Over 350 - What is your calorie goal?

Options
Fat2Fit4Life
Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
Being over 350lbs, I don't agree with just trying to lose 2lbs a week (at least at first). My first priority is dropping quickly, but also healthily until I get under 300lbs. I will then reevaluate everything.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm at the just over 300 mark. I try for approximately 1900 and just to up my exercise. Too low and I don't stick to it, and derail.

Good luck.
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options
    violet456 wrote: »
    I'm at the just over 300 mark. I try for approximately 1900 and just to up my exercise. Too low and I don't stick to it, and derail.

Good luck.

Thanks!
  • ShaDucky
    ShaDucky Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 350. My cal goal or 1940...i try not to eat any of my exercise calories. I track gym through map my run and put my weight in as 150 so that the calorie count would be smaller looking.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was 389# now 296# in 18 months - am 54 year old. I cannot comment on calories as I don't count them. MFP insists and won't let me turn calories off. My Nutrients are far more important. You can eat only icecream to use up calories. Fats, carbs + protein = healthy fresh food.
  • annalisa2662
    annalisa2662 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    MFP suggested 1900. I lowered mine to 1700
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options
    MFP was giving me 2400+ calories a day to lose 2lbs a week. I manually adjusted to 2100/day to see how that works.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, i hope you find your magic number that works for you.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Play around with the numbers to see what works for your body right now. I'm set at 2400 right now but rarely make it to that as I'm just not hungry (side effect of a LCHF WOE). So if you're not hungry don't feel obligated to eat your calories.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    What is LCHF WOE?

I get 2660, as I am 400lbs and pretty active, I work on my feet all day plus swim twice a week and go to the gym 2-3 times also. I try not to eat back exercise calories.

However, my main goal is not weight loss, it is exercising my heart and staying active, plus keeping my blood sugar in control. Also trying to combat bone loss with weight lifting.

My DR told me quite clearly that weigh loss will be very hard for me as the combo of drugs I am on the average woman would gain about 11lbs a year, and I have been on them for years, with no end in sight,
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mfp has me at 2880 right now. I kinda want to try setting it at 2100 but I'm afraid I'll be too hungry and feel like poo
  • smacmillan86
    Options
    @Italian_Buju low carb high fat way of eating
  • smacmillan86
    Options
    @Shawn_in_OKC Keep it set to 2800 but aim personally to be below each day. That way you leave yourself wiggle room if you have a hungrier day, with no added guilt.
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Options
    Today was 3200 something calories with 1501 exercise calories, should I eat back some of my workouts calories?
  • ShaDucky
    ShaDucky Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I try personally not to eat mine. I figure they compensate if i have a mistake logging. And if not its extra loss potential
  • MissBecca145
    MissBecca145 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Today was 3200 something calories with 1501 exercise calories, should I eat back some of my workouts calories?

If you feel hungry then by all means do - healthily if possible. Your body has done some hard work. But if you don't then don't. That's generally how I roll.
  • EbonyWhiteMage
    EbonyWhiteMage Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2,300 I usually get close to eating it back and I usually eat back some of my calories burned. Pretty much I eat when I'm hungry and make sure I don't over eat so far I've been losing weight fairly steadily
  • smacmillan86
    Options
    I don't log my exercise so that there is no temptation to eat back the calories. The estimates given by MFP and fitbits, etc. are grossly overestimated and could lead you to eat back more calories than you actually worked to burn off.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I set myself low, 1800 at 300+ pounds.....1500 current. Never eat your exercise calories....I agree that they are overestimated.
  • alexnkae2012
    alexnkae2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just got below 400....399.4 to be exact (so excited by the way). My calories are set at 2200. I tend to hit between 1700 and 2000.
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Options
    I've been eating around 2800 not losing very much per week but am losing.