Weight Loss and swimming

Options
So my weight has been hovering for quite a few months, but I am well aware of how my body is changing so that keeps me quite motivated along with going farther and faster...not fast mind you.

So have two questions. One, does swimming help to lose weight? And two, as I lose the weight I still need to, will just that help me to swim faster? I mean aerodynamics and carrying less poundage should equal faster, right?

Replies

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It is not always the case that swimming helps lose weight. However, I know many people in this group have been very successful losing weight swimming.

I do believe that losing weight can help you go faster. Mainly because I have the opposite problem. I put on a few pounds a couple of months ago and I definitely feel more sluggish and indeed my times in practice are off compared to last year. I have a swim meet coming up in a couple of weeks and will see how it impacts my race times.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I love hearing about those people who compete. I still don't have the courage to do that, but I have a feeling one day I will. Would love to hear how you do!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I swim at least 4 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week. My carb intake can screw me up more than anything else.
    I swim for physical and mental fitness.
    Swimming calms me better than any other exercise.
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    I love hearing about those people who compete. I still don't have the courage to do that, but I have a feeling one day I will. Would love to hear how you do!

Well from what I can gather from your posts, I think you could definitely do really well if you competed. Is there not a Masters team in your area?
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    There is a Masters team, they actually train part of the year where I swim but at a different time. For me competing is a touch about vanity, there I said it. Though I know that competing would probably up my workout intensity on a day to day basis.
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    There is a Masters team, they actually train part of the year where I swim but at a different time. For me competing is a touch about vanity, there I said it. Though I know that competing would probably up my workout intensity on a day to day basis.

I get you on the competing part. I actually hate competing. If I could I would not race at all but weirdly here in Italy if you are on a team they oblige you to compete in a minimum number of races. I like Masters for the friendships and the intensity of the workouts.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps is 1/4 of my fitness plan (body weight workout, water fitness class, and running make up the other 3/4). It all helps keep the weight off, although I'm not sure if I really swim hard enough each time to do it exclusively. I do know that each of these compliments the other. I swim better because of my core work trail running and in my fitness class. My body weight workout is soothed by the lighter resistance work in the pool. My trail running is helped by my cardio work in the lap lane and class. It's all connected. I always believed in "cross training" but never, ever did it :blush: . Until now... I slid off the wagon during the 11 snow days we had here in Portland in the past 7 weeks and being at the pool has helped me get back on track.

I'm with fishgutzy too though-the mental relief in the pool is essential to my overall well being.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Cross training is wise for those reasons, @girlswithcurls2 and just the mental break from one activity. I look forward to my walks or getting back into the pool after a bit of a break as well. I walk (4.5 to 7 miles) on my days out of the pool because I know gravity plays an important part in balance and strength.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I credit swimming for losing more than 40 lbs and maintaining that weight loss. I swim 54 laps (a mile and a half_ in 72 minutes 3X per week, for an average calorie burn of about ~500 calories per workout.

Regarding how your speed and/or efficiency of swimming will change over time, a lot of that depends on where you're starting and how much you work on it. If you've got bad stroke mechanics, then swimming more--and perhaps working with a coach to fix your mechannics--could make a big difference in your speed and efficiency. Also, if you sprint, you'll go faster than if you glide (sorta makes sense!)

Me? My stroke mechanics were already good, and I don't like to sprint--so my overall time hasn't changed much. It still takes me about 72 minutes to swim 54 laps!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 100 pounds and swimming was a part of that. The bulk of the loss was at the end of my fork. Counting calories was absolutely the key. Swimming let me eat a little bit more of that restricted calorie count, with the added benefit of making me much more fit than I was two years ago. Definitely got faster but now I'm at a bit of a plateau.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Nope. But my chocolate addiction MIGHT have something to do with that..... :blush:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

I get you on the competing part. I actually hate competing. If I could I would not race at all but weirdly here in Italy if you are on a team they oblige you to compete in a minimum number of races. I like Masters for the friendships and the intensity of the workouts.

Totally with you on the hating competing thing!!! Every time I go to a meet I ask myself why the heck I put myself through it!!
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    And yet you had a great result at this meet! So inspiring.