Replacement for Popcorn?

Options
We do movie nights.... and it always has popcorn and soda. I am replacing the soda with water or tea. What do I replace the popcorn with?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nothing? Honest. It is possible to enjoy a movie without popcorn.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    BBQ pork rinds and sour cream are a good snack if it's the munching factor you're looking for. Otherwise, you might not even be hungry for a snack while keto anyway.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds?
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni. Just as salty, plus fat and sheer yum. I put a serving in a baggie and enjoy myself.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is where I like kale chips...To me, it's the closest popcorn flavor I've found. Just roast some kale leaves with a little oil & salt...It's a nice taste and crunch.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower might work too?? Salty and delicious. (I make roasted curry cauliflower.)
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I like to substitute with:
    Pork rinds and ghee, with various spices like garlic powder, cayenne pepper, tumeric, and pink Himalayan salt.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Moon cheese is a nice crunchy, salty snack
  • sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @macchiatto yum, care to share your recipe?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    sh512266 wrote: »

Sure thing! I love this:
    http://www.summertomato.com/roasted-curried-cauliflower-to-die-for
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    sh512266 wrote: »

Sure thing! I love this:
    http://www.summertomato.com/roasted-curried-cauliflower-to-die-for

I make a similar recipe that uses a whole head of cauliflower instead of florets. You mix the curry powder in full fat yogurt and coat the entire head, then roast it. In addition to tasting delicious, it looks pretty placed on a nice platter so it's a great dish to make for company. But it's not a good substitute for popcorn; I wouldn't take it to the movies! :-)
  • hanley1512
    hanley1512 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

nomorepuke wrote: »
    Sunflower seeds?

This!
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds or plantain chips and guacamole is what I go to when I want something salty and crunchy....but they are higher in carbs so only for an occasional treat.
  • gotblues66
    gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    pork rinds
    I am a chronic snacky crunchy salty kinda person when it comes to evening tv. That may be what I miss most on keto. Pork rinds are the only acceptable substitute I've found so far and frankly I'm already sick of them. I can have some nuts, but a handful is not even worth it. It's gone 5 minutes into the show. Miss you, popcorn!

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I purchased those individual bags of popcorn that total 100 calories. I allow myself one bag on movie night. Sometimes I skip the popcorn and just eat a measured amount of nuts instead.