know, having more time of non-eating hours after post absorbative state is what lowers IGF-1 most effectively. But if you're not willing to go there, I totally get it. My colleagues look at me like I'm crazy for NOT eating lunch. At the same time...everyone who meets me for the first time is shocked to hear I'm mid 40's. They all claim I look at least a decade younger. I really think autophagy is slowing down aging. Many of my classmates already look like slightly dehydrated apples.

Re myostatin inhibitor. I literally watched the JRE podcast with R Patrick yesterday, so it was news to me such a phenomenon even existed. As usual you're on top of these things and way ahead of me, hehe. Although I find the whole concept of a total new way to maybe stay eternally "young" very intriguing, I have the utmost respect for the body's complex biochem.

(start rant)
    Chemically fiddling with mechanisms or pathways may have unintended consequences down the line. Just look at the scam statins are turning into: muscle cramps, muscle loss and giving 1 in 100 diabetes. For what? a preventative measure that actually doesn't prevent heart disease for patients with no previous heart disease... Along insulin, I'd guess statins are one of the biggest cash cows that are non-surgical. (okay rant over)

Btw, have you changed account?