Super new, don't know how to start.

Options
BethAnnieT
BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
I think I'd like to start swimming. I've had plantar fasciitis for several months and can no longer do my usual activities, like volleyball, tennis, running, spinning, and even walking.

So, I can swim, as in "not drown" and I learned the basic strokes like 30 years ago, as a kid. Is this enough know-how to start swimming for exercise? Should I take a few lessons?

And... how do I get started? I don't know what to.... DO.

I'm very frustrated with my body and feeling pretty dumb trying to start something totally new, so TIA for any help. :)

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @BethAnnieT ! You've come to the right place. I came here when my PF put me into the pool too. I had to give up my 5-6 weekly runs. I started in a deep water cardio class and saw people swimming laps. "Beautiful! I should do that!" Like you though, I could "not drown" in terms of my swim skills. There are lots of helpful people here who will point you in better directions than I can, but I watched a lot of basic drills on YouTube (goswim.com was a good one). It helped me to focus on one thing at a time. The endurance came little by little. Some days, I just couldn't use both arms and legs, so I'd use a kickboard or a pull bouy and give one or the other a break. I'm a much better swimmer than I was 2+ years ago when I started, although I still consider myself a beginner. Best of all, my PF is under control. I'm not risking it again, so I'm down to 1-2 runs per week and lots more pool time. Good luck! You're in great company here :)
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Welcome @BethAnnieT.

I would plan on starting with 3 days a week. At first if all you can do is 200 yards, or 400 yards, that is what you do, and slowly build up. Mix up strokes or do all freestyle, it is up to you. There is no one way to do it.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I started in may and thought I was going to drown or have a heart attacklol I enjoyed swimming so much and did it from may till oct. when I closed the pool. my pf was better and now I'm walking/hiking till I can open the pool again.
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm kind of almost looking forward to getting started! Just having some first-day jitters, I think. My main roadblock is finding a functional swimsuit. I've looked all over town and no luck so far. I think tonight I'll take my measurements and order online and hope for the best. :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    My main roadblock is finding a functional swimsuit. I've looked all over town and no luck so far. I think tonight I'll take my measurements and order online and hope for the best. :)

Believe it or not, I've had fairly good luck at thrift stores finding suits in ALL sizes (and I've got BIG hips and boobs. . . ) that have virtually no wear at all. It's like big women buy a swimsuit for one vacation, and then toss it out immediately.

And at $3 - $4 each, I don't feel bad when I bleach and wear one out with chlorine in 4 - 5 months.

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You have received some pretty good advice so far.

I just wanted to chip in to say that if you are in the market for a swimsuit and want to order online, check out swimoutlet.com. They are having some kind of super cyber sale with suits 90% off. I know this because I receive about 3 emails from them a day :/
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    Success! I went to a triathlon type store today and they had literally 2 swimsuits in my size. I bought the least hideous one for like $30 (on sale). I figure it will last me until I figure out if I'm going to enjoy and keep doing the swimming. Then I can really invest in some gear.

I'm planning to go for the first time on Tuesday 12/6. I have some fear of doing new things, so hopefully I won't chicken out.

Thanks again everyone for your help and tips!
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Glad you found a suit! And I look forward to hearing how your first time goes!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    Success! I went to a triathlon type store today and they had literally 2 swimsuits in my size. I bought the least hideous one for like $30 (on sale). I figure it will last me until I figure out if I'm going to enjoy and keep doing the swimming. Then I can really invest in some gear.

I'm planning to go for the first time on Tuesday 12/6. I have some fear of doing new things, so hopefully I won't chicken out.

Thanks again everyone for your help and tips!

Don't chicken out. Just go. Give it a shot. You don't have to stay for an hour. Besides, it can't possibly be as embarrassing as my first time, but then again, in the past few years, I have embarrassed myself so often that it's kind of a thing and it doesn't embarrass me as much... :lol:

You'll be fine. And we'll all be here waiting to hear how it went!!!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    so glad you got a suit. I'm so excited for you. the best think I jave done for my health was my first lap back in June. had I tried a different activity I don't think it would have stuck swimming was great cause my joints didn't hurt. as my weight comes off I can do other things now but swimming still my fav!!

you can do this and I hope it makes you feel as good after as it has for me!! remember your first swim will be the hardest and it gets easier everytime.

now I want to swim is it June yet??
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    I think I might actually be... excited... to go? I'm putting it on my work calendar so no one can schedule a meeting for that time and screw me over. :smiley:
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    I DID IT!

And I didn't die. Thanks for your support everyone. :) I'm so happy I went.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Well done! So glad you had a good experience. Now the question is, will you go again?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @BethAnnieT Congrats and welcome to the Water Rats.
    When I started ( 4 yrs ago ) I could not swim - that's right zero/zip/nada.
    The best thing I did was take a Scared Stiff learn to swim class ( it was the only one they had on the schedule ) a total of 4 of us in the class. Now I am a regular in the Adult Swim Club and a common distance for us is 2000m +.
    For now do what ever distance you can, then add one more length to it. If you add one length every week - it doesn't take long to start covering lots of meters.
    The on-line You Tube videos are a great resource.
    I always recommend a Pool Buoy for drills as it allows you to isolate the arm's and stroke motion from your legs.

Come join us at the Did you Swim Thread/group, the more the merrier.
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    Well done! So glad you had a good experience. Now the question is, will you go again?

Yes!! Plan is to go Thursday then aim for Tues/Thurs for the foreseeable future. If I can ever get back to playing volleyball on Tues/Thurs I can switch swimming to Mon/Wed.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Way to go! That's a great feeling :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group. Just keep swimming and swimming. Take it easy and enjoy, you will get stronger and faster.
    I like a pull-boy to help practice rotation, and wall flips, slow and steady wins the race. Good Luck.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The first time I got back in the pool, about 15 years ago, I had not done any lap swimming in a couple decades. I made it 6 laps before I felt like I was going to die.
    Eventually I got up to a mile. Stayed there for over a decade. Didn't swim regularly.
    Life intervened. Weight went up.
    Then I had to really start changing. Pushed myself harder. Arthritis in my feet eliminate running and impact aerobics. So I swim. A lot.
    Members here get a chuckle when I refer to my current daily distance as "slightly above average." But most swimmer have other options available. Luckily I love swimming. I also tend to be an introvert so being in my own head for a couple hours a day is fine with me :D
  • swimdeb1
    swimdeb1 Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Glad you're here. I joined a Masters Swim group ( over 18, all levels welcome) to help me tweak strokes, accountability and being in a group, getting to know people.
    We start each swim with 100 free, 100 kick with fins, and 100 pull with buoy.
    I also like to practice yoga poses and stretch on the pool deck when I'm finished. Very zen!
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I could swim but had no fitness when I started. I swam as far as I could and floated until I could swim some more. In the beginning I tried staying in the pool and moving as much as I could (with rests) for at least 30 mins to 40 mins. Over time and with improved fitness the lengths I swam improved. Gradually I could swim a length, then several lengths, then sets (so I could not lose count essentially). I now swim 40 laps/ 2kms 4 times a week.