Living The Lifestyle Thursday 2/9/17

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Food Labels --
Do you read labels? Do you find yourself putting things back on the shelf? at the market?
To avoid reading food labels do you just buy the same foods over and over so you can get out and get to where your going?. Do you even buy foods with labels.

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    I am a definite food label reader. I can spend entirely to much time reading the labels if I'm not careful. In fact I just have to get items I have already purchased so I can get in and get out.

There is quite an education in reading the labels and finding out what's in the food I eat. Yes I put things back on the shelf in hurry if fat or sugar content is higher than I really want it to be. Then I also look for crazy stuff they put in foods like some of the preservatives. I once heard that if you can't pronounce the word you shouldn't eat it.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read food labels mostly to determine if there are ingredients that I'm intolerant of. Yes, once I find products that work for me, I keep buying them.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm a sporadic label reader. There was a time when I was rigorous about it, but lately I rely on DW to make our shopping choices.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I use WW App scanner to "read" labels to see how many SPs are in a serving. Especially if it's a snack type item.

I do read some labels to see sodium and or sugar content on items. I have put down many items with a "Nope, not worth it!"

Nothing worse than looking up SPs AFTER you just ate the item and getting sticker shock! The last time that happened was after eating a Panera Bread pecan roll!!

Just for fun, GUESS how many SPs?
    No cheating!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I read labels all the time and put stuff back. It always surprises me that people don't check/care what they put into their body.

@Jimb376mfp I don't count SPs but I'm going to guess something ridiculously high like 60 lol

• Jimb376mfp
    Options

@Jimb376mfp I don't count SPs but I'm going to guess something ridiculously high like 60 lol

@Rachel0778
    It's high SP, but not THAT high.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    Options
    I read them all the time, unless it is something I always buy. But even then you have to check for changes every once in a while. I look at the SP type data (Cals, Sat Fat, Sugar & Protein) but do not calculate the SPs. I also look at sodium, carbs, total fat & fiber. I look at the ingredients at times, usually to see where the sugar comes from. I have been known to put things back.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I read labels and I do put some products back because they don't seem worth the calories etc. I buy plenty without a label, but I do like to find new things to eat. Typically, I am looking for something that is tasty but not to crazy on calories/points. I do eat a lot of the same foods every week...my core diet, with some dabbling into new items.

If I want something decadent that I don't eat often, then the label (if there is one) is just so I know what I ate so I can track it, but not a part of the equation in terms of deciding to eat it.
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    [quote="Jimb376mfpJust for fun, GUESS how many SPs?
    No cheating!"]

I'll guess 1100 calories or 28 SP
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Do you read labels? I read the label on any can, jar or package that I pick up.

Do you find yourself putting things back on the shelf? I put lots of things back on the shelf for many reasons, too many calories, or certain micro nutrients being too high, or ingredients that I believe shouldn't be in them....

To avoid reading labels do you buy the same things over and over? I do buy many things over and over, but not because I'm in a hurry. I just really like those items....
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Regular label reader here. Lots of stuff goes back on the shelf. And I'm careful to check the serving size to make sure I'm going to be satisfied with the portion.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    @Rachel0778 Ding ding ding we have a winner!

One of @TimDumez guesses is Correct!

So, if you want to spend all or most of your daily SPs on a delicious Pecan Roll from Panera Bread go for it!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fortunately (or maybe it's unfortunately) I don't have to read labels and usually don't. I'm lucky my partner does our shopping and food prep and since we share weight loss objectives, she's constantly reading labels. That said, we usually buy pretty wholesome, identifiable food and much of it is fairly routine now.

As for me, I'd rather do photography than read food labels so I'm glad for this arrangement. B)
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I read food labels because of food allergies. I usually just jump to the bottom where it says "allergen information." I might also glance at sugar and protein grams, but I tend to buy the same foods over and over so I don't read labels frequently.

I once read that Nutella and canned cake frosting were remarkably similar in nutrition content. I don't eat either one, but that seemed crazy, so I compared labels one day at the store. It's totally true.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,011 Member
    Options
    I am an itermittent label reader, with my focus usually on the calories, calories from fat and SP's. I will compare different products based on those criteria and frequently put an item back on that basis. I frequently buy the same item over and over. The one place I do not check the label (other than price) is the frozen seafood aisle in trader Joe's, just go for lots of frozen tuna, cod, tilapia, scallops etc. based on whats on sale this week.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I seldom buy anything w a label except condiments. I do read labels. I don't recheck labels on those often.
    Ha ha Nutella. Try not to have it in the house.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    @Rachel0778 Ding ding ding we have a winner!

One of @TimDumez guesses is Correct!

So, if you want to spend all or most of your daily SPs on a delicious Pecan Roll from Panera Bread go for it!

28 still makes me shudder, yikes!
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    Options
    I just check labels for sat fat and sugar if they are high I put it back