LCHF, mainly plant-based, dairy-free, but not vegan...

Options
hexfiles
hexfiles Posts: 2 Member
Just thought I'd start by saying hello, and that I'm intending on posting a lot as my partner and I go through the low-carb diet/lifestyle change.

Logged my first day on MFP as a kind of mark for what I had classed as being a "normal day" (although did some exercise for the first time in too long), and was shocked at the amount of carbs that we were having.

My partner's dad swears by LCHF so thought we'd give it a go, but have made it a bit more tricky with it basically being plant-based, but incorporating eggs, and dairy-free, because of my partner being lactose intolerant.

Was originally looking at keto diets, but 20g of carbs does not seem like enough to work with whilst we start this diet, so realistically, looking at 75g? Obviously chime in if this seems too high or would not give great results!

So just wondered if anyone has a diet similar to this, and wants to share diaries?

Replies

• ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Welcome! I am not dairy free, but I used to be. I followed a strict AIP protocol with added restrictions for over a year, so I may have a few recipes that would work for you. I will go through my backlog and check.
    I can't answer your question, but there are members here who are a wealth of incredible information. Good luck to you!
  • Paleovmw
    Paleovmw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey Hexfiles also on a low carb high fat diet. Also dairy free. Once in while I will have something slip into my diet that is Lactose but try to keep it out. You can add me as a friend and check out my food diary. Might give you some ideas. I love chicken salad on lettuce leaves for lunch or make quick guacamole with sliced roast beef rolled in romaine lettuce leaves.

I use to think 20 carbs was too little too. So you just have to figure it out for yourself by trying different amounts and seeing what works for you! Best of luck!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    When I've been less low carb and am looking to get back at it, I usually "step down." Starting with 100g for a week, then the next week I'll keep it to 75, week after that I keep it to 50, then I'll judge how I feel and decide if I'm going down by 5s or 10s after that. As many will attest to, the low carb/keto flu is real and generally, I've noted over the years that this method keeps it at bay for me and makes transitioning my body off the carb addiction much more pleasant. It also means I'm more likely to stick with it. Good luck!
  • hexfiles
    hexfiles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @mmultanen Yes, I also thought 75g sounds like not enough, but I'm still getting my head around weighing and cataloguing everything, so may end up adjusting the amounts when I start.

@Paleovmw Those recipes do sound lovely, and I think I just have to keep it in mind that sometimes something quick and simple would help me much more when it comes to meal planning, because at the minute I'm super flummoxed aha!

I especially want to say thank you to @ABeautifulDistraction for sending me all the recipes! Really, super kind, and very helpful.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I use lactose free dairy = less carbs cause no milk sugar ;) But quite seldom, maybe max twice a month, probably less.

Good luck and tweak your diet according to your goals, but make sure you get enough Vit B12 :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    hexfiles wrote: »
    Just thought I'd start by saying hello, and that I'm intending on posting a lot as my partner and I go through the low-carb diet/lifestyle change.

Logged my first day on MFP as a kind of mark for what I had classed as being a "normal day" (although did some exercise for the first time in too long), and was shocked at the amount of carbs that we were having.

My partner's dad swears by LCHF so thought we'd give it a go, but have made it a bit more tricky with it basically being plant-based, but incorporating eggs, and dairy-free, because of my partner being lactose intolerant.

Was originally looking at keto diets, but 20g of carbs does not seem like enough to work with whilst we start this diet, so realistically, looking at 75g? Obviously chime in if this seems too high or would not give great results!

So just wondered if anyone has a diet similar to this, and wants to share diaries?

Check out the current Atkins diet. They have a plan for vegan/vegetarians. Dairy just adds more carb and fats, so you should find some good resources there. Be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet.

Good luck on your Journey.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Some people around here do just fine staying under 150g total. If most of your carbs are coming from non starchy veggies you'll probably do quite well. Even if some do still come from starchy ones and even higher sugar fruits, It seems like the common theme of long term success is getting control over appetite in a way that prevents overeating and the need to eat very often. It's fairly common that keeping foods that require a big boost of insulin down to the bare minimum has a lot to do with gaining the appetite control. And of course getting adequate protein and healthy fat...
    The best advice i could offer is to get started and make adjustments without bargaining for not so great foods along the way.
    I started out differently than where I settled and I think most of us that have been at it for at least several months probably have.
    Just know that if you make changes at some point, it's not starting over or failing at the first plan. It's just learning and taking queues from your body as you go. I've really learned to listen to my body. When it's feeling good, I must be doing something right!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside, the Explore Asian brand of legume and bean based pastas are quite useful in vegan/vegetarian LCHF diets. They are a great source of low carb protein and just add your own fatty sauces. I use them because I like pasta but also need to be gluten free and don't need the extra carbs from rice or corn pastas.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly plant based, some fish, occasional chicken, rare steak.

But I'm not low carb, just SLOW carb. Have you googled ecoatkins?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Veganhealth.org has a ton of great info.

There's a short section on pre-diabetes that transfers well to LCHF. It refers to Eco-Atkins (and to Cronometer.com for nutrient tracking):
    http://veganhealth.org/articles/diabetes+pre+type+2+lean

PS We're talking net carbs, sí?
    20g net carbs being a different animal than 20g total....