not losing

Options
2»

Replies

• tierrafuego
    tierrafuego Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm your size, a little shorter, and weight and no way would I lose at 1900 calories a day. I am hitting 1500-1600 most days and am exercising (some days moderately for 60 min, some days intensely for 90). Doing this, I have lost a couple pounds a week for the last several months. Not linear, at all, but fits and spurts.

With Keto, if I'm really doing it and not eating a bunch of low carb "crap", I will lose weight. Sometimes a lot of weight. Make sure you're: 1) not kidding yourself about what you're really eating, 2) drinking all the water in the world--your body can't let go of weight if it's worried it's going to be dehydrated, 3) getting plenty of salt/magnesium.

Good luck--it does work, but it's never easy.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I first went on the LCHF diet I gained about 5 pounds and I didn't lose anything until I had been on the diet for over 44 days. I think some people just need more time to adapt to eating this way. I started at 100g carbs and kept lowering every 4 or 5 days. This way, I never suffered from the low carb flu.

I also had to pay attention to calories even though some people say not to. I can eat 2,000 calories and keep my carbs below 50 but that way I wont lose weight.

It's a learning experience too. You find carbs in the weirdest ingredients and sometimes manufacturers can be very misleading in the amount of carbs they have loaded down into your food. You also need to find triggers for you. Like if I eat mixed salted nuts, I can't stop but if I eat raw unsalted nuts I'm just fine.

Do you feel any different on the diet? The pain and swelling in my wrist and ankles went away when I 1st started. And eating fat made me very, very happy...a real mood improvement for me. My swollen face got thinner looking and my belly shrunk by about an inch. But I did NOT lose an ounce until my 44th day on the diet. The only reason I stuck with the diet was because of these changes. I think I would have given up if I had not seen such improvements so quickly.
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thanks Everyone for your replies ....my stats are 46 years old ....5'6 235 lbs.....It was recommended by my dr. to try the keto diet...I am pre diabetic....I do not have HBP....MFP gave me 1910 calories ....I changed my calories and macros due to what ruled.me.com gave me. My sodium is the way it is from what I have read in this group...If there is anything else I am missing ..Please let me know....my best friend Ms_smartypants has done awesome with the keto diet and she has given me advice but it doesn't seem to work for me ...I would appreciate anyone's help....Thanks

break over back to work for me ...Thanks again

I see MFP gave you 1910 and you changed to 2059 per calculations from ruled. Close enough. What did you enter as your activity level and amount of pounds per week to lose?

You'll rarely hear me say this but I'm kinda thinking you might be eating too much. The back story to that is when someone asks for help my usual comment is "Girl, you need to eat more".

I ran your numbers on several TDEE calculators and "sedentary" gives about 2100 calories at your weight for maintenance so you probably used something greater than sedentary which is understandable if you are on your feet and running around during a 12 hour shift at the retirement home. Whatever number you used for loss per week must be low (1/2 pound) and/or whatever activity level you used for your daily routine of walking a lot at work must be high. Or a combo of both... that doesn't seem to be working for weight loss. So again, how much are you "set" to lose per week and where did you set your activity level

"Numbers" aren't the entire pic. I know that but it is a starting point. I'm just feeling your frustration and trying to help. Fortunately "numbers" worked for me for weight loss and that might be true for you also, just not as they're currently set.

Thanks for your help ....My activity level is lightly active and I have it set to lose 1 pound...I didn't think I should set it to active because there are times that I am not walking as much

It really appears as though you have found your maintenace calories for yourself. 40 average days at ~2000 calories=maintain your current weight.

I'm not going to suggest how many calories you eat. You can determine that. Use some on-line TDEE calculators. FitnessFrog is a good/simple one that is in-line with the average in its calculations. I've played around with all of them hoping fitnessfrog was wrong about MY calories. LOL. It's basic and doesn't require that piece of information most of us would have to guess, lean body mass. Enter your GOAL weight with the other stats and see how many (few) calories you would need/want (maybe have) to eat to maintain at your goal (when you get there).

