Sf syrup suggestions please, brands, recipes

Options
Looking for almond syrup, had some at Starbucks a few weeks back (amazing). Found some cheap Monin online but I'm afraid to try it....anyone? Also how do you use your syrup besides in coffee? I have a huge bottle of raspberry (not good in coffee) that I make lime rickeys with, but not often, would like to find another way to use.

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I believe bedbathandbeyond has some ....also starbucks sells syrup ....I had raspberry syrup that I used to flavor heavy whipping cream to put over berries
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I believe bedbathandbeyond has some ....also starbucks sells syrup ....I had raspberry syrup that I used to flavor heavy whipping cream to put over berries

http://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-Almond-Syrup/p/TOR-372459&c=Torani@SugarFreeSyrups?gclid=CLS9_ZyV-NECFUeEfgod4OwO0Q
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    YMMV, but I like stevia/erythritol (little green squeeze bottle) spiked with good vanilla extract.

You can balance sweetness/flavor however you like, and it's cheaper than buying the watery, underflavored premixed stuff.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Raspberry syrup! I'd probably make a rendition of cheesecake! Just mix it up with cream cheese. ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I ocassionally added a syrup to full fat plain Greek yogurt. @PaleoInScotland mentioned using extracts a while back. An extract + stevia would be my preferred. Most grocery stores in my area have a huge variety of extracts and most certainly almond (in case you don't want to go the on line route for a syrup).
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Cost Plus World Market is another place to look for Torani syrups. Also, as said by @ms_smartypants, you can by the syrup bottles straight from Starbucks stores if you tried one you really liked.

I visit Caribou Coffee (Minnesota based coffee shop) a few times a week and just discovered their Monin sugar free vanilla syrup has 9 grams of carbs/serving. Quite an eye opener!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I used to use sugar free syrups in Greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, and cottage cheese often adding a small amount of nuts or pumpkins seeds - makes a delicious treat. I find however, that the sugar free syrups cause joint inflammation so I stopped using them. Instead, I use flavored liquid stevia.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made their own sugar-free simple syrup? From looking online, it looks like you can just boil water and then simmer with stevia to let it thicken up a bit.
    Might work to do that and then add some extract.

I'm thinking about for cocktails, where you'd need both the equivalent volume and viscosity for the recipe to end up coming out as near intended.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    DaVinci sugar free syrups work well for us, the Torani one's we had didn't help my husband's BS nos., so we switched to Davinci and they had no effect on him. Both have awesome selections of flavors. I also like real vanilla and almond extracts in a lot of things and don't forget wonderful cinnamon added to coffees.
  • jenngerpeacox
    jenngerpeacox Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the almond extract and stevia/erythritol before spending more on syrup. Didn't even think of that honestly. I guess Monin may not be a good one if it does have a bunch of carbs...I didn't read the online label. Will have to try raspberry with cream cheese or yogurt, yum!
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My bottle of Monin sugar free vanilla syrup lists 3g carbs per 1oz serving.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Forgot to add my Monin sf vanilla is sweetened with erythritol and such alone. Maybe the 9g one is sweetened with something else.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Damned spellcheck...sweetened with erythritol and sucralose.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    Damned spellcheck...sweetened with erythritol and sucralose.

The barista read out some of the ingredients; I think monk fruit was listed along with other ingredients. She was pretty shocked with the carb level.

It seems like the one listed on the Monin website is 3g/serving, so perhaps there are variations in what is available to businesses and the public.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    @eneild...I'm thinking the same. I ordered mine directly from Monin. It's "Le Sirop de Monin". Only sweeteners on label are the ones I mentioned..no monkfruit.

I'll have to be careful when ordering and check the labels carefully, especially if ordering anyplace other than the Monin website.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, also walden farms carries a line of "creamers" or flavors to be used in coffees, etc. that might be worth looking into. I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself so I can't speak to how their creamer flavors taste. I do second the DaVinci and Torani sugar-gree syrup suggestions above. Another idea is to try combinations of Capella flavor drops (which are NOT sweet and can also be using in baking/cooking) with a few drops of liquid sucralose (EZ-Sweetz which IS Sweet):

http://www2.netrition.com/cgi/advanced_search.cgi

http://www2.netrition.com/cgi/advanced_search.cgi
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bed Bath and Beyond has a limited number of flavors of Skinny Syrup in their stores. Go to their online site for a larger variety but be aware their online offerings comes in packages of six. I order the six pack of pumpkin spice, pumpkin caramel, caramel pecan, gingerbread, peppermint mocha and cinnamon vanilla. All good but gingerbread my least favorite.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also how do you use your syrup besides in coffee?
    I add it to my "hot" chia pudding. I swear, with a pat of butter, this pudding taste on par with Cream of Wheat or Cream of Rice.

• jenngerpeacox
    Options
    All great ideas
  • jenngerpeacox
    Options
    Well, my whole comment didn't post, stink