Carrots???

Options
I'm confused on the grams of carb in carrots. I love steamed carrots and MPV says there are only 2g of carbs per cup. But anywhere else it says there are 18g per cup???
If the later is right, then grams of carbs are waaaaaaay off.

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You're better off assessing your food based on weight instead of cups, it's a lot more accurate as the amount of carrots per cup will vary based on the style of cut.

And the USDA database is a good resource when you're doubting MFP. Here's the carrot data
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2901?fg=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Carrot,+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
  • Misskim121211
    Misskim121211 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OMG.....would explain why I am not showing ketones at all on my pee stick! I am way over my carbs for the day. My weight loss had stopped and I was wondering why.
    Your right I should weigh my food I had started off doing that but got lazy....

Thank you for the link!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep. With something like carrots re: different sizes etc, weighing is best. I can cram a whole bunch of cooked carrots into a cup when I feel like it. Or scoot them around accordingly to get the biggest bang for my "cup".

I don't weigh all things every time but this AM I decided to do so. 13 grams (1 tablespoon) of mayonaise is a tiny little amount. I was honestly right on the money...until I licked the spoon...
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    . I was honestly right on the money...until I licked the spoon...

I notoriously cheat myself by adding just a splash more of whatever I measure to account for the "left over" that stays in the container when I measure.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Sigh....I weighed my mayonnaise today. I'm scarred for life.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Ever weigh PB? That's sadness right there, too.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    28 g of macadamia nuts is the saddest little pile I have ever seen. I almost cry with jealousy watching Wittrocks' 21 day challenge and the massive amount of macadamia nuts he gets to eat.

This with my brazil nuts sometimes only eating one or two....They are my favorite nut.....
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Cashews with marmite. But the carbs can get a grown man to break down in tears.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Cashews with marmite. But the carbs can get a grown man to break down in tears.

Yes!! I bought myself a tin (just sslted cashews) for a work snack... promptly and grudgingly brought them home for the others to eat after horrifying myself with the numbers. All nuts are not created equal.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Oh *kitten*! Now I have to do it. :s

How far off your estimated tablespoon equivalent were you the first time you weighed PB?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

Oh *kitten*! Now I have to do it. :s

How far off your estimated tablespoon equivalent were you the first time you weighed PB?

a serving of PB, the supposed 2 tbsp, is 32g. My measuring spoon measures 1 tbsp as 21g. So 2 tbsp was 42g. A 10g difference. Which is 57 extra calories. :scream:

That's not too huge a deal for some but close to your goal weight, where you have very little wiggle room, it's bad.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options

this...probably why I am maintain instead of losing...

waaaaah

• Misskim121211
    Misskim121211 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So I cut the carrots out of my menu for two days...and tested with a strip and it showed moderate ketones. I am embarrassed to say how many cups off carrots I was eating a day! In my defense I thought there was only two carbs per cup..lol