Deep thought for the day...

Options
steve0mania
steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
I've been thinking about how hard it is, generally speaking, to lose weight and to keep it off. I've come to a personal revelation:

Losing weight and keeping weight off requires a change in identity.

We talk about lifestyle change, but I think the issue is much much deeper than that. One has to be willing to become a different person. If you think about it, you have to shed/change many deeply-ingrained habits to successfully lose weight and keep it off. You can't eat the same way you did, you can't eat a whole pizza by yourself, you can't knock-back a six-pack of beer, you can't go out regularly for midnight trips through the McDonald's, you can't have a pint of ice-cream for dessert, etc., etc., etc. The food-related changes you make significantly affect your relationships with many people, since many of us use food and going-out as a means to get together with our friends. Some friends are going to feel that you're abandoning them, since you won't go out to the bar every night with them, since you won't split a large pizza with them, or since you won't kill a plate of Buffalo wings with then in front of the TV watching the game.

(I'm being extreme in my examples, and recognize that moderation is still possible, but bear with me on this)

Your interests are likely to change. Many of us become increasingly interested in exercise and other aspects of healthy living. Many of us become less interested in "couch-potato" activities that we used to do with our friends, relatives, and colleagues.

Your physical shape will change. You will literally look like a different person. You will move away from your initial physical comfort zone, and move into a different zone. People will look at you differently, and will think about you differently. Many of your old friends will view you as a fat person who became thin. You may find it easier to begin hanging out with new people who only know you as a thin person, and who share more of your newer interests, like fitness, healthy food, etc.

All of this (and other things I'm sure I haven't mentioned) are cause and consequence of an identity change.

Identity change is really uncomfortable at the beginning. It's so much easier to simply stay the same. I think you have to be really committed to the process to make it through the other side, and to see it "stick." After all, why go through so much upending of your life if you're not really committed?

That's what makes "fad-diets" and quick weight-loss approaches challenging. Maybe they're not really commitments. Maybe we think that we'll just stick with a fad-diet for a few months, lose the weight we want, but we'll be able to be the same person at the end of it? As we know, though, going back to our old habits are not really compatible with keeping the weight off (or losing weight over the long-term).

Thoughts?

Replies

• leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, agree!

Can't say much more because you nailed it. I particularly like the last thought on the fad diets.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree. I think part of the reason my 5 year relationship ended after grad school was that I became a different person due to weight loss. We used to spend most of our time watching TV on the couch or if we did go out it was to eat.

All of a sudden I wanted to do active things and adventure dates and I had very little interest in staying home or going out to eat all the time. It really just exacerbated that we no longer had much in common anymore.

Luckily I was able to find someone who wanted to go on adventures with me. My current SO lost over 100lbs and has kept it off for almost 15 years now so he understands where I'm coming from. I love that we can be active together and cook healthy meals for special occasions (although we definitely do go out to eat sometimes too!).
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I ran into an old boss of mine a few months back. He didn't recognize me at first. I thought it was because we had not seen each other in about 8 years. It didn't occur to me for several minutes that I look different now. My face is thinner, not to mention the rest of my body. I think I have a different identity now than I did back then.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great analysis, thanks. Explains why I have lost and regained weight multiple times, especially after having success on fad diets, (i.e., Atkins, South Beach, etc.). It does take an identity change or transformation as others put it.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Excellent analysis.

I have very little interest in participating in social events that just involve sitting around and eating. I'm much more interested in spending time with friends out on the trails, on our bikes, or doing organized running events together.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Very well said Steve. I view this as a parallel in thinking with other areas of life and business. There have been times through life that I had to stop associating with people because I changed my thinking and didn't want to associate with because for me I had to move on be it in business or personal life. Plainly we just didn't think alike. It's not to say in all situations that they were wrong in their thinking they just didn't align with what I wanted for me and where I was headed. We may have become a different person and thus our thinking no longer corresponds to other's way of thinking.

So I totally agree that while we change our physical appearance we also go through a change in our thought patterns and yes we really can't or really don't want to do the things we did before or associate with previous people or lifestyles because ours has changed. There are so many examples of these types of changes and parallels that they are literally to numerous to mention.

For myself I'm still transforming but while I'm going through this transformation I'm at the age that a lot of lifestyle habits are ingrained in my daily life which may be part of my situation in getting off this next 125 lbs. The main thing for me is to do my best to be happy at where I am in the process but yet unhappy enough with my unhealthy weight to continue to make the changes I need to make.

