Hello :D

Options
sarahspractice
sarahspractice Posts: 19 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Hi Ladies, Lovely to find you all.

My name is Sarah, I'm a 26yr old perpetual uni student. I am just finishing my masters degree in April, then starting my PhD in July. I am working in medical/cultural anthropology AND my research is about pregnancy.

Hubby and I got married September 2016 on our 5 year anniversary. Planning to start TTC October/November this year and wanting to really work on a few health issues and get fit before then!

I've spent the last 2 years putting on weight to get up to a healthy range, so my main focus is on staying healthy, working through the digestive/intolerance/IBS issues, and working to make myself as fit and healthy as possible. Hubby really needs to loose a bit of weight (5kg) but won't use anything like MFP :smile:

I am really conscious of my health especially in relation to pregnancy as my family has a very strong history on both sides of prenatal and postnatal depression, and I struggled very badly with depression as a teen. I want to make sure I am all over this as an issue.

I am definitely on of those alternative health people. I could not function without my chiropractor or naturopath, they are both paths I will be using TTC and as pregnancy care.

We have been using FAM and condoms as necessary in the last 2.5 years and it has been such a great experience. We did have an oops, and then a miscarriage (at 6weeks) in October 2015. This was devastating, but also was a good platform for us to start seriously talking about marriage and wanting children.

Sorry, this is kind of long, just wanted to sort of cover all the bases haha. I am looking forward to participating here and getting to know you all

Sarah xx

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    @sarahspractice Welcome to the group, we're glad to have you! =)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! What is FAM? It's not a term I've heard before! Best of luck with the weight loss and the baby making ;)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @VeryKatie FAM is Fertility Awareness-Based Methods for birth control. If you want to read more about it, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/fertility-awareness
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit OOHH I didn't know what it stood for. But that's my plan for after this kid comes. Because artificial birth control (pills) sucks as does surgery! I always called it Natural Family Planning.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @VeryKatie I agree on both counts and it's my plan as well. No more hormones for this girl. (I've got 2 weeks and 6 days left on this pack and it's the last one!)

@sarahspractice I think I completely missed the part about your miscarriage when I first read this, that is terrible and it sucks that you had to go through that. HUGS! I also want to add just in case you missed it that we do a monthly challenge here, the spreadsheet is on the main page of the group and you can join in at any time!

• sarahspractice
    Options
    Thank you both. Yes FAM is NFP but more in depth as many people associate NFP exclusively with the rhythm method... Lots of great info to learn from NFP and FAM and many other variations of this sort.

Thanks @WifiresGettingFit it was incredibly challenging but it wasn't meant to be. It has been so grounding though. Before that I was definite I DIDNT want kids. Being pregnant even so briefly completely changed my perspective. It has also made us as a couple much stronger so we will be more prepared to parent.

Yes, I will join the challenge, I think I somehow added my details to Jan instead of Feb, but no matter I will work it out for March. I am mostly focusing on getting my macros right and getting in as much exercise as feels good.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @sarahspractice You're welcome, I'm glad something good came out of such a devastating experience.

It took me a while to find my happy spot with both calories and macros, I still have off days because life. haha but anyway, you'll get there - it'll just take time! =)

• VeryKatie
    Options
    @sarahspractice you signed up on the correct sheet.
    I am not sure what the rhythm method is either. But my sister did Natural Family Planning and was telling me she monitored her temperature, mucus and cervix position daily.

• sarahspractice
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    @sarahspractice you signed up on the correct sheet.
    I am not sure what the rhythm method is either. But my sister did Natural Family Planning and was telling me she monitored her temperature, mucus and cervix position daily.

Thanks, I will add data soon. Just not logging while renovating the kitchen, I don't want to know the mess eating out every meal is causing :)

Rhythm method was basically just counting cycle days...when it was assumed all women had a 28 day cycle and ovulated on day 14. It didn't work very well for a lot of women as most of us do not have cycles like clockwork.

Yes, I think it depends where in the world you are too. Here is Australia NFP gets a bad name, while FAM is considered quite successful. Different terms for pretty much the same things. I do temp and cervical fluid monitoring. I have a retroverted uterus so the cervical position is never quite accurate so I don't tend to bother.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    @sarahpractice I have a retroverted uterus too. So thanks for the review on that one task. If it ends up not being accurate for me too then I'll know why haha.