Trial and Error is not always fun...

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
So I am constantly learning new things about my body, especially my body on keto. I thought I would give a "refeed" a try and see how my body reacts. Well.... it is not good. I did a refeed meal (plus snack) on Tuesday night this week and I almost instantly felt like crap (which I new I would) but by the next day and still today, I am up 3.5lbs, bloated and gassy, uncomfortable, my face looks swollen and I feel like a bag of crap. As of last night im still out of ketosis, will check again tonight. I am flushing myself with water today and trying to get back to normal.
Has anyone felt this way after a refeed? I had a grilled chicken ranch wrap (garden vegetable tortilla wrap), sweet potato fries, a bowl of cheerios with a small banana and half a cup of 2% milk and half a kitkat bar. I didn't think I went too crazy (I was contemplating a whole pizza and bag of chips haha)
I am glad that I do not seem to have any lingering cravings... it was quiet easy to jump back on the keto train.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I originally went keto due to T2 diagnosis. After finding out it was not caused by IR, but rather stress and some micronutrient deficiencies, I decided to have one day of validating my insulin response was ok by going to the movies where I ate an entire large popcorn by myself. Then on the way out, got the free refill which I ate by myself.

The good news was 2 hours later, my BG readings were pretty well in line with what they would have been with a keto meal.

The bad news, bloated and gassy for a couple of days. On that note, when I went keto, my wife commented about how I never farted anymore. Despite continuing to eat plenty of roughage like spinach, just cutting the processed carbage fixed my bloating and gas problems. This is one reason I continue this WOE. That, and I really like meat and only ever ate much of the high carb sides because I needed some filler.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've found that too - with carbs my gas was sometimes almost out of control and I suffered from crippling acid reflux. I've been in keto for nearly 6 weeks now and have no bloating, gas or reflux... In general my gastro-intestinal health seems to be much better when I'm not eating sugar!
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agreed ^ I, too, have much less gas/heart burn issues. I do allow a carb-y meal usually once a week. I haven't noticed too much discomfort from it and getting back on track has been easy. Super Bowl Sunday was definitely different ... I ate far more than I'd usually allow even on a carb-up, and I was gassy the rest of the night. Luckily, that discomfort didn't last long.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a bit more flexibility on the weekend when the whole family is together, but I still keep my carb macros within reason. I do not have a cheat day, but I recognize that eating this way ideally forever has to mean some flexibility - in my world (I do not have underlying health issues or extreme willpower).

Personally... I would have thoroughly and guiltlessly enjoyed one of those things on your list, not all of them on a specific day. Especially if your regular carb numbers are much lower!!
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a bit more flexibility on the weekend when the whole family is together, but I still keep my carb macros within reason. I do not have a cheat day, but I recognize that eating this way ideally forever has to mean some flexibility - in my world (I do not have underlying health issues or extreme willpower).

Personally... I would have thoroughly and guiltlessly enjoyed one of those things on your list, not all of them on a specific day. Especially if your regular carb numbers are much lower!!

It was meant to be a refeed/carb day. I was trying to go way over my carbs. I feel only having 1 of those things would have been a "cheat" and not what I intended it to be. But unless I have a whoosh coming very soon, I won't be doing any of it again!
    So far today, the increase in water seems to be helping a little.