Carb Count of Greek Yogurt

Options
Hi,
Our household was under attack from the worst stomach bug I have ever seen, and it got me too. How could it not since I cleaned up all the puke and crap from the kids?
Having only been LC for about 5 days, I just couldn't do it while sick like that... Crackers was the only thing I ate for a few days.
Now that I am done with the bug, I'm getting back to Keto, but I feel like I should have some yogurt to help get my system back to rights. I see articles about full fat greek yogurt being something we can have on LC, but I can't find an article that says how many carbs it 'actually' is.
Anyone know?
Thanks.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Usually about 9g per 8 oz., assuming that nothing else is added to it.

Things can be weird with it though. It's almost all lactose, so if your body lacks the enzymes to break it down (most people do), it doesn't get processed as a sugar, and is instead broken down by the bacteria in the gut, releasing SCFAs and gasses. This is what causes the bloating and other symptoms of lactose intolerance.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    for plain, "regular fat" greek yogurt it is usually 8 or 9g per 8oz serving.

ETA Gallowmere got there before I did. lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Google your favorite brand and search nutrition.

My favorite and most readily available in my area is Full Fat Plain Fage. In a 200gr serving: fat=10, carbs=8, fiber=0, sugar=8, protein=18. I make it "fit" my day. I like it and like the protein content as an alternative to meat (which I also eat).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Google your favorite brand and search nutrition.

My favorite and most readily available in my area is Full Fat Plain Fage. In a 200gr serving: fat=10, carbs=8, fiber=0, sugar=8, protein=18. I make it "fit" my day. I like it and like the protein content as an alternative to meat (which I also eat).

2% is the highest Fage I've been able to lay hands on. Walmart's store brand is the only full-fat GY they carry here, though they have Stoneybrook regular yogurt in full fat. Honestly, they are tit for tat to me, in the taste and texture department, so I'll keep saving a couple of dollars per tub.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you want to go lower carb, check out this site for other food options:

https://draxe.com/probiotic-foods/

I wish I could find the article, but there was a doctor saying cheese is actually better for gut health than yogurt because so much of what is in yogurt doesn't make it to your colon.

The push for yogurt being the best probiotic food is paid for by the dairy industry, so you have to understand it is not necessarily unbiased. They are the same ones pushing us all to drink multiple cups of milk every day - lactose and all.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yogurt has a rather small selection of probiotics and most commercial brands don't label what strains of bacteria they are using so it's hard to know if it is going to have a useful probiotic effect. A good multi-strain probiotic supplement would likely be more effective and lower in carbs. If you're set on a whole food option, real unsweetened kefir or kombucha will have a larger selection of bacteria than most commercial yogurts.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not set on it, just hoping to get my digestive system healed up. The doctor said probiotics would help.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have been eating more sauerkraut recently and that seems to be helping a lot with all of the bugs going around. I found a brand called Othentic which is terrific, tastes really fresh and tangy. It has 5 grams of carbs but 4 grams of fiber for just 1g net. And it's a good source of sodium and potassium.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I wish I could find the article, but there was a doctor saying cheese is actually better for gut health than yogurt because so much of what is in yogurt doesn't make it to your colon.

I believe this.....Before keto I used to have a lot of gastric issues and cheese was the one thing I would snack on that seemed to help me more than anything else. I always wondered why...

I have never liked yogurt....I have tried and tried but just can't....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I think Kefir may have more lactose converted to lactate and greater durability during the journey to the center of your guts.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt almost daily made with whole milk. The brand is Cabot and it is plain/unflavored. It is the highest fat:carb ratio I have seen. For 1 cup it is 22g fat, 12g carb, and 16g protein. I usually eat either 1/4 or 1/2 cup and I mix in berries, and vanilla liquid Stevia (otherwise tart without it). Also as of this weekend I started mixing in 1T MCT oil and about 2T coconut milk from a can. It's probably my highest carb meal for the day at 11g net carbs, half of that is from the fruit and the other half is from the yogurt. The concoction has 31g fat and 9g protein. I'm going to reduce the amount of fruit I put in it to lower the carb count though.

However, I've also heard that yogurt actually has less carbs by the time you consume it because the bacteria eats the lactose or something like that. Anyways, I've never had an issue with it affecting my weightloss or ketosis or anything.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »

However, I've also heard that yogurt actually has less carbs by the time you consume it because the bacteria eats the lactose or something like that. Anyways, I've never had an issue with it affecting my weightloss or ketosis or anything.

Yep. I saw some web posts on that. That's actually why I was wondering what the real count would be.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You lose a few million bacteria every time you poop and you might add a few 100k by eating yogurt. "It's a bunch of hooey." -- Adorable, elderly MD that lives near me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hmm. If any live cells from yogurt survive the death march to your intestines, it seems unlikely that only 100k survive, considering the battalions lined up at the start.
    The National Yogurt Association (NYA) has established a Live & Active Cultures seal program for all yogurt manufacturers whose refrigerated products contain at least 100 million cultures per gram at the time of manufacture
    http://aboutyogurt.com/index.asp?bid=28

I didn't find reliable analogous figures for poop. (Unfortunately, the National Poop Association will certify just about anything...)

@baconslave