Sugar In Your "Natural" Sea Salt?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
I know, I know. Why am I surprised?

I started looking through my post-purge cupboard for more candidates for the dustbin. I started with shakeable containers that might be expected to contain those notorious additives and "anti-caking agents," like maltodextrin, dextrose, cellulose (wood fiber), etc.

Lo and behold, Hain Pure Foods Sea Salt contains dextrose. :s

61j9Jez%2BoDL._SX522_.jpg

Bah, humbug!

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    They use potato starch in the UK to keep grated cheese from sticking together. I grate it myself for that reason, but I'd still take potato starch over the questionable cellulose they use in America. So gross!

And yes, the anti-caking agent is reason enough to keep a stocked salt grinder in your kitchen and to avoid the powdered fake sweeteners as they have that crud too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I only get the crystals, so ingredients are usually sea salt only.

I did, however, at Walmart earlier this week find a sea salt version of lite salt - sea salt and potassium iodide. I didn't pick up the container, but it was under a different brand...so could be interesting, if those are in need.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Humbug indeed. :frowning:
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yep I buy a big bag of the pink stuff and fill up my salt grinder. Ingredients label says it contains salt only. It amazes me though when I read labels in the shops where they sneak sugar in. What hope do people have? It's like they're trying to poison us on purpose. And they wonder why everyone has diabetes now.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I started looking through my post-purge cupboard for more candidates for the dustbin. I started with shakeable containers that might be expected to contain those notorious additives and "anti-caking agents," like maltodextrin, dextrose, cellulose (wood fiber), etc.

Bah, humbug!

I have that one with iodine because last year one of my blood tests showed I was lacking in iodine. I sprinkle small amounts on my serves. I cook with Costco's Sea Salt, only ingredient is natural sea salt. I do have some pink Himalayan salt crystals for special things. Plain sea salt is my go to.

DH is the one at our house with T2D, he gets sea salt, if he ever tests lacking in iodine, we will get the tablets. I'm not feeding him dextrose.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sugar free honey! What kind of marketing scam is THAT!?
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i found dextrose in my tube of minced garlic :( back to crushing my own
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sugar free honey! What kind of marketing scam is THAT!?

It might help relieve constipation.... :o
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options

Bah, humbug!

FWIW, the Hain non-iodized does not contain the dextrose...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Bah, humbug!

FWIW, the Hain non-iodized does not contain the dextrose...

Aha! Same with Morton's.
    Therein lies the rub.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy

iodine can be absorbed topically if you don't want to have to deal with the sugar they add to iodized salt - Lugol iodine is the most stable form
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy

iodine can be absorbed topically if you don't want to have to deal with the sugar they add to iodized salt - Lugol iodine is the most stable form

Thanks I had no idea it came in a topical form except for scratches and cuts. I'll be looking into this. I do love sea salt, so was happy to have some even if other things came along with it. All these sugar forms add up, so being able to cut it out totally is great.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    swing72 wrote: »
    i found dextrose in my tube of minced garlic :( back to crushing my own

Blcck! I use this occasionally....I'll have to check mine!