What the actual F MFP?

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
So I have paid premium membership to MFP. Means no ads, right? Then WHY is this garbage on my news feed today? I've lodged a complaint to support, seems every day there's carb laden cr@p on my feed. I'm sick of it.

jmkvlvwkjgob.jpg
wtf.jpg 251.6K

Replies

• nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    :D carb laden cra@p lol.
    I don't think it's an ad. I think it's a news feed :D
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOL. I don't have premium so can't complain about ads. But I would like to. The crustless quiche and the chicken salad ads look pretty tasty.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    The MFP blog stuff appeared in my news feed out of the blue (brown) one day. No idea how to turn it off.. :s
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    By "no ads" I mean, I should not get unsolicited rubbish of any kind on my feed. And aside from that, what kind of diet or healthy eating website promotes this stuff? I have seen some absolutely appalling "suggestions" on my feed from MFP ... do they really thing suggesting chocolate and cupcakes and pies and stuff is helpful to anyone? Regardless of the actual calorie content of these things the picture is enough to trigger a lot of people.

I felt like MFP doesn't necessarily promote healthy eating, it promotes CICO and it sells. Most people don't want to give up junk food and wanna lose weight fast and easy lol
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    All I can say is: it sucks and all I needed was a chocolate trigger today (thanks a lot, MFP). B!tch at them about it. I doubt they'll change, but at least they'll know paying customers are displeased.

Let's make sure not to turn this into a MFP trash-a-thon though. Okay?
  • DietPrada
    Options
    I'm not trashing them. I've been using MFP for about 10 years. I'm just saying it's poor form. I did not once mention "that place that shall not be named".
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I'm not trashing them. I've been using MFP for about 10 years. I'm just saying it's poor form. I did not once mention "that place that shall not be named".

I agree. It is poor form.

I was just reminding all readers of this thread to refrain from getting out of hand. If I don't say anything, it will be viewed as me not doing my "job". That perceived permissiveness could come back to bite us in the rump. I prefer to head that off.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Is there a setting to change so you don't get random blog post notifications on your newsfeed?

And I agree with the poor form, for awhile I was getting nothing but grocery store and fast-food ads. Not helpful.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yes, the incessant blog posts drive me nuts too, from a functionality standpoint, they're just too heavily featured in the news feed sometimes. You might want to jump in on the beta testing so you can share feedback.

I have to say though, this is an app for everyone, and whilst most of us here choose to avoid sugar, there are many different woe that work for different people and many different food philosophies out there in the MFP world... I eat chocolate most days, albeit it's 99% chocolate.

I try not to judge people who follow the path of moderation, straight CICO, IIFYM and other woe that might include junk food because (a) if it works for them, lucky them and (b) I don't want to be judged for my choices. I believe in clean eating, which is being totally stigmatised in the press right now... MFP can't please all people at all times, just about every woe can be picked apart by someone else. I think we all know that. Unfortunately the low carb safe space exists solely in this virtual room, and I sure am glad we have it. Thanks mods!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    By "no ads" I mean, I should not get unsolicited rubbish of any kind on my feed. And aside from that, what kind of diet or healthy eating website promotes this stuff? I have seen some absolutely appalling "suggestions" on my feed from MFP ... do they really thing suggesting chocolate and cupcakes and pies and stuff is helpful to anyone? Regardless of the actual calorie content of these things the picture is enough to trigger a lot of people.

I fully agree with you. But in unison with many other "dieting" platforms...maybe eternal yoyo dieters is why the industry even exists?

I have to bite my to tongue when people on the sugar rollercoaster complain about the (possibly fake) hunger. No doubt they think it's real hunger. I used to think so too. We're so lucky here we found a way to at least diminish or curb appetite.

The opposite of yoyo dieting is effortless maintenance. But I'd guess that's hardly a good business model for neither processed food-like products nor dieting industry. Repeat customers = bigger revenue.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Blog posts don't qualify as ads. I would definitely agree though, that there should be the option to prevent them from showing up. If for no other reason, than fully half of what shows up from them us poorly written, and/or just blatantly obnoxious.

There are only two blogs that I have read in their entirety (chaosandpain.blogspot.com and lift-run-bang.com). You'll notice some common themes: neither of them cater to sedentary housewives with emotional attachments to foods (in fact, Jamie rather openly mocks such people in his CnP blog),and they both espouse using a love of training and dietary control to become better than everyone else. That last one is something that inspires much wailing and gnashing of teeth on MFP.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree there are a lot of blog posts that are promoted that absolutely do not fit my WOE. I really wish if you were a paying customer that you absolutely did not see any thing on your feed or even in the sidebar that is not from your friends or any of the Community groups you are involved with. Also, for non-paying customers there should be a section where you can set your preferences about such topics. For example, you can select multiple check boxes that state whether you are interested in yoga, running, weight lifting, sports, low-carb eating, low-fat eating, vegan or vegetarian eating, etc and then MFP should do their best if they are going to promote posts to you to only promote what aligns with your interests.

OP, if you file a complaint on the suggestions/feedback forum and link back to it I will gladly give you some support on the post.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Totally weird!! Maybe because it's on your phone?? I only go on MFP on my desktop & on my tablet in Chrome browser (not app). I have the free one still and only get sidebar ads for 'Big Data for 2017', tip site for smoker's lip wrinkles (I've never smoked), and some fat zone/metabolism thing. Nothing else, except once in a while I get ads for companies that produce experiment ingredients for scientific researchers (what's with that?). Looks like Premium isn't worth it.
    Blog posts just show up as a short list of titles in a tiny box on the side.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Out of pure curiosity I had a look at my own feed. Recipes for chocolate chip cookies, 8 ways to use chocolate, Nestle water, training gear, chocolate cake recipe, chicken recipes, and lots of various blogs.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is insightful. I've been contemplating on whether or not to go Premium. But if you still get stuff like that..... then it's not very encouraging to do so.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So I have paid premium membership to MFP. Means no ads, right? Then WHY is this garbage on my news feed today? I've lodged a complaint to support, seems every day there's carb laden cr@p on my feed. I'm sick of it.

I am guessing there may have been a change in default news feed settings from one version of the mobile MFP app to the next.

Anyhow, in the mobile apps under Settings > Sharing and Privacy > News Feed Sharing:

At the bottom of the checkbox list is an option to turn on/off: "There are news articles from the MyFitnessPal Blog."

Unchecking that box should remove MFP's blog posts from your newsfeed.

@baconslave
  • DietPrada
    Options
    Yeah I've turned them off now. It'd be better though if it was "opt in" instead of "opt out". I can't imagine these posts would be useful for ANYONE trying to make a healthy change. I'd welcome posts with healthy recipes and tips.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yeah I've turned them off now. It'd be better though if it was "opt in" instead of "opt out". I can't imagine these posts would be useful for ANYONE trying to make a healthy change. I'd welcome posts with healthy recipes and tips.

Unfortunately, opt-out is the universal norm for a lot of unrequested content - and that's only the stuff you have a choice about!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Totally weird!! Maybe because it's on your phone?? I only go on MFP on my desktop & on my tablet in Chrome browser (not app). I have the free one still and only get sidebar ads for 'Big Data for 2017', tip site for smoker's lip wrinkles (I've never smoked), and some fat zone/metabolism thing. Nothing else, except once in a while I get ads for companies that produce experiment ingredients for scientific researchers (what's with that?). Looks like Premium isn't worth it.
    Blog posts just show up as a short list of titles in a tiny box on the side.

Yes it is the mobile app that does this. The desktop is manageable with ad-block on. :)