Is this normal?

Options
leanne0605
leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Today is my second day eating more calories and I am hungrier today than I normally am. Here is the background info i posted in the newbie thread yesterday.:

I've currently been eating between 1000 and 1400 calories a day to lose weight but it isn't really working for me. I just calculated my BMR as 1537, TDEE as 2438 (2224 is the fitbit average), and Calorie goal for loss is 2072 using the calculator or 1981 using the fitbit average. The thought of eating so much is scary. Today I am trying to eat 2072 calories (or should it be 1981). I have my macros set at 40/30/30. Oh and I'm 5'3 3/4" and 176 lbs. I usually workout 30 mins a day 5-6 days a week doing HIIT and/or strength training and do yoga once or twice a week for an hour.

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal to be hungrier when you start giving your body an adequate amount of food. It's just your body saying "please keep doing that".
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The only way to truly find out what your TDEE is, is to test it. The calculators are a guide only - my TDEE ended up being 400 calories per day more than what the calculators said.

Good on you for eating more! It IS scary at first, but just do it! And you're hungry! Your body is telling you something right? ;) Why not eat 2070 for a while (like, 3-4 weeks) and see what happens? This all takes time. It's very hard to be trying to find your TDEE and wanting to lose at the same time. You have to do one or the other at any given time.

• leanne0605
    Options
    Why not eat 2070 for a while (like, 3-4 weeks) and see what happens? This all takes time. It's very hard to be trying to find your TDEE and wanting to lose at the same time. You have to do one or the other at any given time.

The plan is to eat at the level for a week and then go 2070 for awhile to see what happens. Eating more and watching macros is harder than I expected. But I'm up for the challenge of eating more and not less. Feels like freedom. Lol.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes! Totally normal and a great sign your metabolism is revving up again.
    Keep going!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Down .8 since Tuesday! Not too shabby since I've been eating a lot more calories then usual.
  • rhbrand
    rhbrand Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was just going to ask about being hungrier than usual. I'm up to 2000-2100 cals a day and I sometimes feel like I'm starving. Down a little in weight this week, so something is working!
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Well I learned my lesson. Yesterday I barely ate over my BMR thinking I need to eat less since Sunday is my rest day. Up 1 pound from Sunday morning. Not worried though.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It's usually easier if you average out your calorie goal for the week so you're not eating vastly less on a rest day.
    I find sometimes I'm actually hungrier on a rest day, especially if I had a good workout the day before.
    Recovery loves food!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL