What is on your plate?

catz789
catz789 Posts: 35 Member
Hi everyone!
This is Lisa Rector here with a nutrition question/tip for you: What is on your plate?
You should aim for:
one half of your plate: Vegetables
one quarter of your plate: Meat or alternate protein source
one quarter of your plate: whole grains

Replies

• mnmilnes
    mnmilnes Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Lisa! I'll shoot for that today! What about fruit? Should there be any room for fruit on our plate?
  • catz789
    1 or 2 fruits a day
  • kindelcollier
    kindelcollier Posts: 8 Member
    I have been making a smoothie for breakfast each morning with coconut milk, vanilla yogurt, 1/2 avocado, frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries in my blender very yummy.
  • adamjmilnes
    adamjmilnes Posts: 9 Member
    catz789 wrote: »
    1 or 2 fruits a day

What are some examples of 1 or 2 fruits? Banana and pear? Cup of blueberries and cup of strawberries?
  • catz789
    Yes! The only slight change to your amounts is that the program I was in said 3/4 cup for a serving of berries.
  • sglasscock2
    sglasscock2 Posts: 5 Member
    Kindle, I use almost the same ingredients for mine, only I add a cup of spinach to it and use banana instead of blueberries. I can't taste the spinach but I know I am getting veggies
  • catz789
    For my smoothie, I make frozen kale (or spinach) cubes using water and kale in the Ninja blender, pouring in ice cube trays, freezing, then popping out to store in freezer bags.
    So, this is my smoothie: 7 frozen kale/spinach cubes, 1 celery, 1 carrot, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 frozen banana, 2 big pieces of frozen pineapple, chia seeds, 1/2 scoop Alive pea protein powder, and enough water to keep it churning. I taste and if not sweet enough, I add another half of a banana or some berries.
    I drink 1 full glass that day, store another full one in fridge for next day, and a half glass "baby" smoothie for Tim that he takes sips on for about 3 days! It doesn't taste as cold the second day, but it sure saves time!