Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday - 02/22/2017

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: "That" Moment

Was there a moment where you suddenly realized something had to change in your life regarding your health and weight? What was that moment like? Did it have immediate effect; or, did it require some time to take root and shape before you took action?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    When my doctor told me I was diabetic. Scared the carp out of me. Actually lost 30-40 pounds using a program on my pc, got a new computer, and the weight loss program I had been using couldn't run on the upgraded platform, and they told me they were dropping the product, so I "groveled" my way , and weight, back to WW.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My moment kind of had phases. At the end of 2010, I weighed in and found that I had lost some weight since the previous time I weighed in. That got me going in the direction of I have to continue to lose (I had wanted to for a long time but never stuck to anything) with the unexpected loss, I was hopeful.

Next, about six weeks later, I was talking to my physician and discussing healthy foods and my husband asked about the Paleo diet and my physician said, it's not so much what you eat but how much. That was the moment it clicked in and I understood what I was doing wrong. I started watching portions and started losing weight. But then my brother and his family came into town and my losses stalled while entertaining them and when they left I could not figure out what to do now, what I had been doing did not seem to be working any longer. This is normally when I would quit, but I kept at it even without losses, I was maintaining.

Next I walked into a meeting at work, and one of the ladies said "the price of bananas is going up" it was a peculiar comment and I asked why? She said Weight Watchers just made fruits 0 points (we had done a short at work WW stint, thus her comment) I was intrigued.

Leaving that meeting I noticed a male co-worker was looking trim, I asked him "have you lost weight and what are you doing?" He said I am following WW unofficially, my wife is the member. I asked him to expand a little and he followed up with some tricks/practices he was using via email.

About 3 days later, I signed up for online only PointsPlus program...I was actually nervous as I made the commitment. Several weeks were tough, but once the weight started to come off I was sold and never looked back.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Unlike a lot of folks, I weighed regularly as the scale moved up. I'd go on stuffing myself, washing everything down with beer, and get on the scale the next day. Frequently, the scale would not move. "I'm OK" I'd tell myself. Then about 3 days later. 3 more lbs would just appear out of nowhere. I gained 100 lbs like this.

When I got to 285 I felt like total crap. Sleep apnea, high BP, back pain, and what seemed like a permanent cough. I couldn't walk farther than 2 blocks without resting. At 285 I said to myself "Where is this (the march up the scale) going to end?" The answer came back "Who said its going to end." The scale said 285 but I saw 300 lbs was in reach. I was just going to fat myself to death, leaving 2 little kids with no Dad.

It was Christmas Eve 1994, my daughter was 2. She left the room I was in, and as a 2 yr old will do, turned and said "Bye, bye Daddy." I thought, she's going to be doing that at my funeral.

I was going to start my WL plan as a New Year's resolution. I started Christmas, 1994.

Got a soft spot for anyone who shows up saying they are trying to lose to be a better dad.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    My recent moment was a complete stereotype. I saw a photo from my vacation and was horrified.

My original moment was never a moment. It was a constant realization that I didn't feel well, I wasn't energetic, I hated how I looked, and I hated that I was likely on a trajectory to keep gaining weight. I joined Weight Watchers and that helped for awhile, but it wasn't until graduate school that exercise and nutrition finally clicked. I hated grad school, but being isolated in the middle of nowhere is definitely one way to help change habits!
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    My most recent moment was this past weekend. I've been checking in here every day since last summer but have been up and down with living the lifestyle.

Over the weekend I was talking with my daughter and future son-in-law about their wedding plans this summer. She will be getting married just east of Denver in early August and it will most likely be HOT. They are having the ceremony outside with a barn style reception. They plan to invite 325 guests. As we were talking about the plans and how everything would be set up, I realized that it was going to be very difficult for me to help in a meaningful way with all their plans for decorating prior to the wedding. Not only would it be hard for me to climb ladders to hang lights, but I would be sweating like a pig the whole time.

So I'm back to LTL so I am not thoroughly embarrassed. It's not about how I look, because I have been fat my whole adult life. It is simply trying to save face in front of everyone as we make preparations in the days before the wedding. And I needed a good kick in the pants to realize that I'm not getting any younger. Carrying so much weight was not difficult until I hit 55. Since then, it is apparent that I've done some damage to my joints and feet.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    A bit like 88 olds. Weight came on in college and grad school with ups and downs . No real aha moment.
    Some real ohhhhh sheeeeeeeet moments looking in the mirror in a swim suit. True dat. My first real loss was also in grad school but regained later. Love the outdoors and biking too but can outeat my legs witnout a plan in my brain.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    AS with most, I suppose there wasn't a single thing that opened my eyes, but a series of events that pushed me toward the decision t take control. Photographs showed a 59-year old who looked like his 86-year old dad. I had a series of shots to treat painful knees and started wearing a big metal and plastic knee brace just to get around during the day. I bought a custom-tailored suit and was aghast to learn the trousers had a 39-inch waist.

The final event came at work. I was walking to another building and a car was approaching my crosswalk a bit too fast for comfort. I jogged from the middle of the street to the curb, to get out of the way. And I had to stop to catch my breath. Twenty feet and I was winded. That afternoon I signed up with a personal trainer at the gym next to the headquarters building (I worked on Fort Lewis) and the next week I started WW. I lost 60 lbs. over the next few months and have kept most of it off for almost eight years.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    While there are certainly moments when I realized I had to take action (candid photo of me at a wedding, catching sight of my reflection in the elevator which clearly showed the rolls of fat around my waist, my aching knee which was making walking up to the third floor at work a challenge), that action took a while to gain momentum and actually result in weight loss and improved health.

I'm currently struggling with weight creep that has been going on since last summer. Not sure what it is going to take for me to get serious about taking action that lasts more than a few days. Intellectually I know what I need to do (stop comfort eating), but finding viable alternatives for boosting my mood seems to be elusive as I still need to work for a living.

My mood is as gloomy as our weather this morning - foggy and mid 50's.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My moment definitely took many moments to take shape (more like 8 months to a year). It was a gradual process of 'thinking about it' that culminated in early 2014 with a visit to my doctor. Nothing serious though I reported that I was becoming quite the snorer as evidenced from my partner waking me up and telling me I was snoring. (Well, damn, did she have to wake me up to tell me that??)

Anyway, the doc told me he could send me to a clinic to be tested. Then I heard myself say "I want to try to address it with weight loss first." The next moment, I thought to myself "How many times do you think some other fat guy has sat here and said the same thing? You have no plan and really no intention of doing anything different." Just as I was processing that reality, the doctor suggested I lose five pounds, just five. He said, "you can do that". Best advice I could have gotten at the time! He and I both knew I needed to lose a lot more though at the time I really didn't know how much more. Shortly thereafter, I joined WW, found GOAD and have been here ever since.

In hindsight, the way it rolled out was after years of knowing I should not be letting myself get so big, but for various reasons, I did it anyway. By the time I joined, I had aches and pains in my joints, walking and hiking often wore me out quickly and I felt mentally defeated. I would often be self-conscious about my weight during conversations with colleagues. Though I gave a lot of presentations, I ducked behind the podium whenever possible. For whatever reason, that doctor appointment was probably my catalytic moment, but I had a lot of time to think about it before that day.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    It was gradual for me. In Mid Year of 2010 I joined WW and did fairly well but soon resumed back to a close weight of my high. Finally I had to have a Sleep test and after that at a weight of 400.8 lbs was my moment. I knew with my OSA under control I could proceed with a weight loss program in July 2011.