Creative uses for hard boiled eggs

Options

Replies

• allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had egg salad today with avocados, bacon, tomatoes. Here is the recipe http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bacon-egg-avocado-and-tomato-salad/
    I added a couple of dollops of sour cream to it
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @mandycat223 that sounds like an interesting way to make HB eggs. I put mine in cold water with a tsp of vinegar (if they do crack they won't leak out all over), bring to a boil, take them off the heat and cover the pot for 15 minutes exactly, run cold water over them to cool enough to peel and they are perfect. Beautiful fluffy yellow yolks, no greenish ring, no egg stink, tender whites.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @ShanBanKrup we just throw ours in vinegar. We use balsamic vinegar though. We find the plain white is too lip puckering but we LOVE them in the balsamic. I don't remember the exact reason or science but I'm sure balsamic must have more carbs/sugar somehow but for the few we eat (and I am affected by even <20g/day) we don't have any issues.

We just put the eggs and vinegar in a big tupperware int the fridge. It does get a bit icky looking but they taste great and keep forever. Highly recommended to only use eggs in there that have stayed completely intact after peeling otherwise the vinegar will get much more icky much more quickly.

At halloween we make "spider eggs" by smashing a side of the shell on the counter, then putting it in the vinegar. The egg becomes stained where the crack is so after peeling looks (depending on your artistic cracking abilities) like a spider web :)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have also baked eggs in the shell.So easy.Preheat oven to 325.Placed eggs in muffin tin.Bake 23 minutes.Place in ice water 15 minutes.Peels easy.Just like boiled eggs!If your oven runs hot or the eggs scorch in spots cut down to 20 min
  • ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @gsp90x omg I love you! Thanks for letting me know that I can only use vinegar to preserve my hard boiled eggs for longer! I don't really want to have to go through all the trouble of boiling vinegar and then adding sugar and spices and whatnot. I know balsamic does have some carbs in it and I actually like regular vinegar. I can always throw some stevia in there maybe. Idk. But thank you for your help!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @ShanBanKrup I'm sure you realize this but... using the "only vinegar" method will extend the life of them, but is not the same as "preserving" them. Meaning, as long as they're kept in the fridge and cold, we find we lose track of how old they are. Though it's never more than a few months. Perserving with the boiling,canning etc will allow you to keep them outside the fridge until they're opened. But once opened, it's the same as the "chuck them in the vinegar" method. :) But by the sounds of it, you're not looking to keep them for posterity, just until you have time to eat them :) Give it a go! Good luck!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you want something quick, you can always slice them, put a bit of vegenaise, dust some black pepper, a little feta cheese, and eat with sliced cucumbers or better yet if you have some with keto bread, or fat head pizza crust.
  • ShanBanKrup
    Options
    @gsp90x as long as the "chuck them in vinegar" method allows me to extend their life a few extra weeks I'm happy. Is that so? I'm kinda confused by your response.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ShanBanKrup - I've used laughing cow cheese in addition to or in place of mayo sometimes to make the eggs. I would imagine cream cheese or marscapone or something would work similarly.

I also like doing microwave hard boiled eggs... (I have a link somewhere, but main think is to pierce the outer shell with a pushpin or something similar, put them covered in hot water, microwave at 50% for 4 minutes, let sit for 3 additional minutes, then put in cold water to be comfortable to touch. Once out of a dozen times did I have an egg explode, and it was just an odd one that the pressure hole didn't help...If the eggs are room temp, the above works really well - you might have to adjust the times. I find that "shaking" the egg after it is cooked and rested tells me how set it is - any shimmy and I have to cook them more, etc. But I find this way has given me the fluffiest yolks I've ever had.)

But as to other uses, one of my favorite things lately is to mix braunschweiger into freshly scrambled eggs, or make over medium eggs - the runny yolks but firm whites are a think of bliss.

Sometimes I just cut up hard boiled eggs into 1/4 or 1/8, with a little mustard for dipping, but if I do that, I tend to have a veggie/meat type plate to go with it.

Adding nutritional yeast to any scramble, any cheese egg preparation, or any eggs with butter amplifies the sharpness of either cheese or butter...

You can do baked egg biscuits, crustless quiche, frittatas, omelettes, etc. I find sausages a great way to sop up any yolk yumminess on the plate, etc.
  • ShanBanKrup
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss do you leave the pin in the egg or pierce it and leave the hole exposed while microwaving? Thanks for that tip! And all those meal ideas sound yummy.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    conniehgtv wrote: »
    I have also baked eggs in the shell.So easy.Preheat oven to 325.Placed eggs in muffin tin.Bake 23 minutes.Place in ice water 15 minutes.Peels easy.Just like boiled eggs!If your oven runs hot or the eggs scorch in spots cut down to 20 min

We did this. It was gross. The eggs had brown spots on them when they were peeled. They were no easier to peel and they did not taste the same as boiled.

