Hey there

Options
OlySteve68
OlySteve68 Posts: 413 Member
Guess I'll be the first to say hey. I live in Olympia, WA, will be 49 in April and I retired from the military 4 years ago. I've since gained about 25 pounds and I'm not at all happy with myself. I've really let myself slip and have finally made the commitment to change. I spent the last 14 years of my Army career in a special operations unit. When I assessed for this group in the summer of '99 I weighed 205 with 7% bodyfat. I was one of the oldest guys in the class but by far in the best shape. I know I will never get to that level again with the injuries I've sustained but there's no reason why I can't lose 25-30 and get to looking and feeling better. I'm bringing sexy back before summer! LOL

Replies

• jbells93
    jbells93 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, welcome! I hope we get some more folks to join, but even if it ends up just us 3, we'll still get the benefit of being accountable to others, and that's the most important thing. How about we do weigh in/status reports on Monday? I'll start a thread each week where you can sound off and get whatever support you need. My name is Joy, I'm a forty-something mom from Jacksonville, FL. I'm going thru a divorce after 20 years from a military service member, OlySteve, I lived in Seattle area for 4 years, have friends and family still there, so welcome, congrats on retirement, and thank you for your service. Welcome to you, too, Tazzali. Never lived in NY, but used to visit a lot when we lived in Newport, RI, where my Yankee son was born, lol! My daughter was born at Ft. Lewis in Tacoma, WA, so I have East and West Coast babies, thanks to the Navy.
  • jbells93
    Options
    Hmm part of my post was cut off, maybe there's a word limit or something? Anyway, all it really said was that I hope you both have a good few days, are good over the weekend, and are ready to report in on Monday with how much weight you've lost! I'll start a new thread every Monday, and you can respond to it with your results and we'll give you congrats or support and encouragement. Maybe we'll give some tips to get everyone losing, or whatever you might need to unload. Sporadic, random rants to get things off your chest are welcome as long as they're not aimed at a group member.Good luck, see ya on Monday!!!!
  • OlySteve68
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jbells93 wrote: »
    Hey guys, welcome! I hope we get some more folks to join, but even if it ends up just us 3, we'll still get the benefit of being accountable to others, and that's the most important thing. How about we do weigh in/status reports on Monday? I'll start a thread each week where you can sound off and get whatever support you need. My name is Joy, I'm a forty-something mom from Jacksonville, FL. I'm going thru a divorce after 20 years from a military service member, OlySteve, I lived in Seattle area for 4 years, have friends and family still there, so welcome, congrats on retirement, and thank you for your service. Welcome to you, too, Tazzali. Never lived in NY, but used to visit a lot when we lived in Newport, RI, where my Yankee son was born, lol! My daughter was born at Ft. Lewis in Tacoma, WA, so I have East and West Coast babies, thanks to the Navy.

Funny.....I grew up in Providence, RI and then got sent to Fort Lewis after AIT from 87-90.
  • jbells93
    Options

Funny.....I grew up in Providence, RI and then got sent to Fort Lewis after AIT from 87-90.
    [/quote]

Lol, that is weird! Life is funny. The hospital on Ft. Lewis was awesome. My daughter was born 10 weeks early, weighed 2 lbs. She was there for 8 weeks, never got sick, just needed time to grow and get big enough to come home. It was very scary, I had severe preeclampsia that developed in a few hours, just came on so fast. We both could have pretty easily died, but we're both doing great. She's 12 now, and you'd never know to look at her that she was a preemie. Walked out with her all those weeks later, didn't cost us a dime. I call her my Million Dollar Baby, her care would have easily cost that much at a private hospital, I'd still be paying off our portion of the costs. Kinda nice!
  • kittynieve
    kittynieve Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just joined after I saw your post in the introduction section and I'm happy to be here :) I'm 28 years old, half American, half German and live in Ireland at the moment.
    I always struggled with my weight since puberty and over the last two years I gained another 20 pounds so it was enough now. I am determined to lose around 44 lbs overall, so I signed up to the gym 2 weeks ago and started tracking my calories.

