Living The Lifestyle, February 13, 2017

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Am I Tough Enough?

MHO- the fat, overweight, the obese, both morbidly and plain old ordinary, excel at beating ourselves up. One of my favorite things to say here is "You can't just beat yourself into submission."

Just the same, sometimes its a big help to just say no. Sometimes its the only available path. How do you find the balance between between sucking it up to get it done and running yourself into ground?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Taking stock of myself when starting, I figured that I was not tough at all. So I set about making things as simple and easy as possible. It seemed to me that the program had two main things to do, attend the meeting and keep the journal. The meeting was a five minute drive from my house. Easy. There was etool tracking (not sure that the etool name was attached yet) but that involved figuring that out. I could already use paper and pencil, so I did that.

I found some point friendly food that I liked and kept it close at hand. My meals were mostly pre cooked on Sunday. I could go from nothing to dinner in about 5 min with the microwave. Fortunately, I was already exercising regularly when I started.

Here's what I didn't do. I didn't track GHG. Some I didn't even try to follow. i didn't monitor my moods. If it was within my points and I wanted it I ate it. I didn't tell myself that my life was all celery and carrot sticks from now on. But I made plans to try to avoid the "just say no" situations. I caught myself, and resisted the notion that now that I was "serious" about WL I had to increase my exercise as to both time and intensity. Oh, and even though I kept thinking about it, I never walked or rode my bike to the meeting even though I could have done either with modest effort. Just wasn't as easy as the drive.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of making things as easy as possible. My home environment is such that it's relatively easy to "eat well." Indeed, when I'm at home for extended periods of time, my weight generally drifts down.

But, even after all these years, I'm not sure I am completely "tough." I still find it challenging to simply say "no" to every tempting food when I'm traveling. I still fall into old habits when I see (work) friends from around the country on trips. It's not as bad as it was before I started WW, but it's far from perfect, too.

Thus, there are times where you do simply have to say "no" to things, but I don't have the strength to say "no" to everything that I should!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    This post could not have been more timely. I've been saying yes to everything lately and I have completely burned myself out and crashed and burned yesterday. When I get socially overwhelmed I tend to eat to self sooth, which isn't good.

When I get to this point, I take a "me" day where I lock myself in the house and only interact with the dog. I only do what I want when I want during that day. It's amazingly refreshing, especially since I'm a strong introvert. It helps me to recenter myself and my goals.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am kind of lucky in that how I eat now is how I ate most of my life. I crept up over a period of years, eating the same foods but in bigger quantities and with more indulgences. It was a pretty stressful window of time and I lost focus on caring for myself. I am pretty "tough" from a discipline stand point...saying "no" is not easy, but I can most definitely do it. Now by joining WW I think I do it even better...When I joined WW it actually was a bit easier that there was a system behind me versus just the consumed knowledge I had over the years and a mindfulness of what I consumed but not actually tracking it.

So with the tracker, the website data and the community the entire process was better for me. I did not have to make big food changes, just tweaks as I tracked. I re-learned to say no by telling myself, this is how you used to eat for years just go back to that...little by little I got there.

My doctor is the one who put my head into portion control, when we were discussing various popular diets, when I reached a weight he and I knew was getting much too high, he said "in the end it is not so much what you eat as much as how much." For some reason although logically I knew that...hearing it did the trick for me. I lost about 12 pounds on my own, then joined WW for more structure.

I do lean on the program a lot. I'm always hoping they don't go out of business etc. Even though I know the program inside/out...I hate to see the tools go away. Point tracking is way simpler than calorie tracking to me. Free fruit and veggies is such a break from calorie counting. But I am pretty sure I can build the structure and tools myself if I needed to and hopefully never go back to a unhealthy weight.
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I am not tough at all!!!!!!! I've proven that through all these weight-loss campaigns and all these trips through GoaDland. The only way it works for me to this point in time, is to stay away from the temptation. Sometimes I successfully beat the temptation to give in, but most times I give in to it and before long I'm flying off the rails, ultimately leading to a huge crash-and-burn..... YMMV
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    Options
    If I have learned anything, the main core of my plan can't be a "just say no" approach. I am not that tough day in and day out and I find it is a rather negative and unsustainable approach. Lately, I have had a few medical people ask me how dedicated to getting the weight back down. It helped remind me of it is one thing I can do right now that will lessen the issues I am having with my back and knee. It is something I have a significant amount of control over. I am trying to keep that in the frontend of my mental approach. More of a what am I saying yes to than what I am saying no to. It is less draining. It doesn't mean there aren't struggles and poor decisions, but I am finding anew, that it is less fatiguing than denial.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I realized shortly after switching to the Core plan that the foods on the list were pretty much things I ate when I was growing up -- and NOT overweight. So making the switch was pretty easy for me.

