when do you workout?

Options
Bhanbury
Bhanbury Posts: 8 Member
Since the start of the new year I have been struggling getting back into routine for gym time. So I am wondering when do you all workout?

I have a pretty full schedule during the weekdays and want to have a social life or see family or what not. I work a 9-5 and have classes to attend at university. Some are online so I have to plan time to sit down and do those. I don't sleep well so I try to get to bed by 930-1030 so I have a change to ger at least 4 hrs of sleep.

How do you guys fit it in!?

I want to lose 10-15 more lbs and I need to get at least 3 days in the gym ...but sooooo tiredddddd

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings, about an hour after I eat. I've always been a night person so it works for me. Can't do mornings. I think if I did cardio I'd have to do it before I eat, but I lift weights and that seems to be fine after a meal.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Early mornings are best for me.

I go to the gym on the way to work. Before I had a membership, I did dvds at home in the morning.
  • rambabean
    rambabean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've started going early morning before work and I've had so much more energy for the rest of the day BUT I'd never get out of bed that early if the boyfriend wasn't turning all the lights on and shouting about gym.
  • Bhanbury
    Bhanbury Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @rambabean and @MostlyWater how early is early? do you eat before?
  • viaTess
    viaTess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, I work from home so when I'm bored of work in the morning I hope on my stationary bike (a temporary light workout of spinning while my knees are in recovery). Then I shower, make a huge lunch and watch an episode of something to relax, then get back to work like a split shift.

The earlier I get bored with work the longer I have to workout!
  • JenniYo
    JenniYo Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I go to a M-F 5:30 am workout class, and I can't eat anything before it or I get nauseous. I eat breakfast right when I get home. Something that has changed my life is the alarm clock app Alarmy... you can set it so that you have to take a picture of an item in your house that you preselected to turn off the alarm. So I have to take a picture of my coffee pot to turn off my alarm. That provides just enough time for me to think rationally about not hitting snooze.

You may have just changed my life with that alarm clock.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Bhanbury wrote: »
    @rambabean and @MostlyWater how early is early? do you eat before?

I get up at 5:45 so I can leave the house by 6:15. I either make myself a smoothie or pack myself a Zico Coconut Water.

You get used to it!!!
  • rambabean
    rambabean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I gym about 7 but only for about 30 mins so I have time to shower before work so I can handle it without eating first.

At the weekend when I'd gym longer I have to eat an hour ish before or I'll feel sick.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    A huge part of me losing my final stubborn 5kg was simply getting more sleep. I'd prioritise sleep over exercise - simply fit it in when you can.
  • YCHoward
    YCHoward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning at home. I love the 'Slim in 6' series. You can get it cheap on Amazon or eBay. I get real results when I stick too it - and only exercise bands needed. I try to go to the gym on Mon and Wed evenings before I go teach at a local studio. I'm teaching beginners Tai Chi - so it's not a workout for me. I need to cardio to kick my metabolism into gear.
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    First I'll state that I've never been a morning person.

I now work 2 jobs (about 50-55hrs a week) and the schedule is all messed up because my FT job is 4pm-midnight and other PT job starts early at 10am sometimes. Anyways, it's about two things 1) motivation and 2) making it fit with your personality. I do need 9-10hrs of sleep and don't function well at the start of the day, so...I fit gym and home cardio/weight workouts either an hr BEFORE my work (at 3pm) and/or during my lunch break around 9pm.

So, it's something like this on most days:
    12 noon - wakeup
    1pm - breakfast
    3pm - workout
    work
    8pm - workout
    2-4am sleep
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    5:45 to 6:45 am. Have to be to work at 8am. Never eat prior, just one cup of coffee first. Oatmeal about 9AM.
  • dominiquepizzo
    dominiquepizzo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings. I am 100% a morning person and like to relax at night. My days are a little off because of my class times this semester - my boss was nice enough to let me shift my workday MW to accommodate classes.

My schedule is as follows:
    MW:
    5:00 & 5:05: alarm
    5:10-5:30: coffee & fitness motivation on instagram to wake up
    5:35-6:05: workout in my basement (Kayla Itsines' bikini body guide to supplement my half marathon training)
    6:10-6:45: get ready for work
    7:00-3:30: work
    4:00-6:00: university
    6:00: home

TRF: Pretty much the same, just shifted a little later.
    5:25 & 5:30: alarm
    5:35-6:00: coffee & light exercises to warm up before going out in the cold
    6:00-7:00: running
    7:10-7:45: get ready for work
    8:00-4:30: work
    5:00-7:00: university
    7:00: home

Hope someone finds this helpful!
  • MIRunnerMom
    MIRunnerMom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I meet friends to run 2x a week at 4:45 am and I go to the gym to lift and sometimes run at 5 ish the other 3 days. I don't eat anything before. It was hard to switch to this schedule but now I'm not sure how I ever did evening workouts. I have 2 small kids and we leave the house by 7:15 each day.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I do teach elementary music at three schools, so I do know that the dancing with the kids and movement are part of my workout. I try to get to the gym twice a week as well, I swim and use the bikes and sometimes the weight machines. I have some femur problems so I tend to get bursitis, and swimming really helps with that.
  • Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Tryingtogetfitdeb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I work out on an evening once our two young kids have gone to bed, I can't face getting up any earlier than I already do. I work 3 12 hour days a week and work out 3-4 times a week
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:45-have a green teal latte, get the 2 older kids to the bustop by 6:45 and am on the tread mill and doing weights by 7 am. The younger kids is up at 8 am so we dress and get ready to take her to school by 9am. I was never a morning person but having the kids sure did switch that up!
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    And I have a smoothie right after I work out.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    3 mornings a week I get up at about 6:30, do half hour-45 mins HIIT or kettlebell or cardio kickboxing workout at home (there are tons of free workout video channel options on youtube...Christine Salus, fitnessblender, Jillian Michaels, HasFit, Bodyfit by Amy, Body Project, Popsugar Fitness), then I get to work for 8. I'd usually be a ravenous beast as soon as I get up in the morning but I find mornings I do my workouts it staves off the hunger and I don't get hungry till I get to work. I think it would be tough to get up early enough to go to a gym in the morning (I live in a small town with no gym, so not an option anyways).