Has anyone been keto after weight loss surgery?

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
I'm meeting my surgeon in March to book a date for my gastric sleeve surgery. Has anyone been keto during recovery? Interested in how it went.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap - You had WLS, didn't you?
  • AngiesCookie
    AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes. Im 8 years out from RNY. From my experience, and a recalling of all others I have know that have gone since me (8 friends/family) you are essentially put on a low carb diet after a WLS. protein first, then green veggies. When you talk to a nutritionalist you will notice that. So what they recommend works! You will not need to add extra fat into your diet on purpose, since you will be loosing your own. trying to do Macros or get in a required amount of food will not be feasible., since your stomach will be much smaller and so will your meals. Just follow their recommendations with the high protein, low sugar diet and then when you get down to ideal weight, just keep on doing Keto!
    Good luck!
  • ut26a22
    ut26a22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mu husband had gastric sleeve surgery in Nov. His post op diet was low carb, moderate protein, filled in with healthy fats and very few veg (they are harder to digest post op). At this point he can eat pretty much anything except raw veg but isn't in a hurry to add that back in. Helping cook for him and looking for recipes was how I learned about Keto and after some research I jumped in feet first in January. Now the whole fam is eating Keto and we are all loosing weight and getting healthier.
    My main advice would be to stick with the diet that your surgeon gives you at least until you are cleared for regular foods. They know what works with their procedures and have treated lots of patients so they know what not to do as well. You will loose a lot of weight just from the recommended diet but once you are making your own choices stick with more keto foods and you will feel better.
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 17 years post RNY gastric bypass. I lost 177 lbs on my docs low carb, low fat diet such as the ones mentioned above, and I agree that you should follow your docs advice and diet.

And @Angie'sCookie is right...get the lbs off and go keto. After yo-yoing for several years, keto is doing the job for me, with the added post surgical benefits of a lessened ability to eat large quantities and there's still some degree of malabsorption (at least for me) even after all these years.

Good luck to you with your surgery and recovery!