Eggs and grits for breakfast. Or oatmeal. Or Cream of Wheat.

Lunch became more focused on vegetables (usually in the form of a BIG salad). I could still have an ounce of shredded cheddar cheese on the salad and count points for it. Same for a couple of tablespoons of my Thousand Island dressing.

Dinner became some form of protein (usually low-fat beef or a grilled chicken breast) with more vegetables.

I did try to pay attention to the GHGs -- especially the dairies. Finding that I didn't have to use any points for skim milk helped a lot there!

I was never and "exerciser"; but I did try to add some activity every day. I like walking so that was easy for me to do even when I was working. It wasn't a problem for me to take three 10-minute walks a day. In addition, I started parking farther away at work and when shopping.

And a "treat" was usually sugar-free pudding.

But one of the biggest changes was getting away from the fast food. I still treated myself to a McDonald's trip once a week but instead of a quarter-pounder with cheese, large order of fries, and a large sweet tea I switched to a cheeseburger and small fries. Over time I was even able to switch to unsweetened iced tea. I still don't like it; but I either have unsweetened or half sweet and half unsweetened.

I also realized that I wasn't willing to waste points on food that wasn't really even good. I had no problem saying "no" to these things.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm really only tough with avoiding those foods that cause me GI distress. Put chocolate in arm's reach, and I'll likely indulge no matter the time of day.

Any toughness, or persistence, is in the area of getting in my workouts. I enjoy being physically active, especially if it means I can be outside.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I first joined WW I was tough and extremely disciplined. I could say no to any thing.

Today it is the opposite and have a difficult time saying no most the time. Even tacking has been hard to stick to. My fault of course.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    It's not all or nothing for me but saying no is definitely difficult more often now than when I first started WW and GoaD board. I think that meeting with a Behavior Nutritionists starting this week and also meeting with the local hospital dietitian ( still waiting to hear back for an initial appointment) is going to assist me in figuring out what I had total willpower to do in the past. After 5 times losing 100 lbs in the past I very interested in both aspects of this total program. I am very interested in learning from the dietician more about foods that I like to eat but want assistance with some of the sugar free and fat free foods and their effect on the body if she can answer those questions.

Pushing back and saying no is the other part of the equation. Portion control is easier said than done for me. Part of that is that I try to eat WW friendly items like lettuce, spinach vegetables in general and slow down on certain meats and so forth. I'll be getting into working on solving these issues as I go along and report back.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    @88olds MHO confused me so I googled it. I AM familiar with and have used IMHO frequently on line.
    MHO brought up My Honest Opinion, BUT the Urban dictionary had a whole different definition (pun intended). LoL
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Interesting question @88olds . As I think back, my 'less-than-totally-tough' self was probably what inspired me to put myself on the '90/10' plan shortly after joining WW. That was simply a function of acknowledging that I had and followed no plan for decades and that's what got me in WW's door. So, it made sense to me that if I followed the plan 90% of the time, I'd be doing much better than really, ever before.

I think I'm with @leeless511 , that it wasn't as much what I was eating and drinking, but how much, that got me fat. I too needed the structure of WW (or some program, but that was what I chose) to help me get where I chose to go. Once I got a little course correction on GOAD for the fact that especially under the previous WW program (Points Plus) I could eat anything, it actually gave me freedom to mix and match to my heart's content. At that time I was in the losing mode and I really appreciated the flexibility. I could vary my meals or drinks daily if I wanted and I lost pretty consistently though some weeks were definitely better than others. I didn't have to be tough most of the time because between my 90 / 10 approach and PP flexibility, it was pretty manageable.

Now, on maintenance, it's not really a lot different. Well RIGHT NOW it is as I seem to be gaining almost without explanation (but I think there is one). I was pretty much eating on the SP program before the programs rolled out (back to not so much what I ate but how much). I've reached a weird point where I sometimes just get tired of the constant vigilance, but again you GOADies have helped me understand it's maintenance fatigue. Alright well, sometimes I'm really fatigued. But truthfully, it hasn't really led me too far astray, certainly more in mind than in real life. It's testing my toughness I suppose, but the truth is I really don't want to creep back to where I was. So, I'm feeling the battle but certainly haven't lost the war.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly SFT / core foods. I get in GHGs pretty much but don't do dairy and never needed to track them. I kept it simple but tracked points for one year at goal while memorizing it all. I now do mostly SFT but measure portions and don' t "journal" except in my mind.
    Simple is better for me.