Living The Lifestyle (LTL) - - Friday, February 17, 2017

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Eating for satiety versus eating for nutritional goals.

Most of us likely strive to achieve some sort of balance between satiety and nutrition in our meals, but how that scale tips for each of us is likely different. Which is more important to you? How often and what kind of trade-offs do you make between achieving satiety from your meals versus achieving your desired nutritional goals? What are the biggest trouble spots (if any) for you in finding the right balance in this area?

Optional Question: Are you excited by your weekend weather forecast?

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling the past two months to get back in the weight loss groove. There are a number of reasons for this, but I think part of it is that I haven't been focusing enough on satiety in my meals, and as a result I'm snacking way too much - - especially at night. I've never been a late night snacker. I was going to rejoin WW but then decided to try MFP for a few months. I think I'm overthinking it too much on the macros and just need to ignore them and only look at calories for awhile. So right now, satiety is more important, and I think I need to lead with that. I think nutrition will follow shortly because when I was happiest on WW, I was doing SFT (i.e. eating mostly Power Foods and making room for occasional treats.)

The biggest (unsuccessful) trade-off I've been making lately is in fat consumption. Focusing too much on only lean proteins has left me very unsatisfied. I realized this when I made a delicious higher fat meatloaf the other night and felt satisfied at the end of the night for the first time in several weeks and didn't snack the rest of the night. (And I had the calories for the meatloaf.) The other area I struggle with is finding satisfactory gluten and dairy free treats. There are some tasty ones out there, but most are not terribly satisfying.

So it seems I need to re-learn how to "not diet" while I'm trying to re-learn/remember how to wring the most satisfactions out of my allotted calories/points. I thought I had that down, but apparently not.

Optional Question: I'm super excited about the weekend forecast! Blue skies and warmer weather? I may hug complete strangers.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've definitely found that I need to eat foods that satisfy me -- as in fill me up and keep me full for a long time. I too have found that eating some higher-fat foods tends to do this. Eating nothing but protein and vegetables just doesn't do it for me anymore. Even something as little as adding a tablespoon of butter (real butter) and sour cream to a baked potato helps.

As far as our weather forecast for the weekend -- yes, I'm looking forward to it. Highs in the upper 60's starting tomorrow and running into the middle of next week!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I will gladly make the tradeoff between a higher fat, more satisfying meal that is smaller versus a more voluminous low fat one. I would not last long on a diet that consisted of lean proteins and veggies.

Optional Question: I'm excited that I will be able to fit in a bike ride after my 8K trail race tomorrow. I am a little concerned, however, for my 3 hour trail event on Sunday as I haven't had any chance to acclimate to the warmer temps. The highs are predicted to be in the 60's. That is right at the point where things can start to go awry for me. I much prefer to run in temps 30 and below.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hmmmmmm. Well I only eat full fat full flavor cheese(usally soft ripened). I buy spendy soft ripened cheese in tiny amounts. I do eat a lot of tasty high volume food too. I enjoy lean protein for dinner most days and a modicum of craft brew too. Some chocolate too.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    edit not workin.

I don't worry about macros or micros but get plenty I am sure.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I think satiety has been critical, as you noted, because it helps me to avoid snacking unnecessarily. However, I also realize that much of my snacking is either from boredom or habit.

I generally prefer meals that have higher-volume rather than higher "density." An important part of my ability to feel sated is the feeling that I've spent some time eating. If I have a small amount of a high-calorie (high-filling) food, I'm still "hungry" afterwards. I know it's not real "hunger," but rather an expectation of more volume intake. I do recognize that if I wait for 20-30' afterwards, the "hungry" feeling goes away.

As such, I like to bulk-up my meals with lots of veggies. That really helps me balance my need for "satiety" while minimizing my caloric intake.

Regarding the weather report: it's supposed to get up to the high-50's here. I can live with that!
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Feeling sated is definitely more on my mind than nutrition. But we eat pretty balanced, healthy, home-cooked food, for the most part, so the nutrition takes care of itself.

