4 miles today.
    3000 (55 minutes)
    500 kick board and fins
    500 pull buoy and pads
    3050 (55 minutes)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Ha- Lay-be-Jewel-Ya! after a week of being too sick to swim, I was back in the water today! Feels SO good!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    4500 yards @ 80 minutes

500 warm up
    10 x 50 @ 60 5 free/5 free/back
    5 x 100 @ 1:50 free
    5 x 200 @ 3:30 pull
    1000 kick with fins
    200 stroke technique
    10 x 50 @ 60 5 free/5 free/back
    300 loosen down

Focus for the work out, stop the superman push off and work on streamlining. Amazing how quickly I got back in the habit.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Adult Swim Club, we have grown. On avg we had 9 people in 2016, we now have 12 and that means 4 per lane. We swapped back and forth on lanes until we were matched up on speed.
    1750m

WarmUp; 50m; Fr, Kick, Bk, Kick, Fr

WO; 50m x 2 on 10 sec RI.
    Side kick, Face down, Switch lead arms on breath
    Stream Line kick on front
    3 - 6 - 3; 3 Stroke, 6 Kick, 3 Stroke; breath on 3rd stroke
    Distance / Stroke
    Shark Drill
    Finger Drag

50 Ez
    3 x 100m Fr; D/Stroke; last 25m fast
    6 x 50m Fr
    Cool Down 100 Bk, 100 Br, 50 Ez

That was a lot of fun and a real challenge due to the difference in speed between everybody.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    So, I'm usually a counter-- keeping track of my laps with my elaborate "affirmation alphabet" , but I am now in rehearsal for a one-woman play, and so went by clock time yesterday and today so I could practice my lines. Yesterday, I was right at my regular 72 to 73 minutes; today, it was right at 80.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    @Montepulciano, what's the superman push off? (I wonder if I'm doing it...)
    A decent swim yesterday after last Friday's disaster. 50 minutes. No idea how far. A mile, maybe?
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Had to look up the shark drill...cool. May add that in to focus on hand entry a bit. Thanks!
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Ah when you push off the wall and your hands are separated at shoulder width apart (like when superman flies) rather than being together and streamlined. This is a good explanation on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llQMyM8hR7U
  • juliet3455
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Double Dip Day. In the pool at noon and it was Glorious, 3 lanes and 2 swimmers.
    Started with 750m Tri-Athlon Time Trial. 18:05 = a PB for me. Still have a way to go as I want to be sub 17:00. So to knock off a minute on 30 lengths = 2 secs/length. Which sounds easy but I am at that point where the Gains/rewards are smaller than the effort put in.
    2 min RI then 200m Back, 200m Breast, 100m kick for 1250m total.

Back in the water at 6pm with 3 members of the Tri-Athlon club, they were doing their 750m TT. Another glorious swim as there was 6 lane swimmers and 8 public swimmers, so the LG's put in another lane for us. I split a lane with one of the TT and we stayed single sided to eliminate conflicts. Also since I wasn't TT if I saw the person coming for the wall I held back or accelerated to get out of the way making their turns easier. All I did was practise 3 stroke breathing, Flip turns @ Deep end, Touch and go turns in the shallow end. Still a work in progress on Flip Turns - more bad turns than good turns. The normal issues, Short, Long, Deep, Secondary arm push(pull) late etc. Wasn't counting lengths so based on time in the water best Guestimate is another 1000m.

Daily Total 2250m

@Montepulciano Ironic that you had a Flip Turn Video posted and that is what I was working on tonight.
    In my previous post I had the one drill listed as Shark Drill not to be confused with the related Shark Fin Drill which is quite different. Also the version we did after you did the Shark you would then complete a Stroke on that side and roll to repeat it on the other side. So many versions of the same drill with slight variations.

It can be overwhelming how many Video clips are available for swimming technique.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Another pus swim but a swim nonetheless. Iron levels still through the floor!

2000m

400 free

200 kick

4x 50 IMO

2x 100IM

200 kick

4x 50 IMO

2x 100IM

200 kick

200 easy pace (2.55)
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @emmab0902 At least you have found the issue with low iron levels, unfortunately it will take a while for the levels to build back up to a normal level. Hang in there.

Your 200 ez is a full minute faster than my race pace, I would love to have that skill.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Another no-count/ by the clock day: 70 minutes
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    4500 yards @ 80 minutes.

I read a list of 12 things that annoy coaches. Yeah, some of them hit home, like breaths in and out of the wall, lazy push offs (hence that particular focus this week) and of course the ever popular goggle delay. It doesn't matter if your 15 or 50, some things remain the same.
  • juliet3455
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Adult Swim Club 1550m

WarmUp; 50m; Fr, Kick, Bk, Kick, Bk

WO; Backstroke day. 50m x 2 ( 3 for the speedsters )
    Side kick - A version of 6 kick Switch; Switch sides on pull.
    Stream Line kick.
    Shark Fin, Lift Arm out of water, roll and then drop arm back into water.
    6 Kick Switch, 6 Kicks, Rotate & Pull.
    50m Distance / Stroke. 21 & 22 Strokes
    6 Kick

50 Ez
    6 x 75m Back; Fast on last 25m. 10s RI

Cool Down 50 Bk, 100 Br, 50 Ez 1550m

Again it was a really good workout, had one more lady join in so now we are at 13 members which makes for very crowded 3 lanes - busy workout. We are pace matched so it's not bad. The difficulty today was a few of the less experienced Back Stroker's were wandering around - crossing over the Imaginary Center Line and we had a few collisions, near misses and accidental Body Contact passes. Anyone who has done backstroke drills knows exactly what I mean.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    4500 yards @ 80 minutes.

I read a list of 12 things that annoy coaches. Yeah, some of them hit home, like breaths in and out of the wall, lazy push offs (hence that particular focus this week) and of course the ever popular goggle delay. It doesn't matter if your 15 or 50, some things remain the same.

Haha I can relate to this. First of all, last night my turns sucked big time. The main sets were 12x100 on 1:45 and 4 x200 on 3:30 and I breathed into almost every single turn. Horrible I know and I will confess to even breathing into a turn without a stroke.

BUT, I am proud to say, that I swam with 4 other people in my lane and --no joke-- I am old enough to be mother to each and everyone of them and they could not complete either set (many goggle problems,... ahem) and I did it all. At one point the coach really chewed them out.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I'm always in awe of distance and time in this group. And those who do both... wow.

I had another slow swim, but it made up for my crappy Friday swim last week. I got 55 minutes with relatively few goggle/music problems. At one point, I had water creeping in my ears (kills the music) and I was trying to get my 500y time. I considered stopping to fix my music, but I was in a rhythm and decided I could put up with it for the remaining 5 laps. Problem was, since I waited to take care of the music, I got distracted by that and forgot my time... :blush:
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    4500 @ 80 minutes. My arms are tired that it is Friday. Having a focus this week kept my head in the pool and over all better results I believe.
  • principalviolinist
    Options
    Newbie here....1200 yds at 40 minutes. Did kickboard (flutter and frog), free with pool buoy, breast, back, and side strokes.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Welcome @principalviolinist. Nice workout!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    10km plus an OCD lap. 3:28:Xx.
    220 laps.