Weight loss and the first month after VSG

Options
Elyseinchi
Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
Okay... I'll admit that I am a daily weigher. I weigh myself not so i become a head case rather to keep my accountability to myself present.

Anyway... I was sleeved two weeks ago. I've been diligent.! The water weight I gained during surgery came right off plus an additional 7. However the scale has not moved in days... any thoughts on this. What have your experiences looked like? Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ah...the good old scale. Trust me when I say that there will be days and sometimes weeks when the scale won't move. I too was a daily weigher at one point but gave it up as I just drove myself insane with it. Now, I weigh every week or two weeks. Your body will retain water and respond in different ways to the surgery. Two weeks ago after busting my hump and eating right, I lost 1lb. 1lb for the week! :D This past week, I lost 3.4lbs.

Don't sweat what the scale says. For me, I just keep eating right, tracking every single morsel I can, getting enough water and exercising where I can.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but it's because I like to track the fluctuations. As long as that graph line is trending down overall, I'm good. I fluctuate a lot and always have. Surgery has only made it more evident. Too much sodium one day and I'm up 6lbs on the scale the next day. It's kind of ridiculous.

As far as the scale not moving, you're still healing. You're going to hold on to a little more water while your body recuperates. You're not going to lose weight in a linear fashion either. It'll most likely be like @StevenGarrigus said. You'll lose 1 lb one week, lose nothing the next week, and then lose 5 lbs the week after that. Bodies are annoying like that. :D
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @Elyseinchi - I'm not that far ahead of you (my surgery was two months ago). I remember having the same experience just a few weeks out and being very discouraged. I lost almost nothing weeks three and five out from surgery. The stalls (particularly the first one so early on) are disheartening, but keep doing what you're supposed to do and things will work themselves out. I've lost 44 pounds since Thanksgiving. Sometimes it feel like, "ugh, I've only lost 44 pounds. Why isn't it coming off faster?" Then, other days it feels like, "OMG!!!! I've lost 44 pounds since Thanksgiving. Holy Wow!" Sending good vibes your way.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    just remember weight is only one measure of health.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher and have been doing it for the past couple of years even when I wasn't successfully at weight loss. I have the Aria scale by Fitbit. It syncs my weight up so I have my weight history going back to 2013. The scales help me. I'm in maintenance and a 2+ gain makes me go back to the basics. Although I weight daily I truly only look at the Sunday weight. I ignore the daily fluctuations but come Sunday morning if I'm up 2 pounds it's back to the basics. I like weighing daily, it may not work for everyone but it works for me. During the weight loss phase when I hit a plateau I would then review my food intake and activity to make sure I wasn't lying to myself about what I was eating and how much I was moving. Lisidy, 44 pounds since Thanksgiving is 'excellent'!.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely stall and perhaps have small gains along the way. When I find myself in that place I increase my fluids and activity. I also try and have a protein shake for my meal vs solids. That seems to shake things up. Good luck and hang in there :)
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom and advice!!!! Very appreciated!!!!! I'm going to try to RELAX!!!
  • jodiwarren2014
    jodiwarren2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a two week stall also. It sucked. But I am now 12 weeks post op and down 44.6#. You will get there! I am also a daily weigher. It drives my husband nuts but I fee like it keeps me accountable! Good luck!
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    stalls are normal don't sweat it
  • Cathance92
    Cathance92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stalls are inevitable, lasting for a few days to weeks. Fortunately, it's just your body taking some time to catch-up with all the changes you've made. You will see the result at some point. If you're measuring, you will continue to see results when you take your measurements during the stall. That's always a plus. Just keep your chin up and keep on track with your protein and water. It will end.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There was a thread here a few months ago where a bunch of us listed our monthly totals. It showed the breadth of experiences. No one can predict you experience, but it will likely fall within the group's, if that makes sense to you.