Donating Blood

Options
I'm an avid donor of blood. But my question lies in the recovery: You are encouraged to eat and drink sugar, to replenish your system. Typical offerings include cookies, baked goods, chips, pop and juice.

A) Does keto effect giving blood?
B) What do you consume after donating that isn't full of sugar/carbs?

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    In my experience the offerings depend greatly on the location and people. I gave blood religiously as a college student in rural Missouri and the ladies there always had ham sandwiches and coffee for you. When I donated for a work drive once, they offered orange gummy candies, cookies, and juice and I was all "WHERE IS MY HAM SANDWICH?!?"

Mostly, the blood donation staff just want to make sure you're not going to pass out 3 feet outside the door, so if you have your own food and drink water, no big thing. Just make sure you're not light headed, barfy, etc. when you leave. I've snacked on jerky post donation and no one present really cared.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything after donating.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No insights into what you should or shouldn't eat, but please accept my thanks for donating! My mother was transfusion dependent for many years prior to her death.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm LCHF, not keto, so not sure how much will apply...I also usually have really low blood pressure and have to make them lay me back during donation so I don't pass out. I usually go immediately for the orange juice, but skip the snacks, and I make sure I sit there for a full 5 min before trying to walk back to my desk. I don't usually eat breakfast, but will make sure I eat right after donating whatever time it is, something substantial like eggs or a giant salad with tuna. The OJ is enough to keep me feeling peppy until I can get real food consumed. And I usually take the day kind of light on the exercise. My next blood donation is the 22nd, should be fun!!!
  • VSGJOE
    VSGJOE Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good question. I was going to donate the other day and I was concerned. After some thought, I figured a diet soda and a beef stick or jerky would suffice. Plan on donating this weekend.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid donor of blood. But my question lies in the recovery: You are encouraged to eat and drink sugar, to replenish your system. Typical offerings include cookies, baked goods, chips, pop and juice.

A) Does keto effect giving blood?
    B) What do you consume after donating that isn't full of sugar/carbs?

In my experience donating plasma, I don't need anything but water and salt. The first time I did it, I felt very tired for a full day afterward. But I'm sure I just didn't get enough salt.
    After that I really watched it and never had a problem again.
  • cr8ivewonder
    cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll likely bring along a SF vitamin water and some pepperoni or jerky. Then will have some broth and butter once I'm home.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I give blood all the time on a meat-only diet. No problems at all. I just grab a water on the way out.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The place i go has cheese and crackers so i grab 3 cheese slices and no crackers
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just grab some water, and have some cheese and nuts. Its more about the fluids for me. As a previous poster mentioned its about not fainting when you leave!