Will keto eventually give me more energy??

Options
Hi! I'm the new kid on the kto block. I've been quietly doing keto for 8 days now. Just was reading some old posts and saw repeatedly how people love all their energy. Will I get that too? When?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How's your sodium intake? Low sodium is most common culprit.
    Besides that, trying to eat too low calories can be the cause.
    Not sure if weight loss is a goal so depending on how much available bodyfat you have, possibly too low fat intake if bodyfat isn't too high.
    Insulin resistance is another possible factor if it applies, making the use of fat for fuel a slower transition.

But honestly, sodium is the most common cause of low energy in the early days.
    You need a lot. 3000-5000mg every single day. Not occasionally. Not when you feel the symptoms. Every day. The more fluids you take in the more sodium you need. Same with exercise or sweating. Need more then too.
  • bluespidermonkey
    bluespidermonkey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i found after a couple of weeks of keto I felt a lot less sluggish and was not as tired as I used to be. When I had a slip up the old feelings returned. Stick with it and if your body reacts the same as others (I don't think everyone has the same experiences) you will get this too.
  • carolinebrussels
    carolinebrussels Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I feel the same. I'm absolutely exhausted in the evenings - ok in the morning. My sodium levels are high. I hope it's just my body getting used to things!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    For me it did. It took about 2-3 weeks, IIRC? Maybe a tad longer? (I started Nov '15.)
    And yes, definitely keep your electrolytes up. I did and it helped but even with that, my energy and especially my stamina were a bit low. I did a Thanksgiving 5K and had started keto Nov 2 so I was acutely aware of the reduced stamina and speed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you're tired in the evenings, @carolinebrussels - it might be that your body is saying it's not getting enough overall fuel or enough sleep!! Best to add more of sleep first, unless you're over 8 hours of quality sleep a night...then maybe look at nutrients and calories next!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I didn't get more energy per se, but more steady energy.

I no longer have energy dips after eating or when my blood sugar gets low.
  • ellevin11
    ellevin11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I have one of those days were I feel brimming with energy. But most days not! I have been faithfully lchf for just more than four weeks and my energy miracle did not arrive. I am taking supplements and salting food (and water)--some days I am better at it than others but overall I am good about keeping up my sodium intake.

Honestly, I just am starting to believe that being a woman, losing weight and having your body adapt can be draining and tough on a system. I am trying to be patient and keep plugging away.

At least I can say that my constant eating and carb cravings are pretty much over.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My first time, around two week mark I just felt much more Refresed. I'm day 3-again- sigh. So the sugar withdrawals are full force.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I
    ellevin11 wrote: »

Honestly, I just am starting to believe that being a woman, losing weight and having your body adapt can be draining and tough on a system. I am trying to be patient and keep plugging away.

I don't know if I'm Keto, or in Ketosis but I am low carb and at this point, am around 35G a day. ANY time I've done any kind of change to my diet/exercise routine that varies from the SAD I feel a bit off at first. Lower energy, tired, cranky, maybe headachy, I agree, that any body who makes any kind of deviation off the SAD shocks their body to a certain extent and feeling lethargic, tired, achy etc is your body's way of saying "WTF Just happened here?!?" Even my husband, who is not LC but has also made changes to his diet and exercise says he felt "off" at first. For me, If I still feel "off" after a couple of weeks, I start looking for reasons why. But at first, I agree with @ellevin11

All that said, I do notice that if I pay attention to my sodium levels I feel substantially better.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Extending time between your meals - just 15 - 30 minutes when you can, doing an IF, or adding some water fasting in was the main breakthrough on this for me, but you have to be careful if you have chronic health issues or underlying problems, as it adds additional stress to the body. Adding MCT oil (start slowly 1 tsp up to 3 times daily) can help with that boost of ketone clarity, too...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    ellevin11 wrote: »
    Every now and then I have one of those days were I feel brimming with energy. But most days not! I have been faithfully lchf for just more than four weeks and my energy miracle did not arrive. I am taking supplements and salting food (and water)--some days I am better at it than others but overall I am good about keeping up my sodium intake.

At least I can say that my constant eating and carb cravings are pretty much over.

@ellevin11 - Absolutely. Just losing weight can be enough stress to overwhelm and already strained body system!! Be careful, and look at support supplements to help bear this burden. Focus on sleep, stress management, and whole nutrition!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I naturally tend to be high energy. The difference for me was not more energy but rather avoiding the insulin spike crashes after the higher carb meals.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 8 and I'm finally really feeling the energy increase....might have felt it sooner if it hadn't been for the darn cold I caught.....

Get really antsy during the day at the office and have been having to get out at lunch and so some walking to work out some of this energy.
  • tierrafuego
    tierrafuego Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Generally I'd say I'm a tad bit more energetic, but that could also be due to getting in better shape, regardless of LCHF approach. But...I did have a dramatic "flu" onset about 10-12 days in to keto, and it was a beast. I slept a ton, listened to the brave souls on this board and upped my sodium and magnesium like crazy. After 36 hours or so it moved on and I felt great.

I agree that while it may not be (much) more energy, it's less up and down with energy crashes...and that, my friend, is well worth it. Good luck, drink broth.