Weav Run - New music app for runners

Options
Aerocrazd
Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
I have just came across this new app that has running music that speeds up and slows down depending on your speed. This is a blurb from the website (which i'll link below):

The app measures how fast you run, and continuously adapts the tempo of our music to fit. No matter how fast or slow you run, your feet will always be in sync with the beat of the music. It’s a pretty magical experience that makes your runs much more enjoyable. You will run a bit faster, for a bit longer, a bit more often.

The app was just release on January 3, 2017 to Itunes only. https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1128018936?mt=8

I don't have an iphone any longer so I'm hoping that someone will give this a try and let us know how it you like it. They are currently working on the Android version and new music. I hope its released soon.

Here is the link to the website: https://medium.com/@weavmusic/music-to-keep-your-new-years-resolution-31d0901ce74a#.dtkdy8hn7

Happy running!

sidenote: I have no affiliation with this company or website.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    That sounds really cool. I have an Android phone and I don't usually run with it, so I probably won't be trying it anytime soon, but I would love to hear the feedback from others who do. Thanks for posting.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Just downloaded. Will post something after my Sunday run. I am currently doing cadence training and I usually have my normal music playing while a metronome is going. There used to be some other apps that would do this, but it was only based on pace goals, not other metrics.
  • daj150
    Options
    Ugh, I just set it up. The pace control and interval training aren't available yet. And you cannot use your own music library. The music for the free list doesn't look too bad. I'll still try it out and post my feedback.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @daj150 - Did you use the app? If so, how was it?
  • daj150
    Options
    So, it has great potential. I am not a fan of some of the music, which, for me, is somewhat of a deal breaker. I would pay to be allowed to use my own music, but I understand why they did what they did. With Pace Control and Interval Training not being available, this app really doesn't help me out at all for the type of training I am doing.

However, with all of that said, using the available feature, Just Run is a really awesome concept. As you run, it will show your SPM, steps per minute, aka running cadence. The music adjusts to your SPM, or if you have a SPM goal, you can lock that SPM once you hit it. I am not getting rid of this app though. I am holding onto it and hoping to really dive in once Interval Training is released...and hoping they allow me to use my own music.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've been using Google Play (premium member) and making playlists using jog.fm for different paces. Usually I use my playlist for around 9 - 10 min. mile tempos. I have a faster playlist for faster runs.

The faster music helps me move more quickly. If the music changed for me instead of the other way around, I would not be motivated to move as quickly. The idea just doesn't work for me.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've been using Google Play (premium member) and making playlists using jog.fm for different paces. Usually I use my playlist for around 9 - 10 min. mile tempos. I have a faster playlist for faster runs.

@midwesterner85 I do the same thing except I set up a playlist based on a certain temp. When I started running my tempo & pace were related but I'm at the point now where they're mostly independent as I strive to keep my cadance up even at slower paces by shortening my stride.

The Google Play/Jog.fm combo is a fantastic resource!

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I tried it last night on a 5k run. My cadence is a really solid 180 bpm. Out of the 5 free songs, only 1 did not sound like utter trash at 180. It also requires you to turn on location services in order to use it, but then totally failed to accurately map my track, saying I only ran 1.73 miles.

The idea is interesting, but I'm not super impressed. I think I'll stick to Spotify.
  • daj150
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think they have figured out how to handle smoothing and track running. My run was on a road, so it had no issue with distance accuracy for mine.
  • alikonda
    edited January 2017
    Options
    daj150 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think they have figured out how to handle smoothing and track running. My run was on a road, so it had no issue with distance accuracy for mine.

When I say "my track" I really only meant my route. I was running around a neighborhood and down a waterfront path when I did my run, not doing laps! That wouldn't be a big problem for me, since I use my Garmin for mapping/pace anyway, but the fact that the music sounds terrible at an ideal cadence is a dealbreaker.
  • daj150
    Options
    Yeah, this is why I hope they allow people to use their own music...my running music can handle 160-200 with no problem.
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    I use an app called RockMyRun that (if you use the paid version) allows you to sync the music they offer to your run cadence. For January they've allowed non-paid members to sort of 'preview' the features (or maybe I'm just lucky?). Tried it on a run not too long ago, and thought it was sort of neat. They don't allow you to use your own music, but they've got a TON of music to choose from.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I use an app called RockMyRun that (if you use the paid version) allows you to sync the music they offer to your run cadence. For January they've allowed non-paid members to sort of 'preview' the features (or maybe I'm just lucky?). Tried it on a run not too long ago, and thought it was sort of neat. They don't allow you to use your own music, but they've got a TON of music to choose from.

How does it know what music cadence to set to? Do you have to have a specific cadence measurer or does it base it off your split times?
  • KonFortune
    KonFortune Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am having a really hard time finding music for that tempo range! My running cadence is around 180 and my music is either too slow or too frantic! Help! :smile:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @KonFortune Have you tried Jog.fm?
  • JustSomeEm
    Options

How does it know what music cadence to set to? Do you have to have a specific cadence measurer or does it base it off your split times?

You pick a steady BPM track, and your device feels your steps, so it speeds up/slows down based on your movement. I use an iphone, so the phone has the ability to track steps and movement. It might be different for you depending on what sort of device you're using.
  • JustSomeEm
    edited February 2017
    Options

You pick a steady BPM track, and your device feels your steps, so it speeds up/slows down based on your movement. I use an iphone, so the phone has the ability to track steps and movement. It might be different for you depending on what sort of device you're using.

Also - RockMyRun is a free app with some paid features, so you could download for free and see if the music they offer is something you'd be interested in running to... I think you also have the ability to purchase just a month of the 'upgraded' features (which includes the run-cadence-sync-thingy).
  • KonFortune
    KonFortune Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @KonFortune Have you tried Jog.fm?

Did I say I am a noob? :P
    I had come across but thanks for reminding me, it is super useful!
  • alikonda
    Options
    @KonFortune There are several 180 bpm playlists on Spotify, too - I frequently browse those to see what I might want to add to my personal 180 set.