When logging exercise, it adds more steps?

Options
I've noticed after logging an exercise on fit bit that it will add steps than what my device actually says. Then about a minute later those steps are added on my device. Is that accurate?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Only when you manually log step-based walking or running workouts.

But why would you do that?

When you do, and you input the distance - MFP is assuming you know accurately that distance, so it divides that by stride length for how many steps it would have taken.
    That is your new step count, and just like calorie burn and distance it replace what Fitbit saw for that chunk of time - and those don't count towards any challenges as it would be easy to cheat then.

What that means is your stride length for that pace was off - your daily distance changed too.
    That may be fine - rarely is your exercise level pace equal to your average daily pace that is a much bigger % of your daily walking time. Neither would you want your daily walking time inaccurately higher calorie burn just so your exercise time was correct.

Now, why are you logging the workout manually?

May have some solutions if any needed.
  • jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I log my workout on Fitbit only. I thought that was better to do for a more accurate calorie burned?
  • heybales
    Options
    At least Fitbit's database is used better than MFP's.

But considering what happened - you are logging walking or running. There may be a couple other specific ones that work the same way, replacing step counts.

Where are you getting your calorie burn figures from to replace what Fitbit comes up with?

What distance and calorie burn does Fitbit say, compared to what you input?

And which device, there are many, notably step/HR-based and step-based calorie burn.
  • kfrodgers
    kfrodgers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Now, why are you logging the workout manually?

May have some solutions if any needed.

I'm interested, please share.
  • heybales
    Options
    If you create your own exercise (like I created a Jog / Walk intervals, and others like that) that may still be a walking or running workout - the fact it is created means Fitbit doesn't do the auto-math that results in changing the steps.

So lets say you have your running stride length set at a certain avg pace that is great accuracy for 2 runs you do a week.
    But you do 2 interval runs each week and a slower longer run where the accuracy is not good at all for distance from Fitbit, and calories is bad too (if step-based device, HR-based device calorie burn just as decent).

You can create your own exercise called Intervals and just use it. You enter the distance and time, you can enter in calories if you think more accurate estimate, or leave blank and it'll calculate it based on actual distance and time.
    But it won't mess with your steps at all as seen by Fitbit.

So steps that would used for challenges still counts.