new to lchf need help re exercise

Options
I have been doing lchf since monday and lost on average 1lb each day.
The thing im unsure about is if i exercise mfp ups my carb goal so do i meet that or do i stay at 20g?
I exercise on avearge 6 times per week and burn around 700 calories per session (kickboxing)
Any help and advice is appreciated thank you

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You'd stay at your hard target. MFP works off percentage, unless you become a premium member, which lets you set macros to specific numbers. As such, when total calories go up, all three scale up by default.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Is your goal to keep carbs under a certain number of grams? In that case I would say no don't increase your carbs. Is your goal to stay in ketosis? If so, then I would say no don't increase your carbs (perhaps) until you are better able to determine the level of carbs that you can consume (given exercise) and still remain in ketosis. Generally speaking if one exercises, they may well be able to increase carbs a bit and still stay in ketosis but one would need to experiment and find their own N=1.

It is an inherent problem with MFP using percentages when most would say to monitor intake by grams not a percentages especially when it comes to carbs on LC.

I choose to stay in ketosis so work around the fact that MFP ups all my macros with exercise by always entering my calories burned as 1. That is really unnecessary because I know the number of carb grams I wish to stay under but I do it anyway because I like to keep the non exercise number of grams in mind. I'm in maintenance so exercise for the health benefit versus MFP's N.E.A.T. basis of burning calories so eat more though I occasionally eat more because I'm hungry and have the "cushion" of exercise.

One does not have to be in ketosis to lose weight but for now, my short answer is don't up your carbs.

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for clearing that up :smiley:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There is never a need to eat carbs in any amount.
    If you want to allow more on exercise days, that's absolutely your choice. If ketosis is your goal, then you'd have to test to see if eating more affects that or not.
    But in general, people tend to ignore the percentages and instead focus on grams. If you are set at 20g carbs then your goal is to stay under that no matter if you earn extra calories or not. But again, that's only if that's your choice.
    You don't ever need to reach that 20g. Your body has zero need for external sources of carbohydrates. But if you want to eat 20g or more, that's totally your choice.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday so i think i will stick with trying to stay under 20g as ive been ok so far. I dont tollerate them too well so the lower the better :smile:

Thankyou everyone
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, no. A lot of people consider the original carb amount to be a hard cap. That is, any "earned calories" ideally come from protein and fat, regardless of what MFP says.

That said, you can if you want, and you can consider that amount to be a "flexible cap," where you you're "allowed" to get your extra calories from carbs, up to that new amount. Some people find it easier, especially if they have a high energy expenditure.
  • anapauo1102
    anapauo1102 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I read a lot on keto and conclude to stay at original (non-exercise) carb and protein gram goals.. the fat is flexible, the filler.. and don't even have to eat the fat up to ~70%.. eat it until satiety or up to max (without exercise) goals.. if we don't eat all our fat, the idea is that the body will resort to its own fat.. jason fung, butterbob youtubes are among some good resources. .. And don't change macro gram goals based on the MFP app modifying them when we exercise.. hope that makes sense.. just what i believe after a lot of research.. Best ahead!