Favorite Weight lifting Resource / Program

Options
Farback
Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
Another new topic attempt

What is your weight lifting style and what resources / programs do you use?

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I started power lifting a few months after my heart attack in 2014. I figured if I had to put in hours of gym time every week, I might as well build a plaything for the wife instead of flailing away on the machines. I started on a 5x5 program and soon moved to a system from startingstrength.com. I've never looked back. The books put out by this company are very detailed, and easy to read and re-read. I've progressed through the novice phase of lifting, and after two years I'm an intermediate lifter. I'm stronger than I've ever been at 60. I lifted in high school. and have always done some unorganized lifting since then, but this system has actually added noticeable muscle. Even with the remaining belly I continue to fight, wifey is pleased with the shoulders and arms.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I've never really done much weight lifting
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I pretty much just started lifting with a trainer in 2013 and 2014 doing whatever they gave me. At the end of 2014 I started doing more defined programs........"New Rules of Lifting for Women", "Strong Curves" followed by about 6 months in late 2015 of "Strong Lifts 5X5".

A frozen shoulder set me back this year but I came back with Arnold's Supersets for Chest/Back and Triceps/Biceps and regained most of the strength I'd lost due to injury.

Right now I'm doing a 4 day split that I borrowed from a friend who's been doing this split for about 5 years with a few variations............I'm loving it except that now I have a knee injury which is making me adjust leg day..........no big deal though, I always figure out a work around.

I'd rather lift weights than any other exercise I might do but I was enjoying running for awhile. I'll probably get back in the pool in a couple of weeks if I still can't run.....:(

I've decided I want to lose about 10 more lbs in the next 6 months or so and doubt I'll make much in the way of strength gains because of the deficit but at my age if I can just maintain my strength I'll be happy.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,056 Member
    Options
    I did power lifting and body building when I was younger. My cousin was "into" it heavily and he did all of the training logs and planning. I just showed up and lifted. Result was that I didn't learn much... not good...

After I moved for work, I continued at the gym, using routines I remembered... but without someone to guide me, I found out all of the negatives of training involve low information gym monkeys like me. So I did the lifts I liked more and heavier... introducing muscle/joint imbalances to the point of damaging my rotator cuffs. Strong like bull; smart like stump.

Marriage, kids, career... I put my energy into other areas. Now, nearly 30 years later, divorced and discovering work/life balance is actually a thing.... I'm dealing with those injuries through a combination of physiotherapy, working out with a personal trainer, ergonomics at the office... all of the fun stuff...
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have recently started Greyskull LP. Really like the simplicity and flexibility of the program and the fact that it is setup with a 3 day split.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If I put 225 pounds or more on the bar and bench it or dead lift it I end up dealing with pain. I want to lift but I'm not interested in a plan that will take me to a place where I am in pain as a result. I lift lower weight for 30-60 minutes pretty much non stop. I'm not burning my muscles out, so I just move from one muscle group to another and use each exercise to rest the muscles I'm not using. I have gained a lot of strength doing this. Have focused a lot on my back because years at a desk have given me a poor posture. My posture is now noticeably different because I can pull my shoulders back and down and keep them there. I also have started using the ab wheel because you need to have strong abs to use it. Hate ab work the wheel is quick and effective.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in January 2014. I was sick of losing my strength and wanted to build some muscle and lose fat. I contacted a family friend that does power lifting to see if he would help me out.

For the last 3 years I have been lifting I have been pretty hit and miss but I have been doing it. This morning I went to the gym to deadlift. I was able to pull 4 plates. Only one rep mind you, but at 52 years old, I think that's pretty good. I plan on pulling 4 plates for a set of 6 by the end of the year.

My wife loves the muscles even though she always said it does nothing for her. Yeah, ok.