Question may be stupid

Options
viren19890
viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
Hello,

So I am wondering- is there anything that has less sugar but same sweetness? As in for my coffee at McDonalds I get 3 cream and 2 sugar -I'd like to reduce it since - those two sugar are 8g carbs.

Any way to get same level sweetness or more but with less carbs ? lol

If there isn't -think about if there were- it'll be so much easier for people to keep sugar low if they were diabetic or something.

BTW if there isn't and you use this idea then make sure I get a percentage lol -if there already is then I'd like to use that concoction to make my life easy lol

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    There are artificial sweeteners, but pay attention to how they impact your body. Some can trigger cravings, cause migraines or affect blood glucose. Personally, I use a little sugar free Torani syrup in my morning coffee.

Stevia is popular choice as it's more natural, but I don't like it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I buy Truvia packets (stevia/erythritol blend) and keep them with me for just that occasion. If it's summer, and I'm going to want a sweet tea, I order unsweetened and bring my liquid sucralose to sweeten it.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like the liquid Stevia/erythritol blend better than the straight liquid Stevia.....It does take a little while to get used to it....Of course it doesn't taste as good to us as straight sugar, but once you get used to it you'll hardly be able to tell a difference.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia in hot drinks and liquid stevia in cold drinks. You might need to do one sugar one Truvia for a few days and then switch to only Truvia. Everyone has to figure out what tastes and works for them. This is what worked for me.
  • viren19890
    Options
    So wait there is such a thing?

What on earth! So does McDonalds give it away? or it's like a special order purchase item?

SO I ask for black coffee ,3 cream and 1 stevia on side or how does it work?

What's the nutritional profile? less than 8 grams of carbs in each serving?
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants do carry the little packets of Splenda (another artificial sweetener), but I don't know if McDonalds does. You can purchase them in convenience size and add your own if they don't. Try out different ones though, there is a wide variety in "taste" with artificial sweeteners and people can react to them in different ways.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »

What on earth! So does McDonalds give it away? or it's like a special order purchase item?

There's often packets of sweeteners available, like the packets of sugar, but those tend to have maltodextrin as a filler - it's a starch that converts to sugar very quickly.

I tend to carry my own stevia. I get these tic tac like boxes of stevia "pellets" that dissolve quickly in coffee. I carry it in my purse but you coul always leave it in your car or something.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

So far I've only seen anything Stevia (blend or otherwise) at Starbucks....You would most likely have to buy your own to bring along with....I'd be leery of their creamer as well not knowing what the ingredients are. It might be worth looking up the nutritional facts at least.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options

McDonalds only has Splenda, which I thought was one carb each.
    I bought Truvia from the grocery store and Costco and take them with me. I have a bottle of liquid stevia from grocery store/Amazon in my Fridge.
    Some places have a Stevia blend. It is normally in a packet that is green or white with green. Stevia is a 0 carb count, but some of the stuff it can blend with has a little impact. So I normally do .5 for Truvia, but some people don't do anything. Depends on how it affects you and how much you use.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    McDonald's does list that they have Sugar Free French Vanilla Syrup, which I believe is Torani branded...or similar... They don't seem to have any other SF syrups...
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    McDonald's has splenda, which is one carb per packet. If you are used to two sugars, one packet would suffice. For one carb. I use liquid sucralose, I got a free travel size bottle when I ordered the larger size, so I use that when I'm out. :)

Oh, liquid sucralose has zero carbs. Tastes like sugar. I don't care for Stevia and sugar alcohols like erithrytol makes my stomach hurt.
  • viren19890
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Splenda is super. I knew about this because I've bought it for others when bringing them coffee but I forgot about it.

You all are awesome!

One was enough and it was 1 carb and 4 calories lol

I should probably get that or Stevia for home as well.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @viren19890 ...or you can just buy and carry your own liquid sugar substitute with you when you go to McDonalds. A few drops is usually all it takes. I like EZ-sweetz (no carbs):

http://www3.netrition.com/cgi/advanced_search.cgi

I usually get the ounce size since I often use it in baking, etc. so even though the 2 ounce bottle is kind of pricey is tends to last for a loooooooooooong time!!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I bought SucraDrops last time, two ounces, plus the free travel size. I've had it for going on three months and I use it in my coffee every day!

You really should invest. Carb free, calorie free. :)
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of Stevia and stevia blends but I just cannot stand the stuff. It's Splenda liquid all the way for me. Use it in my coffee and tea. No adverse reactions yet, and the taste is almost identical to sugar Imo.