New to Keto- fat question

Options
IS it possible to gain if you stay under your carbs but fo over in fat?

Replies

• shriramsinbox
    shriramsinbox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is and you will gain. Whether you gain in fat / muscle depends on how you train .

It is very important to keep an overall caloric deficit diet no matter if you stay under your carbs or over. So remember to watch 1) Carbs 2) overall calories - for weight loss. For muscle gain you need to 3 )keep your protein up too
  • candrist
    candrist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way.

Hit Your Protein Goal
    Don't Go Over Your Carb Goal
    The more you stay under your Fat Goal the Faster you will lose weight.

Basically, your Carb and Protien Goals will not change unless your activity level changes.

You just eat less fat up until you hit your goal weight, then you up your fat intake.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've also read to be moderate in protein (hit your goal though) because if you go over it can turn into glucose.

Other people say this is fear mongering, etc. But a thought to keep in mind.
  • brandypelkola1
    brandypelkola1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have come to the following conclusions. Of course, I'm NO expert and these are just my own personal opinions based on my adjustment to the keto lifestyle.

-ALWAYS stay under your carb macro
    -Hit or come damn close to your protein macro; this is necessary to ensure that when the scale goes down, it's fat and not muscle tissue that you're losing.
    -My fat macro is a ceiling. I try not to go above it.
    -Maintain your desired caloric deficit. Regardless of what you eat, you will not lose weight if you're taking in more calories than you're burning!
    -Stay super hydrated! Water obviously is the best choice to achieve this.

*In my experience, when I am in ketosis, my appetite is very even and steady. I am rarely hungry, and sometimes I have to force myself to eat. If I do get to the point where I'm genuinely hungry, it's because I've skipped a meal. I had a few Bud Select 55 beers (the lowest I could find in calories, carbs, and alcohol content) over the weekend, and am pretty sure that they threw my butt right out of ketosis, since I've been hungrier than usual over the last day. I think that's likely because I've fed the carb beast inside of me a little more than was really prudent and my carb addiction is begging for more.

I think the most important thing in doing this is to pay attention to your own body. What works for one person, may not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Regardless of what the scale says from one week to the next, know that you're not fueling your body with processed frankenfood! Keep calm and keto on! xoxo
  • Whoniverse_Lover
    Whoniverse_Lover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience I'm not worried about small gains on the scale e.g. 1-3 lbs. I weigh everyday and average the weights at the end of each week. I have an excel spreadsheet I use. I take my measurements. I pay attention to how my clothes are fitting and how my health and how I feel is improving. The reason I don't worry about small gains (never had big gains eating this way) is because I know that my body is changing/shifting.

Meaning it's building muscle while burning fat and sometimes that is going to be off balance on the scale. They both weigh the same so if I've put on 6 lbs of muscle and burned 3 lbs of fat, the scale is going to say I gained 3 lbs.

I watched a documentary presentation once and a lady went up to the microphone and asked "How could I go from a size 18 to a size 8 and I only lost 10 lbs?" The panel explained that her body built her a lot of muscle while it burned the fat.