Nice to meet you all and good luck!
  • kdyuille
    kdyuille Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am from Lynchburg Virginia. I am 44 years old,married and have two sons ages 19 and 12! I work a job that requires 10-11 hours everyday except Saturday and Sundays. My boys loves sports so all year around we are practicing and playing games for some sport going on. I have a busy schedule but I still know it can be done. Did it before and I need to get back at it because I love the feeling of being healthy. I need the support and motivation. That extra push will be lovely.
  • CupcakeBoyle
    CupcakeBoyle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    Im Rebecca 29 years young, im from North England,
    I have 83lbs to lose my biggest down fall is Saturday nights i love red wine,
  • jbells93
    Options
    Welcome kttynieve and kdyuille! Great to have you both. Kdyuille, I sent you an invite to the group but you beat me to it, you'd already joined, that's awesome! Just ignore the invite I sent. First meeting is Monday, so don't forget to check in, give us your status for the week, and we'll cheer you on, either way. Great to have some members from across the pond, as they say, kittynieve, hope you enjoy the group and hope it helps you as well. I'd love to visit Ireland someday, it's on my bucket list for sure. I've been to Italy and France, but we didn't have time to go further north. Someday! See y'all on Monday! Good luck!
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Sara. I've been an off and on user of MFP for several years. I created a new account back in October. I have over 100 pounds to lose. I was recently diagnosed with Lupus back in August. I live in Fredericksburg, VA and am currently what they call a civilian Marine. I work for the Marine Corps, the organization that runs the programs for the Marines and their families. The Navy people would know it as MWR (I'm a Navy brat).
  • rbyrby
    rbyrby Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is cris, 22 years old from manila, philippines. I recently discovered this section of this app and am glad to meet you all. Since i started working, i became overweight and would like to get rid of it. I wanna be a part of this community to stay motivated and live healthy. Good luck to us!
  • RigSel
    RigSel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    I'm from Toronto, Canada. Just turned 40. Height 5'5". Mom to two kids (8 & 3) and trying to lose the weight that I've put on. Starting W 164.3, CW 160.9, GW 135. I was at 135 lbs for about 10 years but the weight has sneaked up on me (5 lbs here, 7 lbs there!) since having children. Hope to lose it all and go back to my "sane weight" (healthy, non-obsessive, minimize stress, have a life other than watching what I eat and how much I work out, strong) of 135 lbs.
    Hope we all get to our goals!
  • jbells93
    Options
    Welcome Sara, Cris, and RigSel!!! Great to have you here, first meeting is Monday, just post your stats in the "meeting" thread, along with whatever else you'd like to contribute, and we'll keep going from there, every Monday will get new thread. Looking forward to hearing from y'all!!
  • JeannetteC2017
    JeannetteC2017 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here goes. First post, as I have been more of a reader, than a poster.
    I'm 53, married, with a daughter(21) and son(19). I live about an hour west of Toronto, Ontario. I'm a teacher who is currently working at the union representing other teachers.
    I started on here four weeks ago. Although over 200 pounds since 1993, my weight was going up by about 10 pounds each year in the last 5 years. With my weight getting within 20 pounds of 300, as well as the struggle to do everyday things or participate with others, I finally decided to commit to sticking with a program.
    I look forward to sharing in everyone's journey! Thank you Joy for organizing this.
  • haysc01
    haysc01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi team! I'm Cindi. I have been off my feet, literally, with Illness issues. I am currently in Physical Therapy, My big goal is to not fall down. I am in need of losing weight for health and happiness.

Like others I have been in fantastic shape, I was doing 6 plates on the leg press, at 45, and boxing at the gym.

My goals are a work in progress. 1/2 pound per week today.
  • OlySteve68
    Options
    Hi Cindi. Thanks for posting! We'll all meet our goals with hard work, dedication, and support.