Macronutrient goals

wendyn1998
wendyn1998 Posts: 41 Member
What do you guys set your macro's at? Seems like I need to purchase the upgrade to personalize them. But for those of us that aren't upgrade worthy :smiley: what do you set yours at?

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    I have the upgraded (paid) version. I can't really say there is any difference in tracking. I went back and looked at my macronutrient counts. I think the only two I edited was cholesterol and sodium. I needed to watch my cholesterol intake because I'm still battling borderline high cholesterol and I want to get it in the normal range. Tracking has helped it is steadily going down and I'm just 14 points away from being below 200 on my total cholesterol. I reduced the sodium because it's just smart to limit salt in the diet. I don't know if it's worth the yearly fee to edit those fields unless it impacts your health.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    I tend not to worry about the percentages too much. getting enough protein should be first priority especially if you're not eating many calories. I try to stay away from sugar and processed carbs as much as possible. If you do that, you'll inevitably end up eating a balanced diet.
  • AEIGoals
    AEIGoals Posts: 1 Member
    My dietician set mine at 40% for carbs, 30% for fat, and 30% protein. Hope that helps.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Mine are set at 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat. I did make sure based on that that my protein grams were above 60 and I try to keep my carbs at 80g.
  • DizGal
    DizGal Posts: 7 Member
    I'm low carbing for the first 6-12 months so my goals adjust as I slowly increase my calorie intake. I always make sure I am 40g of carbs or under (when I go over that I stall) and over 75g protein. That lets me know how much fat I can have to supplement if necessary. I only eat healthy fats so I don't worry about those much.
  • tarotaces75
    tarotaces75 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm only 1 month post VSG, but I keep my protein at or above 90 grams, and carbs below 30 grams (and MOSTLY succeed :) ) My calories currently bounce between 600-900 a day, and I plan to increase them in 100 calorie increments as I increase my activity level. (2 weeks till I'm cleared for exercises other than walking at a moderate pace)

I also, like DizGal, plan to 'low carb' until I get closer to goal and then find my own personal magic number; I know MY body at least likes to hold onto every single gram of carbohydrate and turn it into fat so I think for me personally limiting carbs is the smart choice.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    I don't worry about my macros. I go for at least 80 grams of protein daily, avoid carbs as much as possible and have found that with my limited food intake I am naturally limiting the carbohydrates I consume by focusing on the protein.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    I think mine are 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. I tweaked the percentages for protein to get close to what my surgeon suggested, and then adjust the fat % based on what works best for me. I tend to not worry about the carb % too much as I just try to keep it low. I have the free version of MFP because there's no way I would ever pay $50 a year for an app that is so buggy/glitchy.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    I think mine are 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. I tweaked the percentages for protein to get close to what my surgeon suggested, and then adjust the fat % based on what works best for me. I tend to not worry about the carb % too much as I just try to keep it low. I have the free version of MFP because there's no way I would ever pay $50 a year for an app that is so buggy/glitchy.

I've had various issues. The app automatically sets my calorie goal to 1500. It used to be set at 1480. Now, it bounces back and forth between the two. Some days, it says one, some days the other. No rhyme or reason to it. I've also had issues where the amount of weight I have lost changes. One day, I had lost 60lbs (I believe at that point), but the sticker they gave me to post didn't show the right amount. The very next day, I got a sticker that showed the correct amount. I've also had issues with selecting a food to add and it doesn't add it. I've tried over and over repeatedly but it doesn't work. I have to shut down the app or log off (if on a PC), then log back in to get it to work.

I don't recall any issues prior to MFP becoming a Under Armor company, certainly not as many if there were any. The little "ads" don't make me enthusiastic about a purchase either. "Become a Pro Member to see your foods highest in calories!" Duh...I can just look at my daily log or the nutrition label on the food to figure that out! :s

Does anyone who has the "Pro" membership have any insight they could add? Benefits?