Great plans wrong Country

Options
Some of the postings yesterday gave me the idea of having lettuce wraps for dinner. Basically sandwiches where lettuce substitutes for bread. I first had these in the US.

So did my gym session and was happy with my efforts. Then stop at supermarket on the way back to the hotel. BUT we are in the middle of the Spanish lettuce shortage. So all that was left was the chopped salads.

Sadness :-(

Ray

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I thought of you all when my local super market had a huge stand of cucumbers right in the entry. :(

Choped salad and chicken from the grocery deli isn't a bad "on the road" dinner though!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ray, if it's any comfort to you, America is currently suffering from the lowest supply of bacon in 50 years. WHAAAAA????!!!!!!! Pig farmers apparently can't keep up with demand. We on this Board are no doubt party to blame for this ghastly sequence of events.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ray, if it's any comfort to you, America is currently suffering from the lowest supply of bacon in 50 years. WHAAAAA????!!!!!!! Pig farmers apparently can't keep up with demand. We on this Board are no doubt party to blame for this ghastly sequence of events.

I have no idea what you're talking about (as I gaze fondly at the two boxes of ready to eat bacon in my work fridge).
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    After visiting TWO supermarkets I now have 1 lettuce. 2 cauliflowers and 1 broccoli, but no celery anywhere...
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    And I have walked out of the supermarket proudly holding the last lettuce. It came in a pack of 2, so considering my ebay options :-)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    leaf lettuce is pretty easy to grow indoors, and it can be harvested as soon as the leaves are big enough and multiple times over the life of the plant...just an idea...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    In the absence of lettuce I just wrap salami around string cheese (usulaly about 4oz total and 2-3 string cheeses) and a couple pickles on the side.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    And I love egg salad or tuna salad eaten with celery sticks as the utensils.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Napa cabbage works well for sandwich wraps too. It is very sturdy. A local restaurant does this and I like it.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Some of the postings yesterday gave me the idea of having lettuce wraps for dinner. Basically sandwiches where lettuce substitutes for bread. I first had these in the US.

So did my gym session and was happy with my efforts. Then stop at supermarket on the way back to the hotel. BUT we are in the middle of the Spanish lettuce shortage. So all that was left was the chopped salads.

Sadness :-(

Ray

Yeah all I found was a sad bag of lettuce that was just iceberg and a ton of radicchio, I prefer the nice blend of dark leafy greens, but they've all vanished.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've noticed prices are up in our area too, even the relatively local greenhouse-grown cukes and peppers. I did get to buy 3 cukes and two orange peppers for 1/2 price yesterday as the 'new stock' had just been unloaded and they needed to make way.