Gas problems solved?

Options
nomorepuke
nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
Before I started my low carb diet a month ago, I had very bad gas problems. Sorry TMI but it smelled aweful. In public, I would keep it and it resulted into bloating.
Well, it's been over 2 weeks since I ever released any gas. Last night I did in bed. It had no smell whatsoever. It makes me wonder if my stomach is fully clean. What makes it smell so bad? I'm just curious. I don't know what's going on inside of my intestines.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The smell comes from the methane and other gases that are released as a by-product of digesting plant material. Since you are limiting plant material in this diet, you have decreased the amount of the by-products.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That's a prime example of how the chemicals in the foods that we eat affect our stomachs
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    Does plant material mean processed or artificial foods?
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat no less vegies than before low carb (i pretty much spend all my carbs on salad and veg) I feel it has more to do with the processed carbs causing gas as i very rarely expel gas any more at all and when i do its odorless - unless i have a cheat day and eat processed things, then im gassy for at least 48 hours :(
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    swing72 wrote: »
    I eat no less vegies than before low carb (i pretty much spend all my carbs on salad and veg) I feel it has more to do with the processed carbs causing gas as i very rarely expel gas any more at all and when i do its odorless - unless i have a cheat day and eat processed things, then im gassy for at least 48 hours :(

I'm with you. To clear the air, I gnaw down feed bags of kale, sauerkraut and other foods famous for musical theatrics - but I no longer eat carbs (including legumes) - and the atmosphere is none the wiser.

It sounds like our camp is divided between plant-gassers and carb-combusters.

The poet's generous heart, alas, has room for all of us....
    When your dinners are hearty with onions and beans,
    With garlic and claret and bacon and greens;

Your bowels get so busy distilling a gas
    That Nature insists you permit it to pass.

You are very polite and you try to exhale
    Without noise or odour – you frequently fail –

Expecting a zephyr, you carefully start,
    But even a deafer would call it, "a f@rt."

from the Ode to Four-Letter Words
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    I eat a ton of green veggies as well. When I google it. It says fiber in veggies makes you gassy. I don't think so. Veggies are my life line lol
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    swing72 wrote: »

This has been my experience as well. I can eat all kinds of 'gassy' veggies and have little to no gas but if I eat processed carbs I am gassy and bloated for a day or two.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    LC - the low-combustion alternative!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Fellow carb-gasser right here. I can eat my weight in veggies and only barely have any gas, let me eat a bunch of carbs and here it comes!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think too that it is incomplete digestion that contributes to the smell...
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    We have a lot of bacteria in there. Some good, some bad. The balance of these bacteria also matters in the quantity and umm.... quality of the gas.