I put a dozen in a saucepan, cover with cold water, put on a cold burner, add a splash of vinegar, turn the burner on high, walk away for 15 minutes, come back and drain them and run cold water over them and they're perfect. Easy to peel too. I find it depends more on the eggs you buy though. Foodland eggs always peel. The fresh 3 dozen I bought from a lady at work at xmas would not peel for all the praying in the world. I threw most of them out as they were no good for making devilled eggs.

I usually make an egg salad with diced eggs, cucumber, spring onion, celery and a little sliced capsicum. Stir through a spoonful of mayo and done.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    The old eggs are the ones that peel easier, very fresh eggs NEVER make good devilled eggs; there is no air space between the membrane and shell. An idea I use... buy 2 dozen, keep one dozen for boiled eggs NEXT WEEK, use the first dozen for scrambles etc in the first week.
    @EbonyDahlia I am sad that you threw out the wonderfully fresh eggs. :'( If you have difficulty peeling the first one (I always start at the bluntest end where the airspace usually is) then just use a knife and cut the others in half around the 'equators' like you would be putting it in an egg cup (anyone remember those, lol) then scoop the egg out with a spoon. Still not good for devilled but great for egg salad and not wasted.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh, did you pick those tricks up from the Egg Lady in Pink Flamingos?
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Egg cups... I wanted to post an NSFW couple of egg cups (for RalfLott) but then I thought better of it.
    Favorites of mine from Wallace and Gromit.
    4c4e8fa86f3d6e4f743f7934f55ee936.jpg
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    The old eggs are the ones that peel easier, very fresh eggs NEVER make good devilled eggs; there is no air space between the membrane and shell. An idea I use... buy 2 dozen, keep one dozen for boiled eggs NEXT WEEK, use the first dozen for scrambles etc in the first week.
    @EbonyDahlia I am sad that you threw out the wonderfully fresh eggs. :'( If you have difficulty peeling the first one (I always start at the bluntest end where the airspace usually is) then just use a knife and cut the others in half around the 'equators' like you would be putting it in an egg cup (anyone remember those, lol) then scoop the egg out with a spoon. Still not good for devilled but great for egg salad and not wasted.

I kept one dozen for egg salad, but the other two I threw out. I needed to make devilled eggs for xmas and they simply weren't useable. A full layer of the white peeled off of them when trying to peel them. I ended up having to send hubby out for supermarket eggs.
  • canadjineh
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

How Divine of you to think so, but no... I've raised chickens :D
    @EbonyDahlia it never fails, when you NEED to do devilled eggs the right ones are unavilable :/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

How Divine of you to think so, but no... I've raised chickens :D

I suppose the chicken came first.

• ABeautifulDistraction
    ABeautifulDistraction Posts: 348 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like to make a few different types of deviled eggs (traditional, Cajun bacon, and avocado), and a type of hash with corned beef.

For Cajun bacon deviled eggs I liberally sprinkle McCormick's Cajun seasoning on thick cut bacon while I fry it. Then crumble it in the yolk mixture. It's AHmazing!
    For the avocado eggs I use 12 egg yolks and mash in 1 avocado, 1 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, and 1 TBSP tarragon vinegar. Once I put the mixture back into the white halves I sprinkle smoked paprika across the tops.

For the hash I chop up 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs, add 1 pound chopped cooked corned beef, 2 TBSP diced onion, salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder. I fry it up in a skillet with butter and eat it with pork rinds.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @ShanBanKrup: I still eat a few beets on occasion so I make pickled beets and eggs. Purple eggs are pretty.

Shell a half dozen eggs
    Place in a glass container and add:
    1 14 ounce can of beets
    about 1/2 cup (or less) of ringed raw onions if you like
    a few whole cloves

Save the juice and mix in:
    1/2 cup sweetener
    1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup of water

Dump over the eggs (beets and onions if you use) and let sit in the fridge for 2-3 days until the eggs are pickled. If your carb amount doesn't allow a little beets/onions just don't eat them or perhaps a family member will like them. I love beets. I work them in. :)

This is similar to the recipe in allrecipes. It's Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs or something like that.

I can't wait to try this! Have you ever added in chopped cauliflower or okra pods?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a USE for eggs, but since people are talking about cooking methods, I just wanted to shared I have this old-school Sunbeam egg cooker:
    9COwc3k.jpg

And holy crapppppp it makes PERFECT eggs. Seriously, it's ridiculous. I rap the shells with a knuckle and can about peel them in one continuous piece most times :o

Love hard boiled eggs. Mixing them with canned salmon is once of my favorite uses. And of course egg salad and deviled eggs. Also plain. Pocket eggs, anyone?