Induction at >20g carbs. Do you raise once done?

Options
Zengrizzly
Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
I've read a lot about this and curious what everyone's take is.
I know most low carb diets request >20g carbs for the first 14 days.

I've seen that most add 5g of carbs a week after induction until they stop seeing weight progressing.

Currently, I'm inclined to keep it at the >20 and just have a refeed meal once a week.

Thoughts?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Dunno - I am not the most experienced here, but I set a goal of 5%. 20 net carbs is my soft limit every day. The hard limit is the 5%. Sometimes I screw up or circumstances are such that I go over the hard limit, but I don't do it on purpose.

FWIW, I am losing weight, and I found that low carbs helped (a lot) with the glucose levels - I am type 2 diabetic. The low carb diet sems to be helping with the weight loss, and I feel good. It has been easy for me to follow (at home anyway).
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For roughly the last month I've been averaging about 16g of carbs (my first month, first time). I just hit my target weight & waist, so I'm planning on upping my carb intake average to somewhere between 20-25g to see how much of a difference it will make.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are following Atkins, that's how you'll do it. :)
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think I will stay a lot of time at less than 20 net carbs because it is possible and because I feel great under, there are many options so I do not intent to increase.I am a Ketoer, but I think Atkins is very closed to that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, keep doing it. If you want more carbs in your life, and can handle them, then add more in now, or at whatever milestone seems revelant (like a size 34 pant or 10 lbs above goal, or whatever).

I added in the option of 10 more grams of carbs per day once I hit maintenance. Up to 30g. I've discovered that I feel better when carbs are lower so I won't use it often. Or at least that is the plan.

Do what works for you. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yep. It's pretty much whatever works and appeals to you in this forum. We have everything from Carnivore on up to perhaps 150 carbs or so. Also Slow Gylcemic, Medically Therapeutic Ketogenic, etc. There seems to be lots of "best fit" tweaking going on as well as those who adhere to a very specific protocol. That protocol may involve various types of refeeds of many definitions.

I've not engaged in refeeds...at least not intentionally. ;) I occasionally have higher calorie days (I've hit maintenance and have been for a couple of years) and for the last several months have kept them "Medically Therapeutic Ketogenic" (for a neurological movement disorder).

A keto refeed (higher calorie) has no ill effect on me. A high carb (sweets) non-keto refeed would have been unintentional and a binge. That phase of my "journey" has been gone for several months and hopefully gone forever.

If your refeed is keeping you compliant long term for weight loss, that's a plus in my book.