Clean eating low sugar?

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Just curious how many of you do clean eating without a heap of sugar? I notice a lot of the foods mentioned in some of the posts are very high sugar/carb. Natural sugar is still sugar.

Replies

• 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning heaps, but my understanding is that if you take your sugars (and every other nutrient) as whole foods, you are taking in lots of fibre which dramatically slows down absorption rates, as well as the fibre speeding the foods through your system. i.e. Just drinking the juice of an orange would likely spike your blood sugar levels, whereas that same dose of sugar takes way longer to get into your bloodstream when you eat the orange.
  • Healthygeekster
    Healthygeekster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that natural sugar actually isn't bad regardless of the amount, unless you are diabetic. I count my macros and most of my carbs come from sugar in fruit and I looked recently and i almost never go over my 45G goal.. even though i don't care if I do. Also the person above is right, when in combination with fiber, your body reacts to sugar better.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree about those 53g of refined sugar in a 1/2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola....

• mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Choose more watery fruits and vegetables. I rarely eat mango because of all the sugar but I do eat a lot of watermelon and apples which are a little lower. I hardly go over my sugar goal because I don't eat a lot of processed food. I wouldn't worry so much about natural sugars.
  • MomFLYer
    MomFLYer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Right now my only "added sugar" is a spoonful in my tea cups (BIIIIG cup, lol). I am aiming for most of my sugars to come from fruits and the occasional rice.
  • NameItNClaimIt
    NameItNClaimIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't use any sugar. I eat a lot of fruit and use Sweetleaf stevia. I found some today that is pure powder. A container of .9 oz. = 1k servings. The serving size is 1/80th of a teaspoon. I am going to have fun figuring that out.
  • liz48170
    liz48170 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have gained 35 pounds from deserts and wine (sugar). Now using this database to log in every bite, I can see how much sugar I should have a day and well, I get it all and even sometimes go over just by eating a bit of fruit
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are still calories and carbs from natural sugar. However, coconut palm sugar is one of the better alternatives for diabetics and those who are pre-diabetic. It has a lower glycecim index vs processed white sugar. Honey is high in sugar but it also comes down to reducing the amount of sweetener. I drizzle a very small amount of honey or real 100% maple syrup on my oatmeal. When I bake, I stick with recipes that avoid any white sugar or swap out and reduce amount of coconut palm sugar. My mom has type 2 diabetes so I have researched a lot so I can help her with swaps and ways to decrease intake of carbs/sugar.
  • charmurr
    charmurr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just wait till July of 2018 when the new sugar label goes into effect!! :#
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    yogagirlT wrote: »
    Yes, there are still calories and carbs from natural sugar. However, coconut palm sugar is one of the better alternatives for diabetics and those who are pre-diabetic. It has a lower glycecim index vs processed white sugar. Honey is high in sugar but it also comes down to reducing the amount of sweetener. I drizzle a very small amount of honey or real 100% maple syrup on my oatmeal. When I bake, I stick with recipes that avoid any white sugar or swap out and reduce amount of coconut palm sugar. My mom has type 2 diabetes so I have researched a lot so I can help her with swaps and ways to decrease intake of carbs/sugar.

Warning - product review follows.
    Being a carb-sensitive Type 2 diabetic, I am careful what I eat.
    Sugar is not one of things I want in my diet, ever.
    I took a look at the product information from one of the companies peddling wholesome coconut palm sugar, and here's what I came up with.

My conclusion: This "certified" product from Indonesia is NOT a good alternative for any diabetic or pre-diabetic:
    • It contains no calories from fat or protein; it's calories are 100% carbs. Between 3 and 5g per teaspoon. :s
    • The professed "low glylcemic" effect apparently arises from this professed factoid:
    "Our Coconut Palm Sugar is rich in magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and is a natural source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and C, which aid in the slow absorption of the sugar into the bloodstream."

Huh?
    • Calling this a "low-glycemic food" is llike calling a bacon milkshake calorie-free.
    • It's true that if you're not diabetic, your blood sugar probably won't spike, since it wouldn't spike from a small amount of cane sugar, either.
    • However, if you're diabetic and thinking of using this as a "substitute" for sugar -- it IS sugar: avoid like the plague.
  • ohlean
    ohlean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The low-sugar fruits are berries, cantaloupe, and grapefruit whereas fruits with high in (natural) sugar are bananas, oranges, and mangos. Therefore, I typically just put low-sugar fruits in my smoothies with chia and hemp seeds in water or unsweetened almond milk.