Liquid smoke - need your help/ideas

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Okay, so this is predominantly an American product. I found it on the shelf of our gourmet supermarket which has a couple of isles of "international" foods. The one I bought was made in the US. Can't remember the brand but it says 0 carbs on the back and says it's good to put on steaks etc. It's also the consistency of water, so not a sauce.

So I need ideas how to cook with it. It smells great, but what's it FOR?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I use it for tri tip....chicken ...it gives it a nice smokey flavor
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    It gives a smoky flavor to predominantly meat dishes, simulating having used wood chips such as on a grill. I use hickory liquid smoke in pot roast, beef and noodles, and beef stew.
    Use sparingly. It's pretty strong.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    A couple of drops in chili is really good, if you are so inclined. It is really strong so the bottle should last quite awhile.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Www.colgin.com has lots of recipes/ideas. Colgin is a brand of liquid smoke here in the USA.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In the past I added it to (homemade) burger patties, sauces or marinades, and chili too. I stopped using it a few years ago because I couldn't be sure it was gluten free (celiac) - I should check it out again. It does add a nice flavour.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    can be used in any dish that you want to add a smokey flavor to, I like to add a couple of drops to my keto bbq sauce
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I make a LC BBQ sauce: Diet Coke, low-sugar catsup, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and two molecules of liquid smoke. The first time I tried liquid smoke, I added so much the whole house smelled like a wood fire. As mentioned, use with caution.
  • AngiesCookie
    AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this is predominantly an American product. I found it on the shelf of our gourmet supermarket which has a couple of isles of "international" foods. The one I bought was made in the US. Can't remember the brand but it says 0 carbs on the back and says it's good to put on steaks etc. It's also the consistency of water, so not a sauce.

So I need ideas how to cook with it. It smells great, but what's it FOR?
    I use liquid smoke in marinades! it helps add a "smoky" flavor to foods.. I have never used straight though on a steak!? Its great when you marinade something you want to bake but would like a grilled taste.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually fry my chicken in water. Adding a dash of liquid smoke gives it a "cooked on the grill" smell and flavor. Nothing like eating chicken that was BBQ on a grill, until now.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I make a LC BBQ sauce: Diet Coke, low-sugar catsup, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and two molecules of liquid smoke. The first time I tried liquid smoke, I added so much the whole house smelled like a wood fire. As mentioned, use with caution.

+1 for resourcefulness!

All right, what other home concoctions are you willing to share?
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use it when making pulled pork, chicken, or beef brisket. I cook the meat all day in the crockpot with a tablespoon of liquid smoke in with the water/stock.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Warning - ingredient discussion :neutral:

"This is the original recipe by Colgin, natural hickory.
    In 1869 the first smokehouse was built in Mexia, Texas.
    Colgin is the all-natural liquid smoke with no additives or preservatives. :joy:
    Colgin is vegan, contains no animal byproducts and is gluten free."

The bloody "all-natural" ingredient list includes the following non-additives:
    • Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor :wink:
    • Caramel Color :anguished:
    • Molasses :s

• kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use it to make pulled pork. I just do a few shakes and cook the meat all day on low. It tastes great.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use it to marinate brisket. Use very sparingly. A little goes a long way. Too much is bitter.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    OK, I got some steaks and marinaded them in sugar free bbq sauce, garlic, soy, hot chili sauce and liquid smoke (a few drops). They were so good. Hubby loved them too.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

+1 for resourcefulness!

All right, what other home concoctions are you willing to share?

I have several recipes that I could share and will in due time, assuming I'm alive. Right now DH and I are renovating our master bath, having taken it down to the wall studs and the concrete floor. We're doing about 50% of the work ourselves, which is madness for two people with a combined age of 140. But thrift won out over good sense.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    We've had a bottle in the fridge for aeons! Just remember to shake the living daylights out of it each time you want to use it or you will end up with all the good wood carbon stuck to the bottom, lol.
    BTW, it's awesome as a tiny drop in vodka bacon martinis. (sub strip of very crispy bacon for olives)(eat olives alongside). You do have to like the taste of woodsmoke though.

Hubby likes it in his pea soup along with Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce and chopped stirfried carrots and onions added to the soup.