Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday - 02/08/2017

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Perception

As you proceed with your lifestyle change - whether you are just starting out or have been at it for many years - how has the manner with which people treat you, and their apparent perception of you, changed? Positive? Negative? Has this affected your own perception of yourself?

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest perception shift is that I am now seen as athletic, whereas no one would have ever mistaken me for that before. I feel like I'm treated similarly. I was teased about my weight a few times when I was younger but I think that was just age related cattiness more than anything and would have disappeared into later adulthood. I never had poor self esteem as a larger person, but I did not see myself as attractive. Nowadays I think I appreciate my body more and compliment myself more than I used to.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Positive ( or neutral) depending if they knew me "before". I had good esteem and liked activity before losing except that I quit yoga and didn 't want to be in swim suit etc when I got so big. Weight came on in college and grad school.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    Options
    I am treated the same.

for me I use to be negative but that has changed when I lost weight.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    No real changes, since the first 60# :)
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Since most of my coworkers only see me eating things I've made and brought from home, they think I only ever eat healthy. They have not seen me when confronted with chocolate GF brownies.

It is true that compared to my 300+ pound days, that I really do eat much healthier.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Perceptions change. I wasn't fat very long; really just five or six years. Those I met during that time were surprised at the shift from round to thin. Some asked the usual tactless questions about my health. For those who have known me for most of my life, my current status is viewed as a return to normal.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    how has the manner with which people treat you, and their apparent perception of you, changed?

I've been at WL for 22 yrs. I got from 285 to around 215-220 and stayed there for years. That was a big change. I worked out regularly, trained with weights to the point where I got a few comments about that. I wore nice clothes that fit right.

Yeah, I got a lot more respect like that than I did as a fat slob. But truth was I was still plenty fat at 220.

People comment that I look to be in good shape now and I like it.

Has this affected your own perception of yourself?

This whole WL campaign, both parts 285 to 220 and 220 to 180 has changed a lot of how I see myself. As a giant ironic development, to close the deal to 180 I found I had to quit caring much what other people thought or wanted of me.

Going around telling myself I should lose weight and not getting it done was very damaging. The world didn't suddenly become wonderful when I made goal but that nagging voice in my head shut up.

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Since I am back to where I started, I assume so is people's perception of me. I definitely recall when people perceived me as athletic. Getting people's perception back to that is one of my superficial goals.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice that I was treated any differently after losing weigh than I was before I lost weight.

My perception of myself? I'm sure I'm more aware of my weight gain that most of those around me. I think I do sometimes suffer from body dysmorphia.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    Not a whole lot of comments since my first 89-90 lbs. This week however I've had two comments that they thought I had lost more weight and another one said today they thought my stomach looks smaller. I don't think people have changed their perception of me as far as I can tell however I have changed my perception to a much more positive one of myself.

Sometimes however I can say that I do get a negative perception of myself but I quickly try to move away from any thought that lends to the negative thought.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My perception is that the dynamic has worked mostly in reverse. I still remember feeling better about myself within days of having joined WW. I think the note-worthy game-changer for me was that I moved from 'thinking about losing weight' to actually starting a program to do it. The change in my self-perception was noticeable almost immediately. Without losing a pound (or maybe just a couple-few), I really felt more confident just having made that transition.

The fact that I felt better about myself made me carry myself differently and project a more confident person that interacted with others. I found I was more engaged with my peers, friends, etc. By that, I mean I noticed I was not constantly thinking and evaluating my fat self while engaged with others. I could be more present in conversations and less obsessed on how I looked or others perceived me.

One of my biggest eye-openers came after I'd love 30-40 pounds. I was to give the opening presentation at a day-long workshop in a venue I'd not been in before. I got there about an hour ahead of time to size up the room. There was and would be no podium! In that moment I realized that doing the presentation as I had in many other places for several years prior, I had used the podium to hide behind.

My moment of panic on this particular day was short-lived. I realized I no longer needed to hide. I was comfortable, even eager to be able to move about the room as I gave the presentation without focusing on my fat self and really much more engaged with audience and the topic.

It's been a symbiotic dynamic but I think others' perception of me has changed mostly because my perception of myself has improved with weight loss, not vice-versa.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    In general I think there was a minor change in perception by others that I noticed. The perception of how others see me has not changed how I see myself. If anything the opposite is true for me, as I lost weight and got more active my inner athlete emerged more and more and I am perceived as a healthy and active person more often. I was always athletic but did not always look the part...so it was not apparent to others.

I also think my confidence went up, not so much because I was thinner, but because I was able to lose weight successfully which made me feel I could do anything if I tried, which ignited my risk taking when it comes to social or physical activities. I like to live outside my comfort zone periodically to stay energized.