Healthy Snacks on the go...

Options
lobs12
lobs12 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2016 in Social Groups
what does every one eat as morning or afternoon tea that doesn't have them rummaging the biscuit tin?

my go to it i make this. I make it in advance and cut up and keep in the fridge - takes like a snickers bar. I need more ideas!

Chocolate Coconut Protein Bars

Ingredients - makes 8 bars
• 50g oatmeal
• 120g chocolate protein powder
• 50g natural peanut butter
• 100g skim milk powder
• 5g desiccated coconut
• 3/4 cup of water (as needed)
Directions
• Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and gradually adding the water
slowly until mixture has a sticky consistency to it
• Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the mixture evenly at
least an inch thick
• Refrigerate for 30 to 60 mins until mixture to becomes firm and hard.
• Once ready bars can be cut into 8 bars
• Wrap each bar in cling film and store in fridge

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Usually my high fat, low carb breakfast sustains me until lunch and then my high fat, low carb lunch sustains me until dinner. This was not the case when I did a low fat diet. But to answer your question, if I do need an extra snack sometime during the day I will eat:

- Salted and roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds, they taste similar to sunflower seeds)
    - I found the parmesan cheese crips at Publix. They are like crackers but made entirely of cheese so high fat, lower carb
    - String cheese
    - Pepperoni
    - Sugar free dark chocolate sweetened with stevia (I like Lily's)
    - Salted cashews
  • erincurry777
    erincurry777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in these chocolate coconut bars, they sound amazing!

Some of my favorites - roasted garbanzo beans (seasoned with your favorite seasoning, cajun, chile, etc), string cheese, frozen chocolate milk (if I need something sweet), and the best - rice cakes with peanut butter on them!
  • BackToTheBeach2017
    Options
    I'm a big fan of string cheese or small hummus packs and some veggies and a couple chips or low carb crackers. If I'm only snacking on fruit I tend to also eat a couple pieces of pepperoni or turkey because the fruit itself never sustains me long enough to the next meal.

I also love rice cakes and have experimented with tons of toppings. Peanut butter, fruit, avocado. This isn't great to being super on the go, but at my office I keep a little container of hard boiled eggs or egg salad made with avocados instead of mayo. Throw some of that on a rice cake topped with some red pepper flakes and it feels way more substantial.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Unsalted cashews (1/4 cup)
    Fruit of some type (a navel orange has been my recent pick)
    Air popped popcorn (a batch makes three 3-cup servings)
    A couple ounces of cheese

Easy peasy stuff.