Thanks for the Deep Thought Post.!

Here's to the new me.!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Reminded of a GOAD post that asked this question- About how long do I have to stick with this before I can get back to eating like a normal person?

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Also, I eat out a lot. But I've become the picky PITA at the table. For a while I quit having lunch with coworkers. When I got back in the mix at lunch I would deliberately ask the server questions about the menu until people started shifting in their seats, rolling their eyes and even sighing. This became my idea of a good time.

Yeah, that was sorta a change.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Got points. I had no preconceived notion that my WW "journey" was to "reach a goal" or any such nonsense. From day one I think my mindset was not goal oriented in terms of an unknown future weight or that there would be an end point. I DID figure out how to add back in some of those things like small amounts of craft brew in moderation after a short 2- 3 weeks of getting my feet wet. I do like the notion that you don't give up while losing weight anything that you aren't willing to give up long term. Yes I did need to figure out how to fit in some items with more moderation than I would like.

What you call a change in identity I jokingly called my "brain transplant". It was definitely true for me that I had to settle in to the PROCESS and not think of it as short term sacrifice and that required a different mindset.

I was always active so no change there. I have changed my portions and do eschew eating some items except on rare occasion.

I think that doing maintenance year after year after year after year is in some sense "tiring". I kinda shrug that off, get a massage, eat a special meal or whatever but am doing the habit thing pretty well for over 8 years now.

Do I wish that I was "cured"?? Yeah who wouldn't.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I agree it requires a change in identity, but I think the bigger change may be more internal than external.

I think the identity change is more about becoming actively mentally engaged and deliberate in defining how we want to live, eat, feel etc., versus passively "letting life happen" in terms of our physical state. I think a lot of us got fat because we just weren't paying attention and had no idea we weren't.

What flows from that mental shift is what you've described in terms of changing activities, friends, etc.

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    Great post.
    I agree it requires a change in identity, but I think the bigger change may be more internal than external.

I guess I was thinking that you have to actively realize/decide that you will change your identity. If you don't make that decision, that creates a challenge. That's an internal decision or realization, but it doesn't necessarily have to come before the external changes.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of deep heavy stuff here and on todays LTL thread!

Steve, your post applies to my WL journey 100%. So many things you wrote made me think of specific things I have experienced over the past four years.

It's threads like this that made the former GoaD so good. Thnx
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    That's an internal decision or realization, but it doesn't necessarily have to come before the external changes.

In my case any identity changes did come after the external changes. Example - my running. Being a runner is now a significant part of who I am, but it would never have happened if I had not lost the weight. The not-so-obvious internal view of myself, which I guess is as true an identity as I have, also changed during or after the weight loss.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to process these ideas for awhile but I do remember wondering before I actually joined WW (but knew I was going to) what creaking doors might open in the process. I think even then I knew I was using food as a crutch in emotional / stressful times. I also suspected the weight loss journey would give me more insight into those times and I'd probably end up facing them head-on instead of just stuffing my face. Getting clarity on who I really was and what was going on for me when I had the urge to just keep eating and drinking has certainly been part of discovering my own identity.

Your analysis @steve0mania certainly resonates with me, though I have not ventured down all those roads (yet). For the most part, I am very comfortable with who has surfaced from beneath the fat. However, I think there is a certain irony that my new awareness brings. I used food and drink as social capital in the old days. I could mask my troubles from myself and others, even if it cost me a few pounds every few days or weeks. Now I find I'm much more in-tune with what's driving my behavior. I feel the stressful emotions more fully than I used to. I still engage in some of the stuffing behavior but not nearly to the extent that I used to.

For now, I really don't care too much how or if my transformation affects others because I'm still getting used to and discovering how it's affecting me. I think your opening explanation is some meaty stuff, Steve and I also appreciate the additional insight from everyone who posted to the thread.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Great post. I really agree with the identity change, though for me I looked at it as a character change. Back when I had reached my goal weight and maintain for about a year, remember posting something about realizing that I had changed the character of the man I was.

For me, the character change occurred slowly as I kept persisting when my earlier identity/characterwas to give up quickly and easily. Like weight-loss, character change required multiple, multiple, multiple little decisions to "make the better choice". Eventually, all of those little choices made significant differences.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.