Hello

Options
lattywg
lattywg Posts: 15 Member
I started normal low carb on January 7th with an average of 6hrs cardio st the gym. I'd only lost 6lbs. Started keto last Sunday and down 4lbs. I'm really struggling with the fats that make me a bit queasy. I'm 207 and target is 250 by end of June. I'm also combining the 5:2 and 16:8 IF. All the best. I've also got PCOS.

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm Lori, pleased to meet you.

If you're not hungry, you don't HAVE to eat so much fat it's making you ill. One of the more experienced members will chime in soon, I'm sure. I just wanted to welcome you. If you'd like a new friend, I'm here!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

I agree about the fat. Someone around here posted that we already have the high fat, now all we need is the low carb. ;)

Try to find fatty foods you like such as cheese, bacon, nuts and nut butters, or even some whipped cream if you feel you need more calories.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! I'm higher carb than most around here(try to stay under 75) but I totally agree about the fat. You're doing both 5:2 and16:8? Wow, that's a lot to keep track of!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I see you have an MCT Oil entry in your diary yesterday. 2 Tablespoons. 1 shot. I am an MCT Oil user since I follow a medically therapeutic diet and fats are necessary for my diet. Point: I'd be careful using such a quantity initially (only saw that 1 MCT Oil entry in your diary of they days I looked at). Every MCT Oil bottle (that I have looked at on line or in hand) indicates one should ease into the use. It can be very disruptive to the system and perhaps be what is mada you feel queasy (prompting your post). 2 tablespoons in 1 shot might be too high for beginning use.

Additionally, has your nutritionist discussed the need for increased sodium and perhaps magnesium supplementation while following a ketogenic diet? You might want to discuss this with him/her and see if it OK on your program. Some people may be on medications that indicate to not use high levels of sodium (not sure if that is the case with you). A ketogenic diet tends to be diuretic so increasing sodium to replace excreted sodium is needed by most individuals. I use chicken broth with additional salt added to keep my sodium up. Feeling queasy is indicative of "keto flu". It may not be the fat but rather unbalanced elyectrolytes that is making you queasy.

Lastly, it is common to read "you don't need to eat all the fat". Check that with your nutritionist regarding YOUR program. Low carb/moderate protein/high fat may be needed (eat all the fat) versus what many ultimately do which ends up low carb/high protein/moderate fat. LC/HP/moderate Fat is fine, just not fine for everyone.

ETA: This from our "Launch Pad" (under announcements)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/keto-flu-dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

• milgord
    milgord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer to supplement my fat intake with heavy whipping cream than MCT or coconut oil. Straight oil makes me a bit queasy and I'm not buying the hype on MCTs yet. The macros are about the same (same enough for me) and HWC is so much more pleasant on the palate and incorporates better into shakes, soups and sauces.

I add however much HWC I need to up my fats to however much chicken broth I need to up my sodium (about 4-5K a day). I use the Better than Bouillon in some boiling water, stir to dissolve and then add HWC. I add black pepper or crushed red pepper for a kick. It's creamy, rich, delicious, satisfying and feels like a treat. You can replace some of the HWC with some butter if you like. I equate 2oz HWC to 1TBSP oil/fat. You can also easily turn this concoction into a full meal by adding protein and veggies to make a great soup.

Agree with @kpk54 about electrolytes. Keep an eye on your sodium intake as well as your macros, with respect to your health conditions. You need more electrolytes and minerals on keto and it's easy to not get what you need, which causes weakness, headaches and general malaise (keto flu). I also supplement with a Sodium/ Potassium/ Magnesium tab a couple times a day to prevent fatigue. It's called Thermo Tabs and is available on amazon. I prefer the tabs since there's no need to add to water in order to make a drink, the NUUN are way more expensive per dose and I'd rather just pop the pills.
  • lattywg
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! I'm higher carb than most around here(try to stay under 75) but I totally agree about the fat. You're doing both 5:2 and16:8? Wow, that's a lot to keep track of!

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for the friend request! Another nod for not forcing the fat. If you're not hungry there is no need to cram more fat in til nausea. Once you have some decent macros, nail the carbs, nail the protein and eat fat until you're satisfied!

One of the best quotes I've heard and really changed my thinking around this woe was posted above and many other times in these groups, your body is already high fat you just have to add low carb!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

In terms of fat, if you are trying to lose weight, your body doesn't care if it burns fat from your diet or fat from your body, so eat to satiety, but don't worry about not having enough in your diet. Only increase it to what you need for satiety and your body will pull the rest from where you have your storage. As your body adapts to burning fat, you will find you have times when you are well below calorie goal but not hungry. Don't worry about force feeding yourself. In those times, your body is just burning the fat from your body. You will have other times when you are hungrier.
  • lattywg
    Options
    Thanks a million everybody.

I'm on medication for HBP so I'll definitely make an appointment to see GP ASAP. I've been drinking 1 tsp of bouillon daily since I started which definitely make me feel better when I'm feeling dizzy etc. I read somewhere that I could also have baths in Epsom salt and that seems to be helping as well. I've been on and off low carb food plans for the last 4 years so it could jolly well be the keto flu that I'm underestimating. I was on low carb for 5 previous weeks since starting keto so I assumed I wouldn't or it wasn't the flu. Silly me
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    lattywg wrote: »
    Thanks a million everybody.

I'm on medication for HBP so I'll definitely make an appointment to see GP ASAP. I've been drinking 1 tsp of bouillon daily since I started which definitely make me feel better when I'm feeling dizzy etc. I read somewhere that I could also have baths in Epsom salt and that seems to be helping as well. I've been on and off low carb food plans for the last 4 years so it could jolly well be the keto flu that I'm underestimating. I was on low carb for 5 previous weeks since starting keto so I assumed I wouldn't or it wasn't the flu. Silly me

Sodium only affects a small number of people in terms of HBP, but better safe than sorry to get this checked. Many people, including one of the recent posts here, have found they were able to stop HBP medication after going keto. I don't know how it is over there, but here in the US, there are BP machines in nearly all pharmacies and many grocery stores. If I were taking meds for this, I would check regularly at these just to see if there are any notable changes - positive or negative.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Even if you suspect keto flu, see your doctor and see if you can handle increased sodium, magnesium and potassium. Those electrolytes being flushed out of the body more rapidly on a keto woe are the reason for the flu. Usually it's thought that at the accelerated rate they leave the body on keto that it's ok to increase intake, but better safe than sorry, see the doc.