As to weekend weather ... rain, rain and rain. Not too excited about that, but it's what we expect in Washington in February.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I got into WW at a point when men and women had the same points. Not all that familiar with current point counting, but assuming that dietary fat still comes a premium. It did when I started. The only way I could make it was find high volume, low to moderate fat food. As a result I ate a lot of grilled chicken and veggies. This would be too plain for a lot of folks but it worked for me. Also, I did find early on that if I went too far down the low fat road satiety would get to be an issue.

If I don't get enough dietary fat I get this jittery thing going where I can't stay out of the kitchen. So where I find myself is that I lost following mostly a low fat regime but find that I can add dietary fat and maintain. Best example is the egg, the whole egg. I eat quite a few per week now, never used to touch them.

Optional: As I live in Key West now, weather expected to continue to be great. Fishing Sunday, sunny and high of 80.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    I am another advocate for satiety. But, it doesn't mean one needs to give up nutritional goals.

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    Options
    For me I don't really feel full and try not to over eat because I am eating proper portions but it does not take me long to start picking at snacks.

I eat lean meats and lots of protein probably to much because I try to eat healthy foods but the snacks get in the way. This comes from me stressing which I need to work on.

Hope to enjoy the nice weather coming. Been loving my heat bill with the mild winter.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Great question, Emmie...makes me think! Nutrition is more important to me most of the time I think but lately I've been debating or considering the whole volume thing. Often it seems when I'm eating to stay within my points, it's usually pretty healthy stuff. Maybe if it's our customary meal out at one of several local joints, not quite as much, but rarely is it completely off the charts. However, lately I have been feeling like I want more food, leaning more toward satiety. Today for example, I met a friend for lunch and had a whole sandwich. Sandwiches aren't my norm anymore, especially not a grilled cheese but I planned for it. I found eating the whole thing did actually make me just a little uncomfortable (after the fact), but I also found it pretty well kept me filled up all afternoon. Maybe I've been cutting myself short in trying to stretch my points out through the day but this concept is definitely something I want to be more attentive to.

Ironically, I actually eat pretty healthy..now. I did before, but there was also a fair amount of stuff like french fries, beer, pizza, ice cream and baked goods involved (though usually not all at once). I think where I might be mis-stepping at times now is not eating enough at any one sitting. Trying to stretch out my points / food in small increments used to work pretty well for me but lately that's just not filling me up at any one time. So far, I haven't discovered whether there's any real pattern associated with activity or anything else, but I think looking more closely at this tradeoff might be insightful.

(ETA, having now read the other responses, I think @steve0mania might have hit on something I'm now finding makes a difference; not just how much I've eaten but how long it takes to do it. Point to ponder...)

As for the weekend forecast, I want to be excited by it, I really do. We actually had sunshine here today for the first time in about three weeks. Our winter has been a series of snowstorms followed by warming spike with rain--enough to melt all or most of the snow and then the cycle starts all over. After getting over a foot of snow earlier this week, it's supposed to be sunny and warm--in the 50s--for the next several days. I think I'm OK with it but I would actually prefer a little more moderation. Still, I can't complain. Some parts of the country are having or have had severe weather so I count my blessings!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    My plan for this is to fill the gap with salad, vegetables. Have tried to stick to lean meats, fish or chicken and turkey. If that plan doesn't work I may fall victim to loading up with more of the items that are not friendly with the WW system.

I'm not a real big snacker but sometimes if I don't get enough at the meal I may snack. DS and I plan ahead for these
    scenario's so satiety gets met.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    @88olds -- the only non-fat dairy that I use is skim milk. I found that I actually preferred it over full-fat or even 2% milk. I occasionally buy 1% but only if the only skim milk in the cooler is about to expire. Of course, I also usually only drink milk now in the form of hot chocolate :)
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would say I lean to satiety. I am pretty much a WW power food eater with the exception of using whole grain breads versus light, plus I eat avocado, peanut butter and use olive oil or canola for cooking pretty often. I fill up on a big salad with almost every dinner and roasted vegetables are a staple in my house to get the volume of food I need/like. For snacks I lean on apples, oranges and grapes. Recently added a bowl of multi grain Cheerios with milk to my night time snack rotation if I am particularly hungry.