Carbs

catz789
catz789 Posts: 35 Member
First of all, carbs are not the enemy. We need some carbohydrates for heathy brain function and to refuel our muscles. However, many people eat 5 servings or more of carbs per day. I have learned that we should have 3 servings of carbs per day to maintain OR 2 servings of carbs per day to lose weight. One serving of a carb is 1/2 cup or 1 slice bread.

I realize that not everyone agrees with me about limiting carbs to 2 or 3 a day. That's OK, whatever works for you! You may eat a various number of carbs and as long as your total calories for the day are below a certain level, you are fine. For me to lose weight, I need to limit my carbs to 2 or 3 a day.

When you eat protein, your body produces glucogon which signals Fat-Burning mode. (So if you are unsure what to eat, eat a little protein everytime you eat!)
When you eat a carb, your body produces glucose and insulin which signal Fat-Storage mode. First, your body will see if the liver is low and needs to store/use glucose. If there is some left, your body will then see if the muscles are low and need to store/use glucose. (Do you see why highly active athletes need to eat more carbs to replenish their muscles?!) If there is still some left, your body will store the rest of the glucose as fat (not our goal for the "biggest shrinker"!).

When we eat a carb, we should eat it WITH protein, fiber, or fat (the good kind, like avocado). These items slow down the digestion and keep our blood-sugar levels in the Fat-Burning Zone. So, if you are going to have a sugary dessert, have it immediately after your meal, not alone as a snack at 3 PM. When we eat a good whole grain carbs, it already has fiber in it.

Examples of healthy carbs include beans, lentils, green peas (pea soup), black-eyed peas, 100% whole wheat / high fiber bread, buckwheat, barley, amaranth, brown rice, etc.

I realize that limiting carbs is not popular and the topic can be quite emotional. (It has not been easy for me to avoid Rural King popcorn and not make sugary desserts!) However, I need to limit these carbs to lose weight. I have come up with some delicious alternatives for the baked goods. I made almond flour muffins sweetened with xylitol and dark chocolate chips. I also made almond butter coconut no-bakes sweetened with honey. If you want either recipe, leave a comment below and I will type the recipe into a post.

Blessings, Lisa

Replies

• dsdaiga
    dsdaiga Posts: 12 Member
    Sounds good and great for those of us who avoid gluten. Please share!
  • hzangel2
    hzangel2 Posts: 3 Member
    I definitely live a low carb life. Great info here for aome who dont know. I try to get my carbs from fruit mostly.
  • mnmilnes
    mnmilnes Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2017
    Great info Lisa! It is definitely helpful to be carb conscious even if someone is a little less restricted with carbohydrate servings. If I'm not watching and limiting carbs I can catch myself eating too many processed foods and desserts, then spending the rest of the day hungry and cranky. It's not to say we can never enjoy those things, but moderation and self-control are the fruits of walking in the Spirit and honoring the Lord with our behavior. I also wanted to ask what your thoughts are on banking your calories or carbs if you're anticipating eating out or a birthday party that evening? And do share your recipes, and your thoughts on artificial sweeteners.
  • catz789
    catz789 Posts: 35 Member
    A carb splurge now and then for a birthday party is not even going to show up on your scale! But if you are rich desserts everyday, then that would show up! I have heard the 80/20 rule. If you follow healthy eating 80% of the time, you'll be fine with the 20% splurges.

If I know I am going to eat a carb "splurge" that day, I choose protein options with veggies (and 1 fruit) for the rest of the day. I do not skip meals. Skipping meals to "store up calories for later" just sets you up for over eating at the party and storing everything as fat since your body has low blood-sugar and is in Fat-Storage mode. You can certainly "store up calories for later" though by just eating lower calorie, protein focused meals. Just please don't skip meals and show up famished and eat 3 pieces of cake. Go satisfied, but mildly hungry with steady blood-sugar level and eat 1 piece of cake with ice cream and feel satisfied and happy.

I will share the recipes in a separate post when I have time to type.

Blessings, Lisa