Working out and Weight Loss

Options
Hey Guys! Happy Fridayyyy!! How many of you are working out and changing your diet? What's your favorite workout? Cardio? Weights? Classes? I'm trying to get some new things worked into my routine. Right now I'm pretty much just walking/running (interval training) and using a rowing machine. Which, by the way, I love. I would expect my weight loss to be more based on the amount of cardio I'm doing but I guess I'm just gaining muscle because I there has not been much move on the scales. I'm trying not to get discouraged but it's hard. BUT I do notice I'm sleeping better, feeling more energetic and happy so... there's that. :) Good luck this weekend everyone! Looking forward to seeing results Monday!

Replies

• JeannetteC2017
    JeannetteC2017 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great job with what you are currently doing. So far, I'm more on the calorie side of thing. Need to get moving more, but seems to be a bit of a mental hurdle for me.
  • MindyAmy
    MindyAmy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As a former athlete I am very into weight training and cardio as well. (Soccer for 16 years) Don't know how you feel about it but for me going to a gym made me feel like a fish out of water. The only think I liked were the classes but the money just wasn't worth it. I bought myself a set of 3lb,5lb,and 8lb dumb bells and headed off the the library to rent work out DVD's to see what I liked. I highly recommend the Library as a weight loss resource. They have DVD's and diet/meal plan books too. Turned out I really like Bob Harper. I have several of his DVD's now and I do them at work on my lunch break. (That way I don't loose time at home.)

To keep me motivated with training I've signed up to do the tough mudder race this summer with my brother. (He is a former army medic and the team is all full time medics and firefighters so I have to be fit to keep up with them for 12 miles.) I have 109 Day's 18 hours and 10 min until the race.

"How do you eat and Elephant...?" one bite at a time.
  • jbells93
    jbells93 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just a note to say...be careful. There's been a not of new research on this lately, actually, and it turns out that while exercise is absolutely beneficial to your health, and may someday help you maintain your weight, when it comes to weight loss itself, it's pretty much all about what you put in your mouth. There are a lot of complicated reasons for this, but for most people, the amount of time exercising required to burn off significant calories is just not realistic. Even an hour's brisk cardio will only burn a few hundred calories at most. It will also INCREASE your appetite, while giving you the excuse to eat that Snickers, cuz you worked out, right?!?! It can be a really dangerous loop without incredible scrutiny. So, work out for health, but rely on your diet and calories for weight loss. Good luck!
  • MindyAmy
    MindyAmy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    jbells93 wrote: »
    Just a note to say...be careful. There's been a not of new research on this lately, actually, and it turns out that while exercise is absolutely beneficial to your health, and may someday help you maintain your weight, when it comes to weight loss itself, it's pretty much all about what you put in your mouth. There are a lot of complicated reasons for this, but for most people, the amount of time exercising required to burn off significant calories is just not realistic. Even an hour's brisk cardio will only burn a few hundred calories at most. It will also INCREASE your appetite, while giving you the excuse to eat that Snickers, cuz you worked out, right?!?! It can be a really dangerous loop without incredible scrutiny. So, work out for health, but rely on your diet and calories for weight loss. Good luck!

I totally agree!!!!! Always watch what it is you put in your mouth. Both the quantity and the quality of food counts in this crazy journey called weight loss. Best of luck everyone!!!