I also suggest using the sedentary setting versus lightly active. Doing so removes the activity variable. Who knows how active one really is on any given day at any given job. You've said yourself that some days at work you walk more than others. You don't have to use (in MFP) the low calorie number that "sedentary at goal weight" will give you. That might be too severe of a cut. Pick a reasonable number somewhere between "sedentary at goal" and 2060 calories (your current). If whatever you choose turns out too low and you're always hungry or feel lethargic, up it a little. Your sedentary calories @ 140 pounds are going to be around 1600. I've run the numbers on several TDEE calculators (cuz I like to do that) but you need to play around with several yourself. You'll see a couple are high and a couple are low. Most hit right in the middle without much difference. And don't use only keto calculators. Use standard TDEE calculators that are designed to compute calories only. Play around entering different body weights and see how the numbers change.

Any/all of these calculators are "broad strokes" and are not exact or perfect. You have to experiment with the numbers to find your "sweet spot" that will allow you to get your needed nourishment, , not be hungry and still lose weight. Hope it works for you and you begin to see/feel the weight loss. I commend you on your 40 days of patience. Be as accurate on your diary entries as possible without driving yourself crazy.

Thanks again for your help ....I did what you said about looking at different TDEE calculators .....I did 3 different ones and I am going with fitnessfrog.. I entered my goal weight with no exercise and it gave me 1569 I changed it in MFP .. Thanks Again

Also thank you to everyone to commented ...Greatly appreciated
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

. Enter your GOAL weight with the other stats and see how many (few) calories you would need/want (maybe have) to eat to maintain at your goal (when you get there).

I also suggest using the sedentary setting versus lightly active. Doing so removes the activity variable. Who knows how active one really is on any given day at any given job. You've said yourself that some days at work you walk more than others. You don't have to use (in MFP) the low calorie number that "sedentary at goal weight" will give you. That might be too severe of a cut. Pick a reasonable number somewhere between "sedentary at goal" and 2060 calories (your current). If whatever you choose turns out too low and you're always hungry or feel lethargic, up it a little. Your sedentary calories @ 140 pounds are going to be around 1600. I've run the numbers on several TDEE calculators (cuz I like to do that) but you need to play around with several yourself. You'll see a couple are high and a couple are low. Most hit right in the middle without much difference. And don't use only keto calculators. Use standard TDEE calculators that are designed to compute calories only. Play around entering different body weights and see how the numbers change.

I think this is great advice. I especially like the idea of eating at maintenance of the goal weight. I feel like that's most likely a comfortable deficit that's not crazy aggressive or aggressive at all depending on far away from goal a person is.
    It naturally tapers off the calorie deficit as you go.

Also, listening to your body's hunger signals is so important.
    Figuring out if it is real hunger, boredom, exercise induced, food triggered or true hunger and all that can be tricky but I honestly believe low carb gives us the advantage to finally begin to understand hunger and actually make progress toward naturally eating the right amounts.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @msfutureskinnyminnie You will find the number you will be able to lose You have some awesome advice so far I know that you really want this and you will succeed giving up is not an option (which you already know) proud of you for keeping up with this for over 40 days ....I will see you tomorrow :)
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    With advice from a friend ...I have decided to incorporate exercise M-F for an hour....Still using fitnessfrog my calories are now 2027...my question is do I add calories from exercise into MFP or since I am using the TDEE do I just eat the 2027? So confused
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Since you are using a TDEE calculator you just eat the 2027 calories since it incorporates your exercise
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How did you arrive at 2027 calories? @msfutureskinnyminnie ?
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    I am assuming she put in moderate exercise since she wants to exercise 5 days a week in fitnessfrog
  • kpk54
    Options
    I am assuming she put in moderate exercise since she wants to exercise 5 days a week in fitnessfrog

I've not seen that feature on fitnessfrog. Don't think it has it. @msfutureskinnyminnie ?
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    I went to the TDEE calculator on fitnessfrog it was on the bottom where I entered my age ,goal weight etc. and yes I entered moderate exercise for 5 days a week . Went over on fat and calories tonight -not too worried about it
  • kpk54
    Options
    I went to the TDEE calculator on fitnessfrog it was on the bottom where I entered my age ,goal weight etc. and yes I entered moderate exercise for 5 days a week . Went over on fat and calories tonight -not too worried about it

Oh, I know what you mean. You took it off sedentary and clicked moderate.

