Newbie question re fat

Options
Hi, I am back on the diet. Fell off after a gym injury last year. I find my body has adapted very quickly this time to low carb. But mentally I am struggling with the fat. I have changed to full fat milk but even that "seems" risky. I have been listening to the low fat message for so long it is really difficult to change this.

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a mental switch. Do you want to do a low fat diet? Can't do lcHF no? If you don't want to do a low fat diet,, then there has to be fat. You know, so you have fuel! And milk, whole or not has allot of sugar, doesn't it? Just curious....I never really had an issue with fat, because it's delicious and my hair and nails love it.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Even full fat milk has a lot of sugar in it. I would suggest avoiding milk altogether. Almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk are all better alternatives (unsweetened of course).

The studies which have even remotely implicated fat as bad were ones where the diet was high fat and high carb. Pairing high carb with high fat (i.e. french fries and a burger with a big thick bun) is not healthy.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely drop the whole fat milk. Opt for heavy whipping cream instead if you like and can tolerate dairy. @cstehansen gave you some good suggestions above which I second. Also coconut cream is another excellent option.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10492703/ditch-the-carbs-top-books#latest

There is a link in the 1st post of the thread above that has a few good books for helping you get over the "risks" of fat. "The Big Fat Surprise" is a good overview of how this whole "low fat" thing got started and some of fallacies of the low fat craze.

You didn't indicate in your post if you are eating keto levels of low carb so in regards to whole milk, I'd favor it over 2%, 1%, skim. It has more taste an it can "fit" nicely into a low carb diet. If you are eating keto levels of carbs then heavy whipping cream or at least half and half are the better choices for keeping carbs within your limit.

I'm 63. I spent most of my life hearing the glory of low fat so had a fear of high fat (saturated in particular) when I changed my diet to include it. From what I have read and based on my current research, we were misled. Enjoy your whole milk if it fits into your carb limit.
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts and the links. My milk intake is very low. Take coffee and tea black. So just a few glasses on the weekend of hot milk to help me sleep.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10492703/ditch-the-carbs-top-books#latest

There is a link in the 1st post of the thread above that has a few good books for helping you get over the "risks" of fat. "The Big Fat Surprise" is a good overview of how this whole "low fat" thing got started and some of fallacies of the low fat craze.

You didn't indicate in your post if you are eating keto levels of low carb so in regards to whole milk, I'd favor it over 2%, 1%, skim. It has more taste an it can "fit" nicely into a low carb diet. If you are eating keto levels of carbs then heavy whipping cream or at least half and half are the better choices for keeping carbs within your limit.

I'm 63. I spent most of my life hearing the glory of low fat so had a fear of high fat (saturated in particular) when I changed my diet to include it. From what I have read and based on my current research, we were misled. Enjoy your whole milk if it fits into your carb limit.

Yep, we was had.

I was a dutiful LFer for 25+ years. I didn't eat flavored or sugared options of the ubiquitous FF or LF alternatives, but it didn't matter. The carbs from "healthy" LF foods were plenty enough to win a free case of diabetes. :s

I recently watched "Fed Up" (highly recommended) with my nurse step-daughter, who's getting a second, very practical education from health-minded colleagues at her new hospital job.

When she looks back on her days of wholesome breakfasts of Cheerios, LF milk, & OJ, and her school's sellout to Pepsi and Pizza Hut, she gets pretty *kitten* wound up. :angry:

She's been through quitting smoking and kicking an Adderall habit, and she was not surprised to hear about carb craving's neurological resemblance to other addictions.

"So the government basically fed us a pack of lies to keep the food lobby off its back?" she asks incredulously, as if my generation stood idly by while hers was poisoned.... :cry: