How to eat after gastro

Options
Libellue23
Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
Ive just had a nasty bout of gastro and am starting to eat again.
What foods have been tried and worked without flaring up the symptoms again.
I had some eggdrop soup and am considering chicken.
Every other time ive had this I've not been low carb and have had the dry toast/ crackers

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think cooked meats are usually easily digestible.
    Hope you feel better.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Libellue23 - I'm not sure what you mean by gastro...

Heartburn and indigestion? Gastroparesis? Reflux? Gallstones? Gastro-esophogeal issues? General gastric distress? Gastric bypass surgery?

I believe you are in Europe or the UK, correct? The terms I am most familiar with do not have a standard definition for "gastro." If you an give some more clarification, us "Yanks" might be able to give better advice. :)
  • Allie2060
    Allie2060 Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I would try chicken or beef broth for a day or so. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking gastroenteritis maybe? If so, soft bland foods. No acidic foods including coffee, and no gas producing vegs. Soft cooked chicken, eggs, bone broth, etc. Careful with dairy even if you're not lactose intolerant.
  • Libellue23
    Options
    Gastroenteritis.
    Im in Australia
    Stuck to the broth and chicken. My stomach is still very sensitive even 5 days on now
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You could try some mashed cauliflower, it's a good low carb substitute for mashed potato, which was always my go-to pre-VLC when I had a tummy bug and was ready to move on from chicken broth and scrambled eggs.
  • Libellue23
    Options
    Im all better now but yeah just very aware of the foods that cause more gas than others :/
    But yeah just getting ideas for if it ever happens again
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I wonder if taking a digestive enzyme with bile salts would prevent the attack in the first place, as it aids my digestion to minimize gas in the first place. Gas itself is a sign of weakened digestion, because while some foods are more prone to it than others, if our bodies were functioning properly, they would process that away before it became problematic...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Keto egg drop soup is my go to...glad you're feeling better!! :)
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The last time I was sick like that, my tummy was very sensitive after getting back to eating. Peppermint tea worked wonders to fix that. :)