I dunno. My mode would be to see how I lost and functioned for a couple of weeks regarding lethargy and hunger at the reduced calories then add some exercise and see how the exercise assisted the loss after I knew the former (the calories). Exercise can screw things up sometimes with water retention and increased hunger so you don't know if it is the calories or the exercise messin' with things.

There are many ways to achieve a goal. Good luck!
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    msfutureskinnyminnie Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have decided to trust MFP....will eat 1910 on weekends and more with exercise m-f ...give it a month or so and then re-evaluate ....Thanks again for everyone's help

Oh and I lost 1 pound
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and 5'10". I'm reasonably active and I can't lose weight on 1700. I have to reduce it to 1400. Calculators are just a general indication, everyone's different. You may not be able to lose weight on that many calories.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and 5'10". I'm reasonably active and I can't lose weight on 1700. I have to reduce it to 1400. Calculators are just a general indication, everyone's different. You may not be able to lose weight on that many calories.

Same here, I seem to have this weird calorie wall. I'm 5'8" and even when I was 340 lbs, I could only lose when I was at 1400 calories; nearly 100 lbs less, the same remains true. As soon as I creep up to 1500-1800 my weight loss grinds to a halt. Albeit I could continue maintaining up to about 2,100 calories. And this has held true with many macro variations and has been a consistent level for me for over 10 years. The difference that eating LCHF made for me is that I'm no longer hangry at 1400 calories and eating at that level doesn't drive me to binge every weekend.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Glad you started losing. If it stops again, and for a long time, I would consider lowering your caloric goals a bit.

I was 41 and 190lbs at 5'8" when I started losing. I set my deficit for about 1-1.5 lbs lost per week, or at 1420kcal. I was hungrier than that so I ate around 1500 kcal, yet I lost over 2 lbs per week for months. That would imply that my maintenance is over 2500 kcal per day. I am basically sedentary (some walking, raising kids and a bit of basketball) but when I upped my calories to 2500, I gained. And quickly. Quite a bit darn it. I lowered my calories by 500 and I was actually still gaining at 2000.

Anyways, my point is that for some, like me, your caloric needs shift and change based on life, health, weight, foods you eat, exercise (I gained when I started regular exercise - weird) and hormones, so those TDEE calculators are not always the best help. They can be affected by many factors. If the numbers that you have are working, stick with it, but if they aren't then consider changing them.

Best wishes. :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    I found MFP settings at SEDENTARY to be very close to the averages of TDEE calculators also set to SEDENTARY so used MFPs sedentary setting and ate to that amount unless I exercised. WHEN I exercised I was content eating a portion of the "calories burned" back. I "bold" sedentary since that was the only one I was willing to follow. I never tried to guess at an activity level.

I'm older. 58 when I was losing. MFP's deficit calorie amount was ~1400 (at 203 pounds) down to 1200 as I got closer to goal. At 63, maintenance calories are 1530. At sedentary. I eat about that amount most days. On an "I'm in control kind of day" :# if I exercise or am just plain hungry, I don't worry about eating a little more. The TDEE calculators also have me right around 1500 if I kick out the high and low one.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also. Does your doctor know you're eating a keto diet? The RDA for sodium is for sugar burners. Things are different on keto.
    Ask the doctor about sodium needs taking into account the nateuresis of ketosis so he understands (hopefully) how much sodium you are LOSING on a daily basis.

Also, I didn't think @cstehansen was suggesting that YOU need more sodium but nearly everyone else, with rare exception, on keto does need 4000mg or more every single day.
    My doctor(s) recommended I eat a diet void of sugar, excess salt, bread, candy, soda, sweets, plenty of vegetables, and lean meats.