Hmmmm think I screwed up!

Options
amb961
amb961 Posts: 51 Member
All advice welcome!

I was maintaining on 1200 a day when I found this group last autumn, and I gradually managed to increase my calories to 1500 a day and maintain my weight! I was very happy!!!

In December I was put on HRT patches for premature menopause, maintained for a few weeks....and then Christmas happened! :-( I ate way too much and put on 9lbs, wasn't too worried as I thought I'd drop off like it has in the past when I have over indulged. But I guess I panicked, dropped my cals back to 1200 a day, and lost four pounds in the first couple of weeks of January. And I haven't lost anything since!

I'm consistent with my exercise, I do kettlercise (kettlebell training) three times a week just as i was before xmas. The last couple of weeks I've added more workouts where possible and increased my bell size from 5kg to 6kg.

I thought if I stuck at it my weight would drop back, but it isn't and I'm wondering if its to do with the HRT. I'm feeling fed up at being back on 1200 which doesn't seem like enough now but I am literally afraid to go back up and gain even more weight.

All advice welcomed! Thanks. X

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's tough to increase the calories when the mentality in your head is screaming cut them cut them!
    But increase them you must! 1500 calories was most likely not enough which will be why you gained so easily over Christmas.
    Now you've cut them back down again, your body has plateaued. It doesn't trust you! It doesn't know what you're going to do next.
    Take the calories back up 100 per week. Sometimes, the increase in calories can actually cause a scale drop. Sometimes.
    But that's not our main focus here! We want to get you away from maintaining on 1200!
    Have you checked our calculator to see what you should be aiming for?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Also, if you have increased your workouts you've created an even bigger defecit, leading to your body to want to plateau even more! You must increase your calories if you increase your activity.
    Don't worry! Your situation can be changed! But you must remain patient when increasing your calories. The jumping up and down is only lengthening the process.
    This blog post is a great read on plateaus
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/workout-or-diet-plateau/
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    And you didn't screw up ;) we were all where you are!
    We live and learn <3
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • amb961
    Options
    Thnak you for the advice! I'm going to have to get my head in gear, I know I did the wrong thing dropping back to 1200 post Christmas. It was a knee jerk reaction to being very bad! I'm astonished by how my body grabbed the weight thou....just hoping that I can get back to where I was. Thank you. X
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this was enough to remind you the next time you feel the urge to drop back down to 1200, that the payoff does nothing for you, only damage your metabolism further. We have all been there. Ichel and I many times:) Its definitely not a failure, just a minor setback that can be corrected. Keep adding the cals back in slowly and in no time you will hit tdee and really begin the healing process:)
    Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • amb961
    Options
    Thank you for the support. I'm finding it very hard to keep perspective on this.....to see his I can get back where I was. I know I'm only carrying five extra pounds and to some people that's not much but I really feel it. And to think I was lighter and eating more...! I've been so hungry lately.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hungry is a good feeling. it means your metabolism is demanding more food, so its good to listen to the cues and eat when you are feeling those pangs. :)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • amb961
    Options
    I am really really struggling with hunger the last couple of days. I've eaten 2000 calories today!! Honestly I am just in despair at what is going on now, I did up my cals on Wednesday and have been absolutely ravenous ever since. Trying to focus on protein but cannot stop thinking about cake.
  • amb961
    Options
    Ooops make that 3000! :-(
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just have cake! When you allow yourself to eat what you crave, you take the binge power out of the food. That's the beauty of eating lots of calories - you can work the yummy treats into your day, so the craving doesn't grow into a huge monster.

And just move on from a big calorie day. It won't matter in the long run. If you beat yourself up about it, or try to balance out the calories the next day, you'll ignite the binge monster again. It's just food. It isn't bad or good. Calories aren't good or bad either. They are just measurements of energy. Try to relax and enjoy the food and the greater quantities. Choose food you enjoy - don't eat anything you don't like (but also, see if there's a way you can improve something if you don't like it, but wish you did... I hate sweet potato, but decided to try mashing it with butter and stirring some cooked diced bacon into it. Well, bacon makes everything palateable - even sweet potato! It's now something I don't fear. I should probably try a similar approach to Brussel sprouts!).
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    zanyzana wrote: »
    It's now something I don't fear. I should probably try a similar approach to Brussel sprouts!).

Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon then drizzled with balsamic reduction are *amazing*. We use Ina Garten's recipe.
  • amb961
    Options
    Well one thing in my favour is that I LOVE Brussel Sprouts, I literally cannot eat enough of them!
  • amb961
    Options
    Thank you for the advice all. I've got